CIO - From a Baby's View.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CMarie

I read this on my Facebook feed tonight:

https://rawschool.com/continuum/

It's an extremely different point of view for CIO that I thought was incredibly interesting.

What do you ladies think of this? For those who practice CIO/CC, does it make you feel any differently? For those who don't practice CIO/CC, how do you feel about it?

Sorry I only got half way through that before I though whst a load of crap.
Its clearly written by someone who only assumes what mothers who use cio do and the person doesnt have a clue.
It comes across as though the mother just leaves the baby alone there all the time just for the sake of it, that is not CIO or CC as I or anyone I know knows it, its just written as neglect.
Maybe if I read further I might see a point but no one I know uses CIO or CC to deal with a wet nappy and to just leave them like that.

I don't and will never use CIO.

The article is interesting, although it is mainly about hospital nurseries, which we don't have in the Uk and haven't had for some time. I can't think of anything worse than a tiny newborn being left all alone, let alone left alone to cry.

That said, I don't like CIO at all. Babies cry because they want something or because something is distressing them and they need a parent. Evolution has taught them that if they cry their caregiver will come. It is instinctual and it's because in times gone by it could have saved their lives. I cannot imagine my baby needing me and me not going. It wouldn't matter how exhausted I was or If I was half dead, if my baby needed me, I would go. Her cries are distressing to me for a reason.

I can't imagine anything worse myself than having to cry myself to sleep. Even if someone came in every two minutes and patted me on the back, even if it was until I stopped crying, only to let me cry again. Repeatedly. Until I feel asleep. I wonder why we don't afford babies the same respect? I personally think its largely because as a society we expect babies to fit in with us, when it really should be the other way round.

But its not used on newborns yes there are some that do but generaly its more for older babies around 6 months and older, I personaly didnt do it till around a year old and most wouldnt use it with a newborn.
So to me things like this are written for shock tactics when it doesnt even relate to real life experiances.
Plus most who use it know there is a whole differance to types of cries and a "im restless and dont want to sleep yet" whinge is alot differant to a "im wet, cold, scared, need holding" cry and most do not leave a baby to cry through the later

I agree that newborns need to be with their mums but disagree with the negative portrayal of clothing on the baby. There are few places in the world where a newborn will be naked all of the time, regardless of whether it's attached to its mother or not. In fact babies are often happier swaddled than if their limbs are flailing around.

I tried CIO at nine months and it had the opposite effect than what we're often told it has. I'm not going to attempt it with this LO.

I havent done cio or cc because i wasnt comfortable with it, but i think that article over dramatises for effect.

But its not used on newborns yes there are some that do but generaly its more for older babies around 6 months and older, I personaly didnt do it till around a year old and most wouldnt use it with a newborn.
So to me things like this are written for shock tactics when it doesnt even relate to real life experiances.
Plus most who use it know there is a whole differance to types of cries and a "im restless and dont want to sleep yet" whinge is alot differant to a "im wet, cold, scared, need holding" cry and most do not leave a baby to cry through the later

The article relates to a baby left in a hospital nursery. These are no longer used in the UK, but as far as I am aware they still are in some parts of the USA. Babies left in these nurseries would sometimes have to CIO and wait to have their nappies changed because the nurses are busy and that is what the article first relates to.

Personally, I wouldn't do it at any age.

I agree that newborns need to be with their mums but disagree with the negative portrayal of clothing on the baby. There are few places in the world where a newborn will be naked all of the time, regardless of whether it's attached to its mother or not. In fact babies are often happier swaddled than if their limbs are flailing around.

I tried CIO at nine months and it had the opposite effect than what we're often told it has. I'm not going to attempt it with this LO.

I would assume that this is relating to the huge importance of skin to skin and not suggesting that clothing should never be worn.

But then the article should be more about the failings and downside of some hospitals and how they should modernise rather then making it about CIO wich to me this whole article doesnt describe the real use of CIO.

I would assume that this is relating to the huge importance of skin to skin and not suggesting that clothing should never be worn.
I dunno, it seems to take a disliking to nappies as well.

The article just makes me sad and hope I did it right.

Just bear in mind it was written in 1976. A time when babies were put to sleep on their tummies, pregnant ladies smoke and drank (stout was actually recommended), dads didn't often attended births let alone had "paternity" leave, and babies were often whisked away from mothers, only to be returned to feed.

I'm a bit ambivalent about CC/CIO - I have no strong feelings on it either way. But I do know that this article really has no place in the modern day.

My boys were born in 1991 1994 and 2000 and I guess I did CIO but didn't know I was doing it at the time :wacko:. Never left them for more than 5 minutes, but I had a 2yrd old and a newborn and was alone , my husband worked 14 hr days 6x a week, had NOBODY helping me. They always self settled , all my boys slept through the night at 6 weeks , I was lucky I guess.
When my first son was born I was to put him on his stomach to sleep second son on his side to sleep and my third son on his back :shrug: I didn't know what the hell I was doing, but I did it and my boys are all fine now no issues.

My point is things change so much , I joined here cause I was 40 and was pregnant and Ava would have been born in 2011 and I just wanted to see what was the norm now, it was 12 yrs for me since having a baby/ Sadly she is gone I lost her, but I sit and read these baby threads and think my God none of these things were around when I having my kids, nobody said anything about bottle users or breast-feeding or judged other women for not doing this or not doing that.

