clarification - making. bottles up in advance

silver lady

Mum to gorgeous daughter!
Reaction score
Okay we know it's not advised but if and when you do make them up in advance...

What do you deem to be the safest way and why?

What brand type of formula are you using?

Do not want to cause problems just want to know people's opinions please xxx

I use SMA I use to make up the powder formula as I needed a bottle. My friend makes bottles of boiled water and puts the water in the fridge when she needs to make a feed she just adds powder and heats bootle in jug of water.

I'm a bit of a cheat as I now use the ready made bottles of sma they are great especially for night time feeds I keep it in bed with me to warm up.

If you make formula as you go along apparently it can only keep for two hours. My mum said she use to make all my bottles in advance but you can't to that now god knows why xx

I usually do them right before she needs a feed but right now I am preparing a bottle of SMA quite hot so that it cools down to the right temperature for in about two hours time when I think she'll be ready for another bottle. Also to get it at the right temperature straight away (as the bottles I use are tough to heat up and cool down fast) I put 3 ounces of cool boiled water in the bottle and 3 ounces of freshly boiled water. (She's only on 6 ounces because she pukes up A LOT so I can't give her too much)

I just have bottles of water ready and add the powdered formula when it's time to feed. We use Enfamil Prosobee. My daughter is not picky so we don't have to warm her bottles. She'll take them room temp.

Guidance from the food standards agency/department of health on the preparation of formula, including advanced preperation

https://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/formulaguidance.pdf

I make up a batch of bottles for the next 24hrs. I use SMA powdered formula, make up according to the instructions and store at the back of the fridge. I heat in a bottle warmer when required.

I only went against the recommendation as my BIL is a paediatric doctor and he did the same for his kids. If it is good enough for him, it's good enough for me! Hehe.

I put 5oz of water in my bottles and when he needs a feed I add 3oz of fresh boiled water and 8oz of powder and it's at just the right temp to use straight away. Obviously I've adjusted the amount of fresh boiled to cool boiled as I've increased his feeds. When I was doing 6oz I had 4oz of cooled and 2oz boiling etc! Hth!

I use hipp organic which you aren't supposed to make in advance. It clearly states you can make it at around 40 degrees on the box though.

During the day I make as I need it. Boil kettle, boiling water in a bottle, flash cool in a bowl of cold water til its around 40-50 degrees and tip in the powder. Cool a bit more and serve. Takes around 10 mins. I deliberately don't tip the hipp powder into boiling water as that supposedly will kill the good bacteria they have in.

At night I fill two bottles with boiling water and fill two tubs with the formula. The water cools to room temperature over a few hours. When he wants it I pour very hot water from a flask into a tub and warm the bottle to 40-50 degrees. Tip in the formula and allow to cool in the air while I change his nappy. Only takes around 5 mins.

Joy x

I make up about 3 bottles in advance. I sterilise 6 bottles, make up three and store 3 bottles for later (with lids on etc so I only have to sterilise once a day). When making up my bottles I boil the water and leave to cool for no longer than 30 mins (usually about 10), make up the bottles, rapid cool in a sink of very cold water and then store in the fridge. When I need a bottle I microwave to warm (I used to use a bottle warmer but know many people who microwave and it has been fine - just need to shake the bottle really well. I usually shake, test temp on back of wrist, shake and test a second time to be sure).

I do know people who use cooled boiled water and store this at the back of the fridge and then add powder and warm when needed but I was of the understanding that you need to make up with boiled water around the 70c mark to kill off any bacteria in the non sterile powder. But I guess either way is a compromise to making them up fresh.

When out and about I either keep a made up bottle in a bottle warmer (if I know she will need a feed within 2 hrs) or if I am out for longer and she is likely to not need a feed within 2 hrs I use the premade formula.

I use SMA.

I use hipp, so it needs to be cooler. I just boil the kettle, leave for the recommended time, then fill a flask that keeps it that temp, then make bottles fresh in the day (cool them down after making in cold water) then at night I make three in advance, cool put in fridge, heat as needed.
That gives me a morning feed too, so then I just boil the kettle again to start over.
I use Milton to sterilise do my bottles sit in that till needed.
I find it really easy. :) out and about I use ready made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->