Chances of miscarriage week by week

hels08

mum of 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi all, i know they say that when you get to 12 weeks your chances of miscarriage reduce dramatically but does anyone know where you can find week by week stats, i.e chances after 6 wks, 7wks, 8wks etc. Thanks girlies! x

Dont think there is anything like that, cus theres no set rules, and as much as it's more common before 12 weeks, it can happen anytime, so don't think they like to make charts like that, it would make some people worry more!!

I found this;

The statistics regarding miscarriage vary widely depending on the source. Here are some of the basic numbers.

Almost 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, with the majority occurring during the first 12 weeks.

There is a 75% chance of miscarriage in weeks 1-2 of pregnancy, when you do not know you are pregnant.

There is a 10% chance of miscarriage in weeks 3-6 and this number drops to 5% during weeks 6-12.

During the second trimester the chance of miscarriage drops again to 3%. After you’ve reached 20 weeks gestation, it is no longer considered a miscarriage.

For repeat miscarriage the statistic are as follows:

If you have had a miscarriage during your first pregnancy, your chances of another miscarriage are 10-13%.

If you have had one or more live births and one miscarriage your chance of another miscarriage is around 10%.

There is a 40% chance of a repeat miscarriage if you have had two pregnancies and two miscarriages.

The chance of multiple miscarriages is lower, at around 13%, if you have had one or more live births.

If you have had three pregnancies and three miscarriages there is a 60% chance you will miscarry again. If you have had four miscarriages with no live births your chances of a healthy pregnancy drop to 0-5%.

here > https://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/337.html

Thanks flatshoes, thats great. I know you can never be 100% until baby is here, and my 12 week scan will reassure me loads but got 5 weeks until that! thanks for your help xxx

i think its still 15 % chance till 12 weeks unless you see a strong heart beat inbetween if you do at 6 weeks its about 5% then 8 weeks its 4% and 12 weeks 2% ( i got this told at 6 weeks emergancy scan as i was bleeding and seen a HB)

Jeez, Ive only a 40% chance of having this baby, knew I shouldnt have read that!

Maybe its not true - there are so many different versions!

I don't really think stats matter much for individuals! If you have a 1 in 10000000 chance of something but it happens to YOU then stats mean nothing!

We should just all concentrate on ourselves!

These are only average stats Lizzie - dont forget there are unfortunately women out there who have huge numbers of miscarriages- into double figures etc who have health problems to name just one potential variable which always skew (sp?) the figures.

Mizze

Great info!! Hels we are due the same day I think!!! :)

Miscarraige is up to viablity (24 weeks) but obviously alot rarer after 12 weeks - also for late miscarraige there is often a reason - not just an unexplained one.

Check out this link. I think its the kind of thing you are lookin for...

https://miscarriage.tripod.com/first_questions.htm

Thanks all. OOOOOHHHH we must be clare, im due 30th Jan, have added you as a friend, be nice to swap tales/troubles seen as we at exactly the same stage! xx

Thanks girls I am very sad today as my friend who has had one m/c 5 months ago is being insensitive with me and telling me not get my hopes up until after 12 weeks. I am 8 weeks and am getting nervous about things as this was about the time that things went wrong for her. I want to be able to celebrate this time with family and friends as I am starting to show a bit and people are noticing things.

Sorry for the depressing post but just had a text from her telling me to do what I want! I know she's still wore from what happened and I can understand that but I want to feel happy not sad and worried.

Personally I think the whole statistics stuff is a pile of crap...

not to be too heartless but if its gonna happen its gonna happen... no statistic in this world can prevent it.

Hi all I'm pregnant again (7+5) after a MMC in Jan this year, I was 13 weeks! I have had two scans so far, one at 5+4 that I paid private for (£90) and one via NHS yesterday arranged by my GP, am pleased to say all is well even after slight bleeding and some cramping. I have been told I have a small cyst on left ovary which explains the cramping.

I honestly want to have a scan every two weeks but at £90 a go I just can't afford it, however, I would advise any of you that are worrying to have one done. It was the best thing I'd ever done, I would never of made the further 6 weeks until the routine scan. You can search the net for your local private hospital and just call up and book in xxxxxxx

Hi all I'm pregnant again (7+5) after a MMC in Jan this year, I was 13 weeks! I have had two scans so far, one at 5+4 that I paid private for (£90) and one via NHS yesterday arranged by my GP, am pleased to say all is well even after slight bleeding and some cramping. I have been told I have a small cyst on left ovary which explains the cramping.

I honestly want to have a scan every two weeks but at £90 a go I just can't afford it, however, I would advise any of you that are worrying to have one done. It was the best thing I'd ever done, I would never of made the further 6 weeks until the routine scan. You can search the net for your local private hospital and just call up and book in xxxxxxx

They can also become very addictive. I spent £800 on private scans with my second pregnancy. Insane amount of money.

If its simply the heartbeat you girls want to see on U/S, I'd
advise a doppler for short term reassurance until you get your scan.
I've been there, the scan addict and it cripples your bank balance after a few

Hi all, i know they say that when you get to 12 weeks your chances of miscarriage reduce dramatically but does anyone know where you can find week by week stats, i.e chances after 6 wks, 7wks, 8wks etc. Thanks girlies! x
I was just reading that M/C goes up to 20 weeks...and I thought we're safe at 12...

Maybe its not true - there are so many different versions!

I don't really think stats matter much for individuals! If you have a 1 in 10000000 chance of something but it happens to YOU then stats mean nothing!

We should just all concentrate on ourselves!

exactly! I've never thought I'd be 1 in 10.000 but I was in my previous pregnancy(amniotic band syndrome) and also-I do not drink,smoke,do drugs,change parners..no stds ever,no abnormalities,healthy first baby...totally healthy person-but..it happened-1 in 10.000....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->