Circumcision and cultural differences

A penis is easy to clean surely.

The entire thing that started this thread was the question about keeping an uncircumcised penis clean.

As someone that has only ever seen 1 uncircumcised penis in my life(male strip club in canada:winkwink:), I also had no clue how you'd go about cleaning one. I had no clue you couldn't pull back the foreskin and I just assumed you'd pull it back because poo would get caught up there. :shrug:

I find that's what so many people think...and heck, me too, before I had children! LOL! I think that may be what they did do way back...and no wonder there was so many issues!

I wouldn't circumcize, and I never did with my son. I really believe that like ear piercing, there is no reason to do it, unless there is a request by the child, or a medical reason. I picked the comparison of ear piercing, because they are both cosmetic. Medical advice is AGAINST circumcision, so, unless there is a religious factor, I believe most parents are ignoring medical advice and choosing to do it because they believe myths that it is 'cleaner', 'safer', and because daddy is like that. My son asked why daddy wasn't circumcised (why does yours look funny daddy?), and my hubby just explained that the hospital did that to his penis because that is the way it was in the old days. "That's mean of them" is what my son replied, and it has never been brought up again.

People may argue that an uncircumcised penis may need to be done later in life. True...and so may an appendix or tonsils...but, we aren't taking all those out at birth, are we?

Also, there is risks and pain (believe me, I saw pain when I changed my nephew's diaper - he was circ'd). It was the most disgusting painful thing I ever saw too. Red and raw...for months. Poor thing.

But, there is the possibility that the circ'd male may ned a revision of the circumcision. There are bad circ's out there that need to be redone or adhesions or skin bridges that need to be broken. Rare...yes? But, so are the complications of NOT being circ'd. As for UTI's...those are rare in males in the first place.

Where I live, my little hippish area here...9/10 boys are NOT circ'd. I am so happy my son kept his winter touque. God gave him it...we are keeping it.

I need to save this and show my husband. :thumbup: One of his things is he doesn't want his son confused when he sees that he's different. I told DH how often are they really going to compare penis'? I laughed at winter touque. :rofl:

We did it for religious reasons when he was 2 days old. He was sleeping before, during & after the procedure. We didnt use any vaseline or medication later. We used the ring method. I used to bath him everyday & change his nappies normally, no special precautions. The ring popped out after 10 days frm the procedure. xx

ETA: when Omar was born, I thought his penis looked weird with no shape :haha:

I never saw un circ one before

We did it for religious reasons when he was 2 days old. He was sleeping before, during & after the procedure. We didnt use any vaseline or medication later. We used the ring method. I used to bath him everyday & change his nappies normally, no special precautions. The ring popped out after 10 days frm the procedure. xx

What's the ring method?

I could not do it to my son. In Australia I don't know what the circ rate is but I know it isn't done routinely like in the US. I was asked by my MW when I was in third tri if I had a religious reason to circ when he was born, I said no, and that was the end of that.

What's the ring method?

Plastibell. It's a clear ring placed to move the skin down. The skin will dry & fall by itself after 5-10 days. It doesnt involve any cutting except for the excess on the side. I was there & it took 5 min with no pain & they only applied some cream before the procedure to numb the area.

https://www.circinfo.net/the_procedure_itself.html

i dont see how any mother can put their baby through un-neccesary pain:nope:

religon i understand. But because its the 'norm' i dont. Same as i wouldnt pierce a girls ears unless she was at an age where she could ask and understand. So why remove something of a boy before they have a chance to know how they feel about it? Its quite common around here to get little girls ears pierced, doesnt mean that if i had a little girl id go out and make sure she got her ears pierced too, i personally dont like seeing babies with their ears done. X

Yes but it's very hard to judge when it's something a person grows up to know if that makes any sense at all. Very few people do it over there, so it's hard for you girls to understand. Everyone I know has done it, so I'm the one fighting out against the 'norm' and that is a very hard position to be in because I'll have to deal with negativity all around. I mean, I haven't even had a boy yet and have already been told off for not wanting to do it.

I disagree with ear piercing too but that's an entirely different thread. :haha: I don't see how someone could be against circumcision and be alright with ear piercing. (not that any of you are like this but I've seen it around the forum) It's just a bit hypocritical to me.

Part of me just hopes I never have a boy so I can save myself from the arguments with DH on the subject. :lol:

Yes I know someone like that ^^

:rofl:

But I am the same as you cleckner, I do not have a son yet, and I am not really for it but my OH is and he is strongly for it, so I think I have to let him have some sort of say as well. I probably won't have a son, so I am not too concerned atm. :)

OH and I are both from the US so used to it being the norm. However we are both against it, and were even before moving to a country that it's not really done in. My little brother did not have it done (he was born at home, which was the main way in the 1980's to avoid it) and so I'm more or less aware that it's not a big deal to take care of in babies, and not an issue to get little boys to do for themselves as they get older :rofl:
I guess from previous discussions I have an odd OH who doesn't want it done for any sons we have despite him being done.:shrug:
I've spoken to OH about these discussions and he wonders what type of situations people are expecting their sons to be in where penis comparison (and potential mockery for being different) is going to happen. Most boys aren't going to be openly commenting on other boys bits. If they do it when they are small it's easy to address the differences frankly (like you would with boy vs girl differences).

its the norm here and canada but I didn't get it done, after looking it up and finding there isn't much point and Canadian health care doesn't cover it anymore, because its not needed . I'm happy with my choice. My sons is the 1st uncircumcised one I ever seen but I hoping when he gets older it will be more normal

OH and I are both from the US so used to it being the norm. However we are both against it, and were even before moving to a country that it's not really done in. My little brother did not have it done (he was born at home, which was the main way in the 1980's to avoid it) and so I'm more or less aware that it's not a big deal to take care of in babies, and not an issue to get little boys to do for themselves as they get older :rofl:
I guess from previous discussions I have an odd OH who doesn't want it done for any sons we have despite him being done.:shrug:
I've spoken to OH about these discussions and he wonders what type of situations people are expecting their sons to be in where penis comparison (and potential mockery for being different) is going to happen. Most boys aren't going to be openly commenting on other boys bits. If they do it when they are small it's easy to address the differences frankly (like you would with boy vs girl differences).

