Clomid Buddies (moved from TTC board)

Ya, the one the next morning was negative, but AF was late. So who knows. Doesn't really matter. Outcome is the same.

The Canadian Healthcare system covers infertility testing, but I don't know if some of the more specialized tests are covered. So I'll ask. I don't want to spend my own money on testing.

I think it's good you'll have a hysteroscopy before your IVF. Makes a lot of sense!

Hey ladies, what kind of questions should I ask?

I started to make a list, but I don't actually have that many questions other than what can we do and when can we start, lol!

Lucy I think in your case things will be more straight forward because you have pcos. They will probably start with IUI and something to get you O'ing!

I felt like since we had no explanation there was no straight forward answer and I should have gone prepared with different questions

To clarify, I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS (yet), but that is one of the things I am hoping they can shed some light on.

And Belle, I was reading more about unexplained infertility, and some other ladies who have been through it recommended getting a second opinion. Just a thought; couldn't hurt!

Well that sounds like a great question to ask then Lucy!

Where I live there aren't really options for a second opinion. I'm at the private clinic and to get in to the public clinic even for a consult could take up to a year because I'm young and unexplained. The next closest clinic is 3+ hours away, which isn't an option for us.

My cycle was cancelled because of a cyst on the left ovary. I'm surprised they cancelled it because I had cysts my last 2 IUIs. I got this cyst on a natural cycle, so I probably get cysts with every ovulation. RE said I wouldn't respond to medications the same with a cyst. So frustrating

Any of you ladies in the US can give me an idea of cost of the initial RE appt and IUI?

I suspect our insurance won't cover any of it, and even if it does my individual deductible is $2,800.:wacko:

Not sure about RE appointment because doc visits are covered in Canada, but the IUI is not. So an IUI for me is 400 plus an additional 300 for monitoring (700 total)

Sorry about the cyst and the canceled cycle Belle. :(

BFN for me today. AF will be here in 3 days. I guess we have one more cycle before meeting with the geneticist and hopefully starting the IVF protocol in September-October.

Lucy - I think you had questions about your DH's SA? IUI cost us $500 unmonitored (included washing and insemination). I think my intake appt for the first place I went was around $200 but they didn't do any tests, just a new patient consult and my insurance didn't cover it. Now that I've had repeat pregnancy loss I think my insurance is covering more testing - I also got a 2nd opinion and my new RE is way more aggressive and immediately figured out our problem (most likely).

Sorry about the BFN Ask. Maybe its kind of nice to have one more cycle to prepare yourself for IVF? This way you can fully enjoy your summer.

AFM I'm going to go on hiatus again due to this medically-imposed break that I've been put on. May as well make the most of it. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your summer!

Sounds like a good plan, Belle! I probably won't be too active the next few weeks as it's going to be a natural cycle but I will check in!

Have a great August, Belle!

@Lucy
Costs seem to be very different in the US than in Germany, so I'm not sure this helps but with medication for PCOS, ours is about 800 € and just the IUI is about 300 €, so that's about 950 and 350 dollars.

@Ask & Belle
Sorry to hear that. Remember though that you both have a good next step lined up on your journeys! Take all the time you need, I think it's important to know when you need a break.

AFM:
Had the IUI today - didn't hurt one bit! :) Hubby's SA was literally twice as good this time as last time, so both the doctor and us are feeling really positive. They sad from my blood results, my hormone level was 330 and they'd want at least 200, so that was good - but I was too nervous to remember what that level was of ^^"

Now I'm supposed to inject HCG 3x over the next two weeks. The nurse said I could test 14 days dpo and to call them if there is no bleeding by then, for a blood test. I'm pretty scared of getting a false positive, do you ladies think it's safe to test 14 days dpo if I inject the last dosis of HCG (1500) at 9dpo? :S

Belle, I understand needing a break, even more so now that you are basically being forced to. We are here for you when you need us. <3

Ask, I hope you guys get to start the IVF ASAP!! And I am so glad things are getting better for you and DH!

Fluffy, glad to hear the IUI went well! Fx for a BFP ASAP!

