Change in guidlines?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
My SIL was talking to someone who is a nurse in SCBU and she said that apparently they are considering changing the guidelines back to earlier as with bottle fed babies they are getting too big as milk is so full of calories.

Has anyone else heard this?

I am planning on doing BLW and River is already on 98th centile and at her last weigh in the HV said "oh she is getting close to the red area so get her weighed again in a few weeks and we'll see how it goes"

she also suggested to my SIL that her LO is on 98th and if it carries on they will have to "look at their options" and suggested cutting her milk. She waited until 22 weeks until she started (traditional weaning) and her LO is now 31 weeks and still hasnt cut her milk at all and is on 3 meals a day.

anywho im not worried that if i wait until 6months im going to get the HV telling me River is too big

I've only ever heard it on here.

FF babies tend to come up big on the charts because they are based on BF weight gain patterns these days.

At River's age, Ruby was on the 99.6th centile and the HV said that was absolutely fine, no concerns whatsoever. By 6 months when we started BLW she weighed 21lb.

I would stick to your guns and not pay too much attention to your HVs strange comments.

All my HV seems to go on about is weight. she told my SIL off for having a big baby as apparently all the fat cells are made now and because she is a big baby she will be a fat child?!

She also always asks if i am over feeding her? and to feed on demand not every 4 hours.

maybe she doesnt like me because im not BF.

I swear she looks at me and thinks "oh young mum must be feeding her baby junk already thats why she is big" :(

I have heard it too hun. I am not sure if it will happen though

Edit: Hun I know how you feel. I'm on the other end of the scale though. Aidan is on the 9th percentile and I'm sacred they think I'm not feeding him
xx

I read that they now say if your baby can hold a banana, put it in their mouth and eat some they are ready. I'd say River could do that now but i dont think she is ready.

its very confusing

All my HV seems to go on about is weight. she told my SIL off for having a big baby as apparently all the fat cells are made now and because she is a big baby she will be a fat child?!

She also always asks if i am over feeding her? and to feed on demand not every 4 hours.

I swear she looks at me and thinks "oh young mum must be feeding her baby junk already thats why she is big" :(

That's weird. I would complain personally. That is such nonsense about the fat cells anyway - my brother was the fattest baby EVER and is now 6'4 and skinny!

Claire, I thought they had separate charts for bf and ff babies? I know alot of bf mums get confused because they're under the impression they've been given the ff chart and therefore the low weight gain isn't as bad as they think - personally I think HVs are out to confuse us! :wacko:

special_kala - I'd say alot of LOs could get the food into their mouths at 4 months but as for biting a bit off, chewing and swallowing, probably not :hugs:

I haven't heard anything about the change in guidelines but I hardly go to baby clinic these days anyway.

That's weird. I would complain personally. That is such nonsense about the fat cells anyway - my brother was the fattest baby EVER and is now 6'4 and skinny!

I try and avoid her, at my clinic you put your red book in a box and you get one of 2 HV's so its kinda bad luck if you get the crappy one.

I have asked someone to swap with me before so i didnt have her :blush:

I've only heard this on here as well. But being in the US, I was told to start weaning at 4 months. :nope: I, of course, didn't listen a bit to my doctor. I even told her off a little for recommending it in the first place when the standards are 6 months. It could confuse someone less informed about these things. As for big babies being big adults, I was huge as a baby and have struggled with weight all my life so who knows. I know I was weaned onto cereal or baby rice at around 2 months so that could be part of it. :shrug:

it seems im getting pressure to wean from every possible side. It is easier when i can say the guidline is 6 months but if they change it back to 4 months then i think i'd have to start smothering people with baby rice ! :shrug:

Yeah in my fed book I had a bf weight chart and a ff weight chart
xx

I know my HV says that she takes the guidelines with a pinch of salt as they were conducted by the WHO on mostly 3rd world babies where they need to be breastfed as long as possible as the water isn't clean and there isn't a lot of food so unless they're breastfed until a year or 2, they'll die from dehydration/starvation etc. so it wasn't really applicable to Western babies. Therefore, she recommends 6months but supports anyone from 17 weeks.

Surely weight in a baby is more about genetics and metabolism than just quantity of food? My LO has always taken more formula than any other baby I know - in fact at 5 months he was eating more in a day than two of the little girls in my NCT group combined! He is still not far above the 25th centile for weight despite only dropping from 40 to 45oz per day down to a reasonable 25ish after nearly a month of solids!
If it was just about feeding lots of formula he would be the size of a house - he would be carrying me around!

I read that they now say if your baby can hold a banana, put it in their mouth and eat some they are ready. I'd say River could do that now but i dont think she is ready.

its very confusing

I heard this too - I think it must have been on some daytime telly or something or maybe a baby mag? But definitely heard it in the last week x

its very confusing

I heard this too - I think it must have been on some daytime telly or something or maybe a baby mag? But definitely heard it in the last week x

I think it was in this month's Mother and Baby magazine. I personally think it's a great guideline

i dread to think how big Chloe will be when shes older then!! although shes only gained 7lbs in 4 and a half months

Claire, I thought they had separate charts for bf and ff babies? I know alot of bf mums get confused because they're under the impression they've been given the ff chart and therefore the low weight gain isn't as bad as they think - personally I think HVs are out to confuse us! :wacko:

i asked a paedetrician about this at a hospital appt and he said the charts were now BF charts, i've only got one chart in my book. i'd be interested to see where Ruby falls on a FF chart.

i asked a paedetrician about this at a hospital appt and he said the charts were now BF charts, i've only got one chart in my book. i'd be interested to see where Ruby falls on a FF chart.

Yep - all my stuff says that I'm FF yet I have the BF charts only in my book too. I would be interested too.

The guidelines are actually from 6 months (25weeks) or 17 weeks after a consultantion with your GP or HV.

If you don't feel she is ready, don't wean her. If your HV is making you feel like crap, request a new one or stop going. Does she need to be weighed so often? If she is pooping and peeing, happy and alert and you have no issues, then why bother going? Especially if you are just coming out of it questioning yourself.

Or look for other drop in clinics, they usually have different HV and you can just get her weighed and go.

We use generic charts here, one for boys one for girls as their growth patterns differ.

And, all the focus on her weight, what height is she?

The guidelines are actually from 6 months (25weeks) or 17 weeks after a consultantion with your GP or HV.

If you don't feel she is ready, don't wean her. If your HV is making you feel like crap, request a new one or stop going. Does she need to be weighed so often? If she is pooping and peeing, happy and alert and you have no issues, then why bother going? Especially if you are just coming out of it questioning yourself.

Or look for other drop in clinics, they usually have different HV and you can just get her weighed and go.

We use generic charts here, one for boys one for girls as their growth patterns differ.

And, all the focus on her weight, what height is she?[/QUOTE]

her height is 98th also so its not like she is a small baby, she was 8lb14oz at birth.

Why are some HV's such kn#bs :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->