Chinese takeaway for almost one year old?!

missk1989

Reaction score
We are going to the inlaws in an hour for chinese takeaway and i am expecting them to try to give isaac, who isnt quite one,:shrug: some of their takeaway. Of all the takeaways chinese is a massive no no for babies! How do i portray this without them saying im just mean? Especially as there is a 2 1/2 year old who will likely be allowed to have some? Im pretty sure my OH will back me up as he was insistant i didnt eat chinese whilst pregnant because of the amount of crap in it so he will likely have the same opinion now. Its just that they are always asking can he have this and that or just putting things on his plate and telling us we are too protective over things.
:shrug:

Id never eat something in front of Niamh if she couldn't have some, even if all she had was a few chips.

We are going to the inlaws in an hour for chinese takeaway and i am expecting them to try to give isaac, who isnt quite one,:shrug: some of their takeaway. Of all the takeaways chinese is a massive no no for babies! How do i portray this without them saying im just mean? Especially as there is a 2 1/2 year old who will likely be allowed to have some? Im pretty sure my OH will back me up as he was insistant i didnt eat chinese whilst pregnant because of the amount of crap in it so he will likely have the same opinion now. Its just that they are always asking can he have this and that or just putting things on his plate and telling us we are too protective over things.
:shrug:

You just tell them he's not having it. Why worry about someone else's opinion when you are confident in your own parenting choices...whether they're family or not.

He does not need Chinese food (nor does the 2.5yr old but I take it that's not your child).

What's wrong with Chinese takeout? A couple of bites of something for just one meal is not a big deal.

But if you're not comfortable with it, just say "he's not ready for it". Or say that you just fed the baby before you got there. Or ask them to order a side of steamed veggies and rice for the baby??

I'm assuming it's the MSG you're worried about? Usually it's added to the sauces (at least around here), so if you wanted to give him something, you could avoid sauces.

Or if you wanted to bring him something else to eat just say you have an MSG sensitivity or something and so you want to avoid it for a while in case your LO has one as well...

My LO would throw a fit if I was eating something without sharing, though. She's had bits of Chinese food.

At a year old i wouldnt eat something infront of a child and not let them eat it.

Maybe just give them some rice and noodles?

What are your concerns with Chinese food? Like staralfur said, if the MSG is what you're worried about you can always choose something that doesn't have sauce. MSG isn't as common an additive these days as it used to be, though, and you can ask the staff whether they use it - many places don't. If salt is a concern you can see if they have low sodium options, but really a few bites of something salty is not going to do any harm at this age. If you really don't want him to have anything there then just bring food for him and let your inlaws be huffy about it, but personally I would try to find something on the menu.

At a year old i wouldnt eat something infront of a child and not let them eat it.

Maybe just give them some rice and noodles?

I agree, my one yr old would throw a massive fit if he couldnt have what we were having. He definitely notices if he has something different on his plate than we do, and always wants what we have.

Maybe try some rice for him, and bring some other stuff to eat with it.

Oh god Dylan had it at about 6-7 months. Lol. However he had boiled rice and a few veggies :) he had one or two chips once but only as they weren't salty.

I wouldn't think it was all terrible. I'm a big believer of everything in moderation :)

However where you planning on giving him something else?

It depends I guess on where you get the takeaway from - good chinese food with rice, noodles and veg is healthy, its the fried stuff and gloopy sauces thats the problem. If you order sensibly it will be fine. When DS was 6 months we went to a chinese restaurant and I got veg noodles and he loved it

I wouldn't allow MSG. I wouldn't let my toddler have anything with MSG either.

I would just give him a bit of noodles or something etc. Don't see the big deal if it's a one off :shrug: I think by not giving something you're having it will make it more appealing IMO.

At the end of the day it's your baby so if you don't want him to have any just tell your in-laws you don't want to give him any.

Enjoy your takeaway. I fancy a Chinese now :haha:

It was msg and salt content i was worried about, mainly because it was coming from the chippy not a reputable chinese restaurant. It wasnt a case of giving him a bit of rice or noodles, i was worried about them giving him prawn crackers and deep fried starterd. In the end I sat in a different room to everyone else with him and fed him something different to avoid the temptation.

It was msg and salt content i was worried about, mainly because it was coming from the chippy not a reputable chinese restaurant. It wasnt a case of giving him a bit of rice or noodles, i was worried about them giving him prawn crackers and deep fried starterd. In the end I sat in a different room to everyone else with him and fed him something different to avoid the temptation.

Good for you. I say if you don't think something isnappropriate for your child, the inlaws shouldn't be giving it to him or throwing fits when you say no. My inlaws are always on about giving my daughter crisps and McDonalds (I ask you!) and it's really annoying. First off, she doesn't need it, and secondly, I say no.

My in
Laws wouldn't dare!!! I don't understand the need to
Fill
Babies with rubbish before they need it? My son
Wouldn't care for it anyway

Whats so bad about a chinese take away? At that age emily was loving the curry or spring rolls, she'd actually accidently stole one from my plate when i wasnt looking, and she loved it! now at 2 she really likes the rice, chips, spring rolls, prawn crackers and occasionally chicken balls xx

At that age, I would have given steamed veggies and some rice or noodles. You can eat Chinese food without giving them something fried or MSG laden.

I also wouldn't eat something infront of Lucas that he couldn't have. We've literally just had a Indian and Lucas was enjoying a poppadom and few little bites of vegetable curry for the first time. It's a one off and won't do any harm, everything in moderation. I don't want Lucas growing up and seeing anything as the 'forbidden fruit' because that's where unhealthy relationships with food can stem from x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->