So! RE appt. Lots to tell. We sat down with the doc and got right down to business. I was pleased that he seemed to take our situation very seriously, while still being optimistic. He had absolutely no concern re DH's SA, so we ruled him out. Even though DH had 0% rapid progression, he had 70% moderate progression, and doc says it's really only the overall progression that they worry about (they like to see at least 40%). He said the morphology was a little low, but "close enough", and that a lot of people don't even think morphology really matters. Said if he had to give the SA a grade, he would give it an A-.

He said that even though we have only been trying for a year, the fact that we have had no form of birth control for two years and have not gotten pregnant is concerning. Based on the length of my cycles prior to the clomid and the anovulatory cycle, he suspects an ovulatory disorder, which he says fortunately is one of the easier problems for them to deal with. He did not exactly diagnose me with PCOS (at least not in so many words), but basically said if I wanted to call it that I could, because my cycles do fit many of the markers. He ruled out clomid since we already did 5 rounds. He said with things like that, if they are going to work they usually do in the first couple rounds. He did bloodwork and an ultrasound. The ultrasound was actually really cool. At first I didn't think it was necessary because my gyno had already done one (I am super shy and never had a guy doc down there), but I was glad he insisted because it looked totally different this time, and was really cool. It didn't look at all like swiss cheese this time. And, he showed me that my right ovary is about to ovulate! My left one he seemed to have a little trouble finding which worried me at first, lol, but he didn't seem too concerned. But anyways, sure enough, I get home and take an OPK, and it is positive! I don't think I've ever gotten a positive this early before. So, we've got one more shot before the game plan kicks in. I am just so thrilled to have a game plan, and that he is ready to start pretty much immediately!

So all in all it was a very efficient appointment. I feel like they did as much as they could have done today, and seemed to be sensitive to the fact that we have about a 2 hour drive to get to them. Should this cycle end in the usual way, I am to call on CD 1 of the next cycle to get an appointment for an HSG. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic to take beforehand. He also went ahead and gave me a prescription for Femara. He also said that if we want to go ahead with IUI next cycle we can. And the best part; the IUI even without insurance is only $250 plus $180 for the semen wash.

Can you tell I am excited ladies? :) He helped me find my hope again. I didn't realize just how badly I needed it, lol. Now I am a little worried about the HSG. I have definitely been ovulating at least some of the time the last two years, so it would make sense that maybe I haven't been getting pregnant due to blockages. Hopefully if that is the case it won't be too hard to fix.

Baby dust to all! We need another BFP on this board! Maybe it will be you Fluffy!!
:dust:

Lucy - that is great that you have a plan and are feeling optimistic! Hearing our doctors have faith that they will help us get pregnant is so reassuring. Glad you are getting some answers and are moving forward! I suggest taking some ibuprofen before the HSG. It's not a fun one but it's pretty quick.

Fluffy - congrats on your first (and hopefully Only) IUI! Why do they have you injecting hcg after ovulation? I've never heard of that before.

@Lucy
Sounds like you had a really good first visit, yay! :D

@Ask
The doctor explained to me that the hcg injections will make my body think it's pregnant even before it would naturally produce hcg itself. Apparently this supports implantation, so that's why they do it.

Fluffy, I have heard of this too. I know some gals will intentionally test while the HCG is still in their system so that they can see them start to go negative, so they can get an idea of when the meds are out of their system. But in any case, if you are taking the last one at 9 and they said to test at 14, I would think that would be plenty of time to avoid a false positive. At 14 DPO, if you are truly pregnant you would most likely get a standard or strong positive, whereas if it was caused by the meds I would think that even if it did show up at 14 DPO it would be very faint.

Fx for you lady! <3

I got the hcg trigger shot once and it was still in my system 10 days later but was gone on the 11th day (faint positive on FRER then negative the next day).

thank you lucy :)

@Ask
the trigger shot is a much higher dosage, my doctor said, so I'm hoping the nurse was right and the HCG should be out of my system 5-7 days after the last shot so then I could test Friday 18th... so impatient already and it's only 2dpo X) Maybe it's a good thing I've never had a TWW before, this is proving harder than I thought!

Thinking I will definitely not test before Wednesday 16th and will try and wait until Sunday 20th, but I might given in and test any time after that Wednesday ^^"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->