Child Genius competitions

emyandpotato

Reaction score
What do you think of them and of parents who enter their children in to them? I just caught the last 5 minutes of the show and although I didn't even nearly see the whole thing and so don't know much about it, I must admit my first thought was to wonder why.

I'm torn, as wonderful a feeling as it must be to have a child genius i think i'd rather let my child be a child y'know? Absolutely encourage their learning and their skills but still make actually just being a child a priority too!

I watched it all, and have to say I was absolutely horrified.

There was one boy, Tudor, who 'allowed the pressure to get to him' and his Dad could then barely look at him and told him that he'll need to study harder to earn his stripes.

Disgusting parenting.

There was a home school girl who entered herself, her parents were lovely, and she didnt do too well in the first round and she was distraught. And I just thought....why? Why have you been allowed to enter this to put masses of pressure on yourself for a horrible title of 'child genius'.

I will not be watching again.

I watched it all, and have to say I was absolutely horrified.

There was one boy, Tudor, who 'allowed the pressure to get to him' and his Dad could then barely look at him and told him that he'll need to study harder to earn his stripes.

Disgusting parenting.

There was a home school girl who entered herself, her parents were lovely, and she didnt do too well in the first round and she was distraught. And I just thought....why? Why have you been allowed to enter this to put masses of pressure on yourself for a horrible title of 'child genius'.

I will not be watching again.

See i haven't watched that particular one but ive seen some where the kids are happy and enjoying it? That sounds awful though!

I have a child who is extremely bright. Not sure whether he would be consider a genius....I haven't gone down the route of having an assessment. He is on the Gifted List at School however. He picks things up & understands them very quickly (subject covered including periodic table, chemical elements, tectonic plates, he loves science based things)

To me, he is 5 years old. He should enjoy being a 5 year old and not have any pressure on him for being bright.

My boy is 4 and can read, write and is spelling words such as analogue and creativity, he would spend all day writing words if he could, it is an obsession and he is completely self taught. He also has autism. I am torn here, if he wanted to do this himself, I could see that he would enjoy the studying and could possibly meet others Like himself and maybe make friends with similar interests, however, I would worry that he would find the experience stressful which would be terrible as anxiety is already prevalent in him. If he wanted himself to do it I would support it but would endeavour to assure him that it is just a challenge and not that important, I would not push him like some of those parents (some are akin to abusers imho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->