• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Clomid Buddies (moved to LTTTC board)

Thank you for the suggestions, ladies! I asked the clinic, and they told me 7mm is fine, and they are still saying no supplement for now. I think my weight is average, my bmi is around 19, so it's within healthy range. I was told my estrogen is low, but I don't know the exact value. I thought you need prescription for estrogen, that's why i asked the clinic. Maybe I will look online to see if I can buy estrogen cream online. Sometimes I feel we need to be our own advocate at these clinics...before they were not even going to prescribe any fertility medication for me.

Sarah-keep bding and hope you and DH will catch that egg soon!

Sorry to hear that Sarah... I have come to an understanding that it sometimes can take two cycles for Clomid to kick in. It's going to happen for you. Be strong. :hugs:

Thank you for the warm welcome ladies!!

I couldn't agree with you more Rawan. You really have to go in there with an in-depth knowledge of where it is you're at and where you need to be. I read the book 'Making Babies' by Sami David and Jill Blakeway. It was so informative and helped resolve a lot of issues and get a lot of testing done prior to even going for my appointment at the fertility clinic. It is also wonderful to be more aware of the inner workings of our reproductive health. I definitely recommend that book to everyone trying to conceive. It just takes a lot of the guesswork out of, and especially, undiagnosed infertility. And I love that it combines eastern and western medicine.

I've actually also been going for acupuncture from an MD specializing in Chinese Medicine. It's evidence based research that acupuncture prior to the use of ARTs has a higher chance of success. I mean I could go on, and I sound like I'm selling the book now lol... but it was just that great to be more so in the know.

Hi ladies...I'm not sure what to think about my opks. Doc said I probably wouldn't ovulate until Thurs or Fri but my opk this morning looked positive but negative this evening...they've been darker than usual this cycle with clomid...the one on the top is at 9dpo (took clomid cd4-8) and the one 2nd to the bottom was this morning cd14 (bottom was this eve). Temp dipped way down this morning too. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5336.jpg
    IMG_5336.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 9
With the temp dip and that opk second from the bottom I think you might have O'd... Won't really be able to tell until you get a temp shift though. Doc sounds like he was just guesstimating and us ttcers know our stuff pretty good too!

Thanks ladies. I'm not even sure they'll bump me up to 100mg. I have to wait and see. The nurse said it's possible they'll try me again on 50mg but I REALLY hope not. If he makes me do another cycle at 50mg, I'm thinking I'll take my next 2 months together (I have my next two months of 50mg already) and take nothing the following month if I'm not pregnant. I'd rather ovulate and have the chance than not ovulate.

Rawan, why didn't they want to prescribe Clomid? If you ovulate on your own, Clomid can actually diminish your chances of conceiving.

Sarah why would you say Clomid can diminish your chances of conceiving for those that already ovulate? I was under the impression, from my doctor, that it merely increases the number of eggs that get released and/or allows for a more well developed egg to get released dependent on when you take the treatment...

I ovulate on my own my own too. Also, all of my tests and my husband's came back normal. I asked my DR why clomid since I'm ovulating and the reason I was given is because it can improve egg quality, something that I think they only really can find out during IVF. I've read that it can also improve leutal phase defects which I worry that I have because of all the spotting I get although he seems totally unconcerned with my spotting.. I don't know if he doesn't think it's an issue or if he doesn't want me to worry about it. Unexplained infertility is tough.. It might help and it might not but who wouldn't take that chance?

Clomid is taken for a limited number of rounds due to lining thinning over time. Hubby and I use pressed so I'm not too worried about cm. There are work a rounds for the issues clomid can cause and I feel the chance is worth it.

I agree it's worth a shot, Weebles! My doc said it can fix problems in your cycle such as a luteal phase defect.

Weebles I completely agree. I am taking it for all the same reasons as you and in fact, I used to have the very same spotting issue. Acupuncture for fertility has gotten rid of it for me. Even though I am deathly afraid of needles. All is worth the risk for the end result! :happydance:

fluffpackmama-that's good you read and got alot of testing done before your appt! I never tried acupuncture before...I guess I am afraid of needles:rofl:

Ask-I also agree with Weebles, the 2nd to last one looks darker, hope you managed to bd during your fertile window! I found when I am on clomid, the ovulation kit doesn't work for me...because I have the digital ones, and usually it will show me flashing face around day 10...but this time it didn't show me anything...I guess it's good that the clinic gave me trigger shot.

Sarah-hopefully they will up the dosage for your next cycle, if they are not willing, perhaps discuss your concerns with the doctor? I already ovulate on my own, maybe that's why the fertility clinic didn't recommend clomid at first, but they told me since clomid can stimulate release of more than 1 egg, the sperms have more chance to fertilize one of the eggs, that's why it could increase the chance of pregnancy...that's what they told me...I am using preseed and other supplements to help with implantation and uterine lining...hopefully that will help

Weebles-I am using the clomid similar to you, hoping that release of more than 1 egg can increase my chance of getting pregnant.

If I had trigger shot, I guess I can't take any pregnancy test until 2 weeks after?