This is exactly what I thought as well. I was part of a playgroup a few months back and the subject of circumcision came up. I was the only one that spoke against it and I got a horrible email from one of the girls that night saying that my child will be made fun of and that I don't care about my kids' future. :dohh: Along with things about how horrible Emma is (she gets into stuff while her son wasn't even crawling yet so she had no clue really) and how she'll have trouble in school because I'm an attachment parent and apparently that means she will be too attached to be able to function properly. :roll: I decided it was best not to respond and I deleted and blocked all the girls from the playgroup and haven't been back. :thumbup: I had a week of being so upset and questioning my opinion on the matter and than I thought, who really compares? It's not like men stand in a locker room and whip them out trying to see who is circumcised and who isn't. :wacko: Now that's an image! :haha:

its the norm here and canada but I didn't get it done, after looking it up and finding there isn't much point and Canadian health care doesn't cover it anymore, because its not needed . I'm happy with my choice. My sons is the 1st uncircumcised one I ever seen but I hoping when he gets older it will be more normal
Have you gotten much negativity about your decision? And OT but I love your siggie picture! Now I kinda want one like that for Emma. :haha: Your son is gorgeous. :flower:

We are from the US. Our first was circ'd in hospital, was very routine there.
Now we are in Canada and will be paying about $500 for the Mogen technique which has been shown to be less painful than other ways. Here is an article about the doc we are going with and his protocol: https://www.pollockclinics.com/circumcision/quick.html

His dad is circ'd and this was really his call I guess, his friend had it done @ 18 and it was a horrible experience I guess. Someone I know that went to this doc told me her son didn't even wake up through the procedure - he was napping when she went in and napping when she left. I'm comfortable w/our decision.

I choose not to have my son circumcised, I felt that it wasn't something that needed to be done. I am 110% happy that I choose not to do it. With it not being covered by medicade there will be lots of little boys uncircumcised! I believe that here in Idaho it is about $300 maybe a little more to get it done.
I too heard all the 'Oh its not good to not do it, its not clean...etc..from everyone close to me. But I just felt that it wasn't something I wanted to put my little baby through. And also it isn't hard to learn how to clean it the proper way. His pediatricians say we don't have to worry about cleaning it until his 2nd birthday. My parents still give me crap for it, but I am sure with time they will get over it.

I don't agree with circumcision. I understand that religion and culture make it the norm for many people and it's hard to often even consider if it is really right let alone go against the social pressure. However I believe in researching, understanding and challenging so I don't really feel it is an excuse. I don't think circumcision offers any advantage over general good hygiene. Whilst men might not miss their foreskin they've never known any different so can't know if things would be better. I believe it's better to be natural.

Looking after a baby boy is no big deal. The foreskin doesn't even separate for a few years.

My son is circumsied and he is not emotionally damaged, he doesnt miss his foreskin and he's gonna be just fine. I got it done because my DF is circumsized as well as every man in my family. Alot of women from the UK would probably see me as the devil :devil: for doing this but not one person batted an eye about it here in the US. Actually it was expected for us to have it done. Cultural practices really do affect everything we do. I had it done with anestesia and he got baby tylenol for the day after. Maybe when he's a teenager I'll ask him if he misses his foreskin and if he's pissed I got it cut off when he was a baby. I'm pretty sure he will be grateful he doesnt remember it and that he fits in with the crowd. I find uncircumsized penis's a huge turn-off and have never been with a man with one... I know I dont speak for everyone in the US but alot if not all of of my female friends feel the same way. I think if women in the UK felt like this they would get their sons circumsized also.

I'm sorry but I find it rather sad that you have basically done this to fit in with the crowd. Vanity over how a man naturally looks would never induce me to tamper with my son.

I'm from the US and couldn't bring myself to do it. My OH isn't- none of his family is. My OH thought for awhile he wanted it done, and wanted our son to be circ'd, but decided that it doesn't need to be done.

I have had people tell me I'm setting him up for a life of sexual failure and that I've put any future girlfriends off. I've heard that love is pain sometimes. I've heard that I have chosen to make him a freak, and that kids will tease him for how his penis looks. My own mother berated me for my decision and my aunt called me a hippy! Even my doctor had a problem with it.

I'm comfortable with the choice we made. I am not afraid he won't find anyone in the sexual department- even though I don't particularly think of my son having sex- that's weird, in my opinion. On a TMI note- I never had a problem with my OH not being circ'd, in fact I found it rather exotic. I don't agree that love should be pain. And if kids call him a freak for having foreskin, then I'll tell him to call them a freak for looking at his penis in the first place!

I just personally couldn't see pushing my baby out into this huge, cold, and scary world, then having a stranger take him away from me to take his foreskin off, all because of social pressures. (I'm not talking about religious reasons because I'm not religious.) I wouldn't judge any other parent's choice, however. It's their child.

I hope this makes sense, I'm still half asleep, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->