Christmas shoebox alternative

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
I really want to put something together with Rio this year but for various personal reasons I don’t wish to participate in the official shoebox appeal, does anyone know of alternatives? Preferably where company CEO’s aren’t pocketing ridiculous amounts of money and adding religious content to boxes before gifting.
I wonder if local food banks will accept gifts for young children in the local area? Or if anyone knows of other organisations that do things like that?
I *think* that Birmingham children’s hospital accept new toys as gifts for children that are in hospital on Christmas Day so I may look into that. And perhaps some adult gifts for the parents staying at the Ronald McDonald charity house whilst their ill children are in hospital.
Do you do Christmas shoe boxes or anything similar?

In my area the local shopping centre will run a thing where they have a tree with baubles with presents they want and the age of the person and you hand it in. Last year it was for the local women’s refuge and the year before was for the elderly.
Also usually Sainsbury’s/Asda/b&m at least the ones in my area will collect new toys for children that need them. There’s usually a box near the front of the store.

So you have a HomeStart near you? I'm sure they accept donations of toys etc for families who don't have much. I've also seen the Christmas tree one be done in shopping centres too and my Tesco have a collection cage that you can donate gifts into as part of a local charity collection so kids don't go without gifts. Keep an eye out on social media or phone your children's hospital's charity and ask if they are needing anything, I'm not local to it so don't know much but I know my son's hospital ask for donations for toys/gifts for kids between certain ages.

In my area the local shopping centre will run a thing where they have a tree with baubles with presents they want and the age of the person and you hand it in. Last year it was for the local women’s refuge and the year before was for the elderly.
Also usually Sainsbury’s/Asda/b&m at least the ones in my area will collect new toys for children that need them. There’s usually a box near the front of the store.

Oh wow what an amazing idea !

Our school usually does something for the local area , not sure what it’s going to be yet . Our local shops usually leave a trolley out you can put food / gifts in

Tescos sometimes have a gifting tree, or the entertainer have baskets to put things into for children who are less fortunate. Or even the homeless/Nomads Trust, i know they accept them around here with necessities. Coop here take collected trolleys of food to food banks.

DD1's old school (now DD2), is a "safe haven" school which is partnered up with a school in Africa. They regularly pen pal each other and then send gifts around christmas which parents and kids out together within reason. A day is also dedicated to them too where they spend the entire day at school in their school conditions (no electricity, limited access to things etc) and
take donations to send.

My two do the soldiers shoebox appeal. Both my parents are ex army and it has always been close to our hearts. Every year Dd1 fills her shoebox with a lovely (4 page a4) letter informing the soldier all about her and thanking him for his service etc. The soldier must wonder when shes going to take a breath bless her. She usually picks a new toothbrush, shortbread, some treats, and always some kind of xmas decor and a santa hat. Just because of the weight limits etc

They also do similar but little gift bags and it has homemade snowman soup and shortbread or similar and take them to supported living. The old people love them and it truly brings the biggest smile to their faces. A simple hour out of our day when they can go weeks sometimes months without a visitor.

<3

Such a lovely idea!

I know many years ago when I worked at McDonalds around Christmas time we could do the shoe box type things that would automatically go to the Ronald McDonald house charities, so the unwanted toys would go directly to them, as many of the children would be in hospital over the Christmas duration and some parents which we knew of personally had to take unpaid time off work, lost money, unable to go xmas shopping due to the poor children, so our boxes went to them as a small help

Our shopping centre does the gift tree.

Some homeless charities also ask for things they can gift out to those on the street or in shelters.

I definitely want to do something like that this year with my girls.

I think its so rewarding, I sit here wondering what to spend money on next for my boys and some people are wondering when they can even next feed their child. Times like Christmas really make me think about how lucky we are, were in no way rich and we struggle ourselves sometimes but we are so lucky.
I love the idea of gifting to the elderly too, I may make some biscuits and a little hamper of goodies to take to our local nursing home.

I think it's a lovely idea and how rewarding :)

Our office joins in the collection for the Homeless Shelter so gloves, hats, sleeping bags, food etc but we also do one for children who are either in Woman's shelters or who are not going to get as much I think it is part of the Eagle Radio Station Appeal

I do ones full of dog toys and treats and also take a load of blankets down the dog rescue centre

I work in an elementary school and get a needy child's name from our school counselor and buy Christmas for that child. Other teachers do the same. Last year, DD and I also did backpacks for homeless with new socks, hats, tarps etc. I do like the idea of bringing things to a local nursing home. I worry that elderly may be overlooked since Christmas is so child focused.

Honestly it is the most rewarding thing in the world Scout. Its so lovely how thoughtful everyone on here is, I came off Facebook a few years ago as it was a constant brag fest, mum's from the school constantly bragging about the size of their child's piles etc... Christmas to me is not this, Christmas to me is giving, not to receive but to bring someone that little bit of unexpected joy.

BTW I don't mean any offence, as I do post stash pics on here in our little Christmas bubble.

<3

Honestly it is the most rewarding thing in the world Scout. Its so lovely how thoughtful everyone on here is, I came off Facebook a few years ago as it was a constant brag fest, mum's from the school constantly bragging about the size of their child's piles etc... Christmas to me is not this, Christmas to me is giving, not to receive but to bring someone that little bit of unexpected joy.

BTW I don't mean any offence, as I do post stash pics on here in our little Christmas bubble.

<3

Completely agree with this! Some years I have piles of presents for my kids, some years not so much! It all depends on what they've asked for and what I can afford, some people do go very over board every year when there are people less fortunate

I'm thinking about doing a reverse advent calendar. So each day of December you put something in a box, tins, toothpaste, essential things that keep. Then on Christmas eve you take it to the local food bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->