Clear Blue Digital week estimators are not a good indication of progression!

shellgirl

Proud Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience with the Clear Blue Digital w/ week estimator in case anyone else is getting nervous about what estimation it's giving you. I got a 1-2 at 10dpo and first got 2-3 at 15dpo (I did one at 14dpo as well and still got 1-2). I was fine with this as it made sense to me. Well I started testing with them again at 21dpo, 22dpo, and 23dpo hoping for a 3+ but got 2-3 all 3 days so I was starting to get nervous as I've had two early losses before. I went for an HCG draw yesterday at 22dpo and my level came back at a 7661! According to multiple online sources, you should get a 3+ at anything over 2000 and even the study in the link I'll provide says the threshold is 2600. So if you don't get the week estimation you think you should have or you bounce back and forth, just know that these tests suck and shouldn't be used for progression. Don't freak out like I did!

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/K112870.pdf

Page 6 & 7 is where it goes into the levels

Thanks for sharing this, I know lots of ladies on here freak out about the week estimator. I've personally never used them because I've heard so many horror stories.

For me personally I never use an hpt to monitor progression. The reason is because there are so many factors that could affect the results.

shellgirl, just backing you up on this - for all the girls who are using these tests as in indicator on how your hcg is progressing - DON'T!

last night i got a 3+. this morning with 3rd mu, i got another 3+. i took the 3rd test 6 hours later after lunch (just to get it out of the house) and it said 2-3. UM, NO. my hcg is not falling that fast, lol! stupid tests.

Thanks Jtink! I think it's terrible how much those dumbass tests can scare us girls. I'm sure Clearblue knows it too and is making a fortune from our nerves :growlmad:

even if something wasn't right with this pregnancy, it wouldn't drop to 2-3 that fast, i mean, come'on, not even 6 hours difference. i'm sure my pee was diluted, but still! crazy. i hate them!

It shouldn't matter at this stage if our pee is diluted or not really. There should be enough HCG to pick up 3+ even if you've had some water. My beta was more than 5,000 over the threshold and I still got 2-3. I would think you'd have to chug a gallon of water right before you tested to get that kind of "dilution". Rip off tests I say!

Yep this happened to me too! I used one at 5 weeks 2 days and only got 2-3 weeks. Based on getting my BFP at 9dpo I thought my levels would have to be over 2000 by then in order to be doubling normally...and I ended up calling my midwife in tears. She sent me for a blood draw to ease my mind and I got my results that same day...and my hcg was at 4278. :x

Could have done without that stress.

I also got a 2-3 weeks at 5w2d, which was a week after I had got a 2-3 weeks earlier. I freaked out but DH calmed me down and told me no more testing, which I followed. Everything seems to be ok so far (good early scan last Monday with a heartbeat) so I think they need to be seen as only a rough estimate!

I took another of those awful tests this morning on a 5 hour hold. Still 2-3. I got a 3+ yesterday morning. I know I shouldn't worry but.....I'm worried.

Bad girl Jtink! Stay away from those horrid tests! If you are super worried, get a beta draw for peace of mind, but know it is most likely unnecessary. The tests are evil!

Yeah I totally agree. I got my 2-3 reading at 4+1. Yet at 5+2 it was still 2-3 and it was my last test. We were away too so all the way home I was worried sick.
Had a scan a day later and saw a sac and a yolk. Then finally at 5+4 I got my 3+ reading. I suppose technically it's still within the norm as 3+ just means you are over 5 weeks and it's not a guarantee that you will get this reading bang on at 5 weeks.

But still - I was really pissed off with the tests because they caused me a week of unnecessary worry!

Same thing happened to me with DD1. I was 4-5 weeks and got a 2-3 in the afternoon and a 1-2 the next morning with FMU...Not what you want to see after 2 miscarriages!!!! Obvisouly stupid thing was wrong because she's now a very healthy 2 1/2 year old toddler!!! It was my first time buying them...And needless to say my last!!!! Burn evil clearblue tests burn !!!!!

So I took one for the hell of it this weekend knowing my hcg was over 13000 from Fridays blood draw and it still said 2-3. Stupid tests. I'm not worried, I know all is OK, but now I'm just proving a point here...

Jtink I hope you read this!

I took another one and it said 3+ again, but those tests are garbage, I agree. Threw the rest away!!! :)

I'm sorry you gals got scared by those tests too, but I think it's good we share our stories so other mommies can hopefully find some relief in knowing they shouldn't be taken seriously. The last test I got still said 2-3 when my beta was like 12000, soooo stupid!

The clear blue website says its 1-2 weeks for 25 hcg, 2-3 weeks for 200 hcg and 3+ for hcg over 20000 not 2000. I think it takes a while to get to 20000. Having said that, i would never use that cause it stresses me out.

I've seen that too...the 20000 threshold which sounds right. My HCG was 17,XXX at 5w4d with our son

Ex if your HCG is 200 and doubling every 48 hours it'll take 14 days to get over the 20000 threshold which also falls within the test range

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->