I would be shot on this forum cause my kids ate cereal at 2 months on a spoon back in the day :wacko: They all seem fine now at 21 19 and almost 13, no allergies or mental issues or anything else. A lot has changed for me when I read these threads , but I still think every mommy knows her baby and knows what is best. I don't think it is ok to leave a newbron to cry any longer than maybe 5 minutes if that, but when you have a 2yr old and your 22 with 2 kids and trying your best sometimes they may have to cry just a bit so you can get to them , my hands were always full and having no help is really hard.. :flower:

Thats not about CIO, thats about babies being in the nursery after being born, don't most hospitals do rooming-in nowadays? Don't even have nurseries in hospitals here, babies always stay with the mother unless they are in NICU.
And when the baby goes home thats not CIO, thats neglect. Most mothers don't put down a screaming newborn unless they have to (to deal with another child or go to the loo or make a bottle etc.)

Oh God I didn't read the article :wacko: sorry just ignore my previous post then..

Thats not about CIO, thats about babies being in the nursery after being born, don't most hospitals do rooming-in nowadays? Don't even have nurseries in hospitals here, babies always stay with the mother unless they are in NICU.
And when the baby goes home thats not CIO, thats neglect. Most mothers don't put down a screaming newborn unless they have to (to deal with another child or go to the loo or make a bottle etc.)
Thank you thats what I was trying to get at, that article wasnt about cio or cc as I know or used it, that was more im just going to ignore you untill I can be bothered to deal with you.
Generaly I couldnt give a fig about what others thought of my parenting but it does annoy me when people assume this is what we do with our children and how people who do cio treat their babies

^^ this exactly.

I'm always confused by people's automatic assumption that something like the article is CIO/CC when in fact the reality is somewhat hugely different.

It's actually not JUST about nurseries at the hospital, if you keep reading there's a huge section after the baby is taken home from the hospital when the mother nurses the baby, changes it's diaper, then puts the baby in his/her crib, closes to door and leaves.

"Home is essentially indistinguishable from the maternity ward except for the chafing. The infant’s waking hours are passed in yearning, wanting, and interminable waiting for rightness to replace the silent void. For a few minutes a day, his longing is suspended and his terrible skin-crawling need to be touched, to be held and moved about, is relieved. His mother is one who, after much thought, has decided to allow him access to her breast. She loves him with a tenderness she has never known before. At first, it is hard for her to put him down after his feeding, especially because he cries so desperately when she does. But she is convinced that she must, for her mother has told her (and she must know) that if she gives in to him now he will be spoiled and cause trouble later. She wants to do everything right; she feels for a moment that the little life she holds in her arms is more important than anything else on earth.

She sighs, and puts him gently in his crib, which is decorated with yellow ducklings and matches his whole room. She has worked hard to furnish it with fluffy curtains, a rug in the shape of a giant panda, white dresser, bathinette and changing table equipped with powder, oil, soap, shampoo, and a hairbrush, all made and packed in colors especially for babies. There are pictures on the wall of baby animals dressed as people. The chest of drawers is full of little undershirts, slumbersuits, bootees, caps, mittens, and diapers. There is a toy wooly lamb stood at a beguiling angle on top, and a vase of flowers – which have been cut off from their roots, for his mother also “loves” flowers.

She straightens baby’s undershirt and covers him with an embroidered sheet and a blanket bearing his initials. She notes them with satisfaction. Nothing has been spared in perfecting the baby’s room, though she and her young husband cannot yet afford all the furniture they have planned for the rest of the house. She bends to kiss the infant’s silky cheek and moves toward the door as the first agonized shriek shakes his body.

Softly, she closes the door. She has declared war upon him. Her will must prevail over his. Through the door she hears what sounds like someone being tortured. Her continuum (instinct) recognizes it as such. Nature does not make clear signals that someone is being tortured unless it is the case. IT IS PRECISELY AS SERIOUS AS IT SOUNDS.

She hesitates, her heart pulled toward him, but resists and goes on her way. He has just been changed and fed. She is sure he does not REALLY need anything, therefore, and she lets him weep until he is exhausted…”

And I commented on that section, thats not CIO, thats neglect (although based on misunderstanding and what was probably common practice in the US at the time it was written but is not anymore)

They never did that here separated mum from babies, you get handed your baby and thats it, you looked after it and went home. No nurseries here. I dont think I would like if there was as I would want my baby close to me and feeding. I know that formula companies funded them in hospitals around the world to keep mums separate from babies to make formula feeding more possible. I am sure many babies did cio at birth though not intentional from mums this way. I dont agree with any form of cio, its not my style at all.

I honestly dont know of any parent though that only has their baby out of its crib just to feed then leaves them back in there for the rest of the time so to me it doesnt represent real life but rather a exagerated neglectfull idea of what its like.
Even with lo who point blank refused being held and would scream the place down if you tried cuddling him I still never just left him laying in his cot, we came to a mutual zone where he would snuggle on my chest without being held too much but was still interacted with as much as possible

I'm ambivalent about CIO as I have a great sleeper and have never had to use it, but what an obnoxious article. I found it offensive for the moms who are at their wits end and feel it's their last option.

Maybe the author's intentions were genuine when she wrote it, but it reads like a guilt trip from hell:

He awakes in a mindless terror of the silence, the motionlessness. He screams. He is afire from head to foot with want, with desire, with intolerable impatience. He gasps for breath and screams until his head is filled and throbbing with the sound. He screams until his chest aches, until his throat is sore. He can bear the pain no more and his sobs weaken and subside. He listens. He opens and closes his fists. He rolls his head from side to side. Nothing helps. It is unbearable. He begins to cry again, but it is too much for his strained throat; he soon stops. He stiffens his desire-racked body and there is a shadow of relief. He waves his hands and kicks his feet. He stops, able to suffer, unable to think, unable to hope. He listens. Then he falls asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"