CIO - From a Baby's View.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the strangest thread I've ever read.

I dreaded the day we would see a CIO/FF hybrid thread rear it's ugly head:nope: It's like killing two birds with one stone.

In 2011 a baby died because it picked up a rare bacterial infection from formula. I'm sure the formula didn't taint the batch on purpose.... *rolls eyes*

You can suggest what you want, I'm not going to retract anything.

There is a wealth of information about the subject if you bother to look.

I'm not the one making the statement, so I won't be going for searching for the evidence that should be provided. :dohh::dohh:

Therefore I will simply just laugh in your face. Because I don't believe you one bit.

And would tell all others reading your brash posts to do the same.

I'm just guessing the "baby killing" reference was about the push for formula in developing countries?

I don't know, there have been so many topics covered here...

In 2011 a baby died because it picked up a rare bacterial infection from formula. I'm sure the formula didn't taint the batch on purpose....

If you're talking about the Enfamil recall, it was later determined that the source of the bacteria was not the formula after all. The stores removed the product and a recall was issued as a precautionary measure until the true source could be identified.

If babies die regularly from drinking formula, I'd think it's safe to say the water being used is the culprit, not the formula itself. In which case it would be the fault of the parent using the dirty water, the fault of the city for not providing clean water, etc....

Even if the formula companies are somehow holding mothers at gunpoint and forcing them to give their babies formula, they aren't telling them that they must mix it with nasty water.

midori is talking about formula companies using underhand tactics (such as giving free samples long enough for milk supply to dry up) to get women in 3rd world countries to formula feed even though they can't afford it so they have to dilute the formula too much which is dangerous as we all know, and some don't have clean water to make the formula with which is again dangerous. Babies do die from this.

In 2011 a baby died because it picked up a rare bacterial infection from formula. I'm sure the formula didn't taint the batch on purpose.... *rolls eyes*

Cronobacter is also natural in the environment, definitely not something that would be maliciously added to taint formula, it has been found to be present in a few dried food goods.

Poor hygiene, not making bottles correctly, incorrect storage of formula are some of the main cause of any bacteria becoming live and infecting a newborn.

Also nothing was ever proved conclusive, and all the evidence I have found have used the words:

Could be linked
Possibly linked etc...

I in know way agree with the choice of the words 'killing babies'. It's incorrect, barely anecdotal and an immature attack where it's completely unnecessary.

Killing babies?

Yep, almost 1 million babies die a year because they are not breastfed and this is largely due to formula companies pushing and promoting their products in the developing world, where they know babies will get sick and die if they are fed formula, because families rarely have access to clean, let alone hot, water. They are allowed to get away with outrageous claims in these countries and bribe healthcare workers to push their products. They also push their products in areas where they know HIV is commonplace and in the knowledge that mixed feeding increases the HIV transmission rate, in other words, more babies will get HIV if they are mixed fed than if they are exclusively breasted by an HIV positive mother.

In a recent article about the tactics of formula companies in the developing world, one doctor referred to the use of formula there as 'the killing fields'. :nope:

If this is so common, how come formula companies/CEO's aren't being prosecuted for genocide? Seriously?

If babies die regularly from drinking formula, I'd think it's safe to say the water being used is the culprit, not the formula itself. In which case it would be the fault of the parent using the dirty water, the fault of the city for not providing clean water, etc....

Even if the formula companies are somehow holding mothers at gunpoint and forcing them to give their babies formula, they aren't telling them that they must mix it with nasty water.

Yes, however, despite being repeatedly asked to put warnings on the tins of the potential bacteria their powder can harbour, formula companies have so far refused to do so.

No, formula companies aren't telling mothers they must mix their product with nasty water. However, they are fully aware that the families they are marketing and pushing their product to (sales reps dressed as nurses didn't just happen in the 70's, it still goes on, just I other areas of the world) often under false pretences, do not have access to clean water. They aren't idiots, they know babies will die when they push their products in these places. They simply don't care.

I seriously thought this was a thread about CIO ...not how formula compnaies intentionally kill ?????

I do get highly offended by the terms that "formula kills babies"...and no it isn't guilt over my decision....

I'm sorry but don't these women boil water? I mean, they drink it themselves, surely they aren't just downing water full of bacteria without boiling? I know boiling doesn't kill everything, but it kills a lot. Third world or not, it's a basic survival technique.

I seriously thought this was a thread about CIO ...not how formula compnaies intentionally kill ?????

I do get highly offended by the terms that "formula kills babies"...and no it isn't guilt over my decision....

This thread was never about CIO. It was about the old practice (well still happens in some hospitals apparently) of putting babies in nurseries instead of rooming-in and an old style of parenting that was pretty much neglectful of newborns which I doubt many parents still do. None of that is CIO as in sleep training. Misleading title of a thread...

I think it was CIO as some view it, and not the common sleep training practice that many use.

I guess as formula feeders, we should never read a thread on here for fear of what has happened...turning into the "formula is killer" once again...I'm so sick of people making it out to me like I'm feeding my kids poison. GEEZ! You don't feed your kids formula but dang be respectful at least of those of us who do and not turn a thread about CIO into a thread about how evil it is!

To be fair, midori1999 is referring to tactics and unclean water, not the formula itself. :)

I'm sorry but don't these women boil water? I mean, they drink it themselves, surely they aren't just downing water full of bacteria without boiling? I know boiling doesn't kill everything, but it kills a lot. Third world or not, it's a basic survival technique.

They often don't have access to facilities to boil water.

This article (yes, it is from a newspaper) gives an example

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/15/babies-health-formula-indonesia-breastfeeding

The recent report from Save The Children goes into some detail too if you want to read all 75 pages...

https://www.savethechildren.org/atf...74a}/SUPERFOOD FOR BABIES ASIA LOW RES(2).PDF

And Baby milk action have some info on their website too.

https://info.babymilkaction.org/

And yes, I know this thread wasn't about formula companies to start with, but it seems to have evolved.

Just to add, this is not negativity towards formula milks as such, formula certainly has its place, both in the developed and developing world and women in the developed world are lucky to have the choice to use it. It is a valuable product and it can save lives. It's about the companies and their marketing practices. 'The Policitcs Of Breastfeeding' makes interesting reading for anyone who's interested and the author does mention the involvement with formula companies in designing hospital wards and nurseries. (Which was why formula was originally mentioned on this thread I believe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"