Change in guidlines?

That is an odd comment - babies have been formula fed for many years longer than when the 4 to 6 month change was made....so there would have been babies getting too fat years ago - and it just didn't happen.
I know lots of Bottle Fed babies, and just like BM babies their weights vary all over the chart.
Just like everything in a babies development, things happen at different rates and times to other babies - growth charts and weaning guidelines are exactly that - a guide.

Yea thats what i thought but the HV just assumed i am over feedining her i think.

If they are considering changing th guidlines wouldnt it just be easier to look at babies individually rather then all the same :(

I think that's odd about the charts...here in the US it is based on the FF ones, or was atleast last year, unless it's changed since then. But I've always heard for the first 6mo breastfed babies tend to be bigger than FF but then they start to slow down in growth because the milk changes and FF stays the same so they continue to gain faster? That was also what happened with my 3 kids.

I heard that they changed it back to 4-6mo here in the US but not sure if that's true, I know it was still 6mo 2yrs ago when I started Hayden...wow can't believe it's been that long now lol

Yes I heard something similar mommyof3co, that BF babies gain quicker than FF at first, then slow down whereas FF stay constant. But I didn't think that pattern lasted as long as 6m, I though FF babies usually overtook long before then. Ruby looks HUGE compared with my friends BF babies of the same age and has done for ages.
In the UK they changed to BF charts because they are trying very hard to make BF 'the norm'.

Yes I heard something similar mommyof3co, that BF babies gain quicker than FF at first, then slow down whereas FF stay constant. But I didn't think that pattern lasted as long as 6m, I though FF babies usually overtook long before then. Ruby looks HUGE compared with my friends BF babies of the same age and has done for ages.
In the UK they changed to BF charts because they are trying very hard to make BF 'the norm'.

Yeah I'm not sure, my pedi was saying around 6mo is when BF babies usually slowed down. Casen it was actually about 4mo and then Hayden it was about 7mo and he just practically stopped growing lol. He was 19lbs 8oz at 7mo, he's 25lbs now at 2 1/2yrs. So in 1yr 9mo he has gained less than 5lbs...not much for that age range lol. Landon my FF baby seemed HUGE compared to everyone up until closer to 2 then slimmed down alot now he's a skinny thing...all 3 of them are.

Yeah I guess all babies have got to slow down eventually, they'd be the size of a house otherwise, lol. Ruby gained a whole 3oz last month!

I'd heard it was about 4 months when bfed babies tended to stop piling on the weight, it was certainly true for us anyway. All of these charts, are we being tracked on a bf or ff one etc etc are just ridiculous, babies aren't averages for god sake :wacko:

my hubby was a monster baby. 12 pounds at birth and a huge infant. he is now 6 ft 1 and 139 pounds haha. a skinny skinny man!

Ah well, Amber gained a whole 1lb 3oz in the 13/14 weeks I breastfed. Massive fail.

DS2 is on 'alert' for the dietrition. At almost 5 years he is below 25th for weight and above 91st for height. But he has cerebral palsy gets a cold all winter and doesn't eat. He is lethargic because of it.

I get jelous with all your pudgy babies :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->