Change of school

c1403

Reaction score
So current situation is this. DD1 is almost six and in year 1. At the moment she attends our local infant school (however in two years she will have to leave to go to a junior school).

The infant school is nice, it's small and all the children are known. The attached junior school is awful. Problem children, huge with appx 6 yeargroips per year. Under special measures with Ofsted.

I have been offered a place for her at another school about a ten minutes drive (can't walk as down some dangerous country lanes). I only emailed the school on the off chance to see if they had spaces.

I also have DD2, who is 4, and will start school next September (so in theory she will go wherever her sister goes.

I am working myself up into a right state over this. I feel like I'm cheating on her current school. The new school is amazing, brand new, so many lovely opportunities like swimming, music, forest school (Ofsted is also good) and she wouldn't have to leave until secondary. Also DD2 would get in next year as a sibling.

Am I doing the right thing in moving DD1. I've spoken to her and she seems fine, said she likes the idea and making new friends.

I just feel so torn.
I do not know many at the new school so am slightly thinking of my own anxiety and the fact I'd be leaving some of our friends behind.
If we waited until she left this school, DD2 would already be there so I'd be looking to move both children and there may not be places.

Sorry very long winded and not sure exactly what I'm looking for in responses. Maybe others that did similar?

I think long term this so the best for the girls and they'd be in the same school all through (rather than two different schools in a year or two)

Thanks for reading

X

I'd definitely move if you think it is right for your children, and before DD2 starts so she doesn't make friends then have to move.
You can still stay in contact with the friends you have all made at the school your DD your at now, and you'll get talking to other mums in the play ground/at pick up!

I'd move her if she were mine. I understand the temptation to be loyal to the current school but I feel your job is to do what is right for you family and if this will mean your daughter has continuity from now through to the end of primary, and your other daughter gets to start there and stay the whole way through then I think it's a really important move to make as soon as you can.

I would move. I moved my son when he was in year 2 (in the January). I love his new school and although he still says now and again he misses his old school its more his friends he misses as when i remind him of all the things he does at his new school even he says how much better it is. He has just started in year 4 now and loving it, excited for his brother to be joining this year (starts monday) and to be honest i am feeling good about him starting instead of dreading like old school.

Thanks all. We have decided to start at the new school, she starts Monday x

Glad you made the right decision for you.

When I moved areas the first school was infant and a different school for junior, I didn't like either and had heard about the junior school. It did feel disruptive to the girls but I knew it was the right thing.... They settled in really well and the move was smooth. x

Day 1

Dd2 decided to be sick in the car the minute we pulled up to school. Total disaster as I had no wipes or spare clothes. She had to wear DD1s PE kit (and suprise suprise today was PE day).
After all that when I picked her up she came out happy and smiling already looking like part of the class.
She said (her words). It was fun, I like PE here and I got used to my tie. I also like writing now as the chairs are more comfy. I didn't make any friends but I will tomorrow.

I was so happy to hear her say this, she is such a confident girl but I was worried it would knock her a bit.

I'll update with Day 2 tomorrow (I'll document our first week ha ha)

Lovely update, sounds like you DD enjoyed herself! Really sweet that she saw it as I didn't make friends today but I will tomorrow.

So lovely to hear she's had a good first day, I'll look forward to hearing about the rest of the week. X

Day 2

Not a great start. We had tears at the door. Was really heartbreaking.

Came skipping out after school. Teacher said she had been sad most of the morning but was okay this afternoon.
She told me she was sad because she missed me not her old school.

Two children were nice to her and she made friends but can't remember their names.

Very excited that if you do all your homework you get a prize and certificate!

Hopefully no tears tomorrow :-(

Day 3
No tears this morning. Daddy took her in so she was excited to show him where to go.
Told us she made some new friends but she still missed me (think the six weeks holidays are too long)

I'm a little annoyed though tbh. I don't think the school have 'shown us the ropes' much. They haven't explained reading books to me, didn't tell me about a morning snack etc. I'm sure it will be fine but nice to know these things.

That's great there were no tears this morning! :)

That's frustrating that you've not been shown the ropes and given you more information. :(

Day 4
Loads of tears this morning. Not because of school but she keeps saying she misses me.

Also today was DD2s birthday so I gave her the day off pre-school and that set her off with the tears tbh as she wanted to stay home too.

She said she had a good day and loved her forest school outing and made some friends.
After school I overheard others talking about a meeting, there was a class meeting after school I didn't know about. But I finally got to know a little bit more ie book changing days, what they're learning etc. Think we're getting used to the change.

Final day tomorrow. I've told her if there are no tears I'll get her Mc Donald's on her birthday lol (her brithday is Sunday and she's having a party with all her friends from old school)

X

Aww sorry about the tears. Fingers crossed the last day of the week will be better.

Sorry about the tears. Not quite the same but my daughter started pre school last Thursday and too went in easily on the first day but has gradually got more emotional saying she wants to stay home and misses me so I think it's quite common for children. Hopefully there will be tear free mornings very soon:)

Sorry about the tears. Not quite the same but my daughter started pre school last Thursday and too went in easily on the first day but has gradually got more emotional saying she wants to stay home and misses me so I think it's quite common for children. Hopefully there will be tear free mornings very soon:)

It's heartbreaking isn't it. We never had tears at pre school or her first school. It's alot of getting used to so I am being sympathetic with her.
I'm sure it's better we moved her now at 6 then when she was 8/9.
I just feel so guilty we have caused this upset :-(.

Day 5
Tears in the morning but very happy after school. Spoke about new friends etc.
Excited now as it's her birthday weekend :)

Thanks for reading x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"