Chances of miscarriage week by week

Thanks girls I am very sad today as my friend who has had one m/c 5 months ago is being insensitive with me and telling me not get my hopes up until after 12 weeks. I am 8 weeks and am getting nervous about things as this was about the time that things went wrong for her. I want to be able to celebrate this time with family and friends as I am starting to show a bit and people are noticing things.

Sorry for the depressing post but just had a text from her telling me to do what I want! I know she's still wore from what happened and I can understand that but I want to feel happy not sad and worried.

Wow, your friend is being really insensitive!! We all know things can go wrong, but there is no point in acting like they WILL go wrong! You have every right to be excited, and your friend should understand that.

Try not to let her upset you, and carry on enjoying your pregnancy. I have had comments from people saying it's too early to get excited and I shouldn't have told people yet as it might "jinx" the baby! It's all rubbish!! I have just been polite but moved on and carried my own way.
Don't let her get you down, enjoy yourself!!! Xxx

I agree ith flatshoes. Miscarriage statistics don't mean a whole lot. I had an MMC after I saw a heartbeat last time. I had to scans last time at 5 and 7 weeks. At 7 weeks we saw the heartbeat, but the embryo measured smaller than it should have.
I was so pleased when I saw the heartbeat last time and took solace in the statistics which said I have a 5% chance of mc. Regrettably the next scan I went to, there was no heartbeat.and statistics meant nothing then .

This is more a general reply to several comments than to any one person but - ppl are looking at the statisics for some hope....sure if your in the 5% chance group you may still miscarry but 5% is more reassuring than say 20%. And if you do miscarry its not that they were wrong, you were merely part of the unfortanate 5%.......make any sense? :hugs:

I fear miscarriages. Never having had one scares me even more when in fact my chances are pretty slim. Someone once told me - you can't shake a good egg. If its meant to be its going to be and there isn't much you can do to change that.

here is what I found

After heartbeat is detected, risk of miscarriage is 9.4% at 6wks; 4.2% at 7wks; 1.5% at 8wks; 0.5% at 9wks

My OB told me that the reason they do scans here at 8 weeks and not 12 is because often a miscarriage that you first notice before 12 weeks has actually started many weeks before but you only start bleeding later.

He said that if everything looks good at 8 weeks then only 1% of pregnancies would go on to miscarry- which I'll be reassured by (once I get to the scan of course!)

for me i'd say the chances of mc in a certain week reduce when i start the next week. no mc in week 7 =good when i finish week 8, that will be good too

p.s we revived a thread from 2011....

I've been looking at this muscarriage calculate past few weeks.

Tells you daily odds.

I find it quite helpful.

https://spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

Ps-ancient thread! Guess shows nothing changes with first tri concerns.

Thanks so much for all the info on here, its much appreciated in helping to try to reassure me - 5 weeks and 1 day pregnant with my first. Due for a scan 25th Feb, at 7.5 weeks...

The page with the probability day by day is great :o)

I saw this thread a while back and am glad some good notes and updates have been added! As mentioned before the reason 12 weeks gets thrown around so much is because that's when most women get there first viability scan and mmc, molar pregnancy, blighted ovum, ectopic, etc is discovered. In another thread the week by week stats are shown and agrees with what my RE mentioned which was the 8 week hurdle and heartbeat. She said once the heartbeat has been found and you reach 8 weeks the percentage of miscarriage goes way down. The next threshold is between 11-12 weeks when the placenta takes over producing hormones and then the odds are negligible for a non viable pregnancy.

Happy and healthy 9 months to you all and hope to see you in 2nd tri soon!

Hello Catwiffy,
Reading your thread, I cannot help but notice that this is not about statistics. This is about you and your best friend. Even if you prove her that statistically, chances of miscarriage are minimal, it will not take away the fact that she is scared for you. I think this is her saying:" you are my best friend and I am worried that same thing that happened to me will happen to you" I would reassure her that I am unsure but hopeful that my baby will be fine and stress how sorry I am about her loss. hope this helps honey, baby dust for you! Hugs

Hello Catwiffy,
Reading your thread, I cannot help but notice that this is not about statistics. This is about you and your best friend. Even if you prove her that statistically, chances of miscarriage are minimal, it will not take away the fact that she is scared for you. I think this is her saying:" you are my best friend and I am worried that same thing that happened to me will happen to you" I would reassure her that I am unsure but hopeful that my baby will be fine and stress how sorry I am about her loss. hope this helps honey, baby dust for you! Hugs

Hey Utopia you will be glad to know catwiffy ended up having a healthy baby after that post back in 2011.

Wow, that is wonderful! I am indeed very pleased to hear that and congrads on the new one!! Youhouuu!

I am in constant fear if MC when pregnant :(( But it us true what a previous poster said, what will be will be... If I manage to get pregnant again I'm going to try & stay calm but easier said than done! x

Tells you daily odds.

I find it quite helpful.

I LOVE this!!! Thank you soooo much :D You've really helped to put my mind at rest :D

Tells you daily odds.

I find it quite helpful.

I LOVE this!!! Thank you soooo much :D You've really helped to put my mind at rest :D

Glad it helped you lovely :flower:

I've been looking at it daily since I found out! X

That daily percentage page is brilliant. #bookmarked!

I am so scared about having a loss. I know what will be, will be, and just trying to remember that!

Reviving an old thread again lol ,but had to say a lot of what's been said on here makes sense I too was told that I shouldn't say anything at 6 weeks as u don't know yet!! But what will b will b that baby was fines and is due her own baby today,I've also had a few early misscarruages and mmc and live in fear with each pregnancy but both my mmc happened at exactly 7w 5 d and lost at 11 weeks and I do think had I even seen a heartbeat prior to that we probably would've known then it wasn't viable as as one lady said most misscarriges start weeks before I truly believe that as I think the heartbeats would've have been low etc and I do believe seeing a healthy bean at 7 weeks or later does drop your odds as if the hearbeat is healthy and baby growing well I think are very good signs ,but I think just because I have suffered misscarriges I would never say to somebody else u shouldn't get excited yet or tell anyone as their not me and nobody knows who might or might not lose their baby's enjoy every moment of everyday unless u have reason not too don't let anyone take that joy from u as nobody knows what's around the corner xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->