Changing school if child does not want to

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
Am I being mean? I am not liking my sons school at the moment for various different reasons but on the whole he enjoys school and has no problems. He is in yr 2 and started there in reception so never been any where else and that school is all he knows. I am very uncomfortable leaving him, being lied to, communication is appalling, messages not being passed to relevant people etc. (I could go on!) I went to visit another school today (2 of his class mates have already moved there and another is following after Christmas) and whenever I bring up anything about it he tells me he won't like it and he loves his school, doesn't want to go etc.
Obviously as an adult I can see the bigger picture and know he would love the new school once he actually started(he is in no way shy and will leave a park after 10 mins with a new best friend so no worries there!) But still feeling a bit mean just doing it, have told him I would not just take him away will take him to visit and hoping he may change his mind but seems so against the idea!?
What would others do

P.s sorry for my ramblings think friends are sick of me talking now!

Neither of my boys have ever moved school, Dan went to the same primary school for 7 years and then the same secondary school for 7 years, Dec has been in the same primary school for 5 years now so I dont have any experience in moving schools but in all honesty if I wasnt happy with the school and I felt moving either of them was for their best then I would do it without a second thought. Your little one sounds like he mixes well and makes friends very easily so if you are not happy with the school then I would move him sooner rather than later x

Neither of my boys have ever moved school, Dan went to the same primary school for 7 years and then the same secondary school for 7 years, Dec has been in the same primary school for 5 years now so I dont have any experience in moving schools but in all honesty if I wasnt happy with the school and I felt moving either of them was for their best then I would do it without a second thought. Your little one sounds like he mixes well and makes friends very easily so if you are not happy with the school then I would move him sooner rather than later x

Agree with this ^

If he is socialable and friendly, then he will have no problem settling in, especially as three people from his class have moved too. Did they move for the same reasons as you?

Pretty much similar reasons, one was being bullied but as (quoted from head) "its only calling her a few names its not real bullying" and one has moved house.
Taking him to see the school Monday, hoping may change his mind, i do keep talking about it and he is not so overly against at the moment!

If I felt that my child needed to be moved to another school, I would give her a reason why it was happening, empathize with her feelings, and proceed with the move.

Here's what I'm doing in a similar type of situation:

After being in preschool for a while, my daughter became excited about the idea of kindergarten and really wanted to go when the time comes. Well, I don't feel comfortable with what kindergarten has become here in the United States and I don't want my children going to Kindergarten. I told her that we will not be doing kindergarten, but after that, she can choose between school and homeschool.

I moved mine & he'll start at the new school next semester after the winter break. He's been at his school since he was in fs1. He's in PY2 now. He didn't want to move at 1st but now he seems fine.

We took him to the new school & we requested a tour around before moving him. We explained the reasons for us the reasons are many, 1st his current school is too far away & we have to wake up too early to reach on time, 2nd they are too random in giving homework & the way they handle assessments, they have shortage of teachers, my boy & another 6 students spend an hour with a teaching assistant everyday doing almost nothing as they're done with Read, Write, Inc. instead of giving them extras. He's also been bullied over & over by the same group of children, homework is on iPads using free apps which is IMO a lazy way of giving homework.

it is easier to move him now rather than moving him later when he's older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->