Good luck and baby dust to everyone! :hugs:

I know some people who trigger will test out the shot.. And so once they get a bfn they know a bfp afterwards is the real deal. I thought about doing that at first but I think I'm just goin to wait it out.

Oh it definitely may work for you by producing more eggs or better quality eggs but I have done lots of reading about Clomid and it seems to be the same message. Clomid isn't necessarily going to be a wonder drug for those that already ovulate and may make it harder conceive. You might be the lucky ones.

From what I've read, the statistics suggest that if you're ovulating, Clomid won't increase the chances of a live birth. For women with unexplained infertility it increases the chances slightly (1.3-4.1% vs 5.6% chance each month).

My doctor said that when I ovulate on Clomid it won't make me any more fertile than someone who already ovulates on their own. My chances of getting pregnant if I ovulate on Clomid are just the same as any other 26 year old without any problems ovulating.

DH and I decided if they don't up my dose then we'll be saying that's no good enough and be asking to speak with the doctor. DH is in the army and things are unpredictable in terms of deployments and exercises. I'm young, but we know DH will be home until at least December and then next year is uncertain. If I don't get a BFP before Christmas it'll be month by month whether he's home or not. It could even be 6-8 months away next year. We are even tempted to go all out and jump straight to iUI next cycle or maybe the following cycle...

Just had my ultrasound! CD 14 and I have a 21 mm follicle!! That's bigger even though it's 2-3 days earlier than when I got measured before! She said the fluid looked good, a little low (?) but "that's what the trigger is for" so everything is exactly how they were hoping. And my lining is 10mm which is good at this point in my cycle! Nice and thick she said. I was truly kind of hoping for two follicles but I guess not, lol.

There was a big to do over getting my trigger shot. The pharmacy didn't notify my dr office that my insurance requires prior notification and the Rx needs to be filled at a specialty pharmacy in order to be covered. I was so worried I wouldn't end up getting it in time and was feeling pretty bummed, like my first medicated cycle didn't even get off the ground, but they filled it and gave it to me at no cost! Wow!

There are bummer statistics for everything but I choose to focus on the positive. You're right that clomid can thin your lining but that is a long term side effect and the reason why clomid is only prescribed in so many rounds. It's not a permanent effect either so taking a break from the medication lets your lining build back up. I'm not even a little bit concerned. Thick CM could be an issue as well but that's for everyone and there are things you can do... Drink water, preseed, etc.. The benefits far out weigh the issues imho. I think you posted just about the most disheartening statistic you could find, I've come across it as well, but I've also read positive things and that's really where my focus is. I much prefer the success stories, they make me feel good. :) I'm glad that pcos means clomid will give you an even greater chance of success than someone like me with unexplained infertility, I truly want everyone to get their bfp! We all have different paths to take while ttc and I'll quite happily take a 1.2% greater chance. That conception even occurs at all is nothing less than a miracle.

That's great Weebles! I don't think I've ovulated yet as my temps are still low. I'm having cramping on both sides today. Weebles - did you only have 1 follicle or only 1 mature follicle? I'm starting to worry I'm not going to ovulate for the first time ever! We are bding eod until I get a clear temp shift.

I had some other ones that weren't very big at all so only 1 mature follicle. I'm still holding out hope that there was a second one hiding, lol. My temps have been really weird too but I'm pretty sure it's normal for medicated cycles.. If clomid really does raise your temps it might make sense not to see a shift? I've even been using opk's again this cycle and normally I'd see a second line, just not a positive at this point in my cycle but they've been stark white every day! I bet this is why my OBGYN does not recommend temping but I'm going to keep at it until I get a shift as well.

I looked at your past charts.. I bet you will o in the next day or two. ☺️

Weebles, they definitely weren't the worst statistics I could find, I actually didn't find any others. I didn't really go out looking statistics for unexplained either because it wasnt relevant to me. I'm going off what my doctor said and explained about how Clomid works. It's not a miracle drug for anyone, even those with PCOS who don't ovulate, most won't fall pregnant on Clomid. It's just a statistics game. Sure there are those who do have great success stories and being positive is important. For me I like to know the facts and the odds, be positive but realistic.

I'm sure your doctor has looked at the pros and cons of prescribing Clomid as they do whenever they prescribe any medication. We obviously want to do anything we can to help us to conceive, even if it's only by a small amount. I was just saying that it could possibly make it more difficult to conceive because of some of Clomid's side effects and how it actually works. But like you say, you're aware of them and doing what you can to diminish the chances of them negatively impacting your chances.

Thanks for taking a look and for the encouragement, Weebles! I'm hoping the ovary pains are a sign that the follies are growing and getting ready to O!

2 of my best friends conceived on Clomid. One has unexplained infertility and the other was doing IUI with donor sperm.

Sarah I have reviewed the statistics you have mentioned in your post in regards to Clomid with unexplained infertility. It does not indicate anywhere that Clomid reduces your chances of getting pregnant if you ovulate on your own and are diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" (which is such a broad umbrella by the way). However, the data reveals an increase and not a decrease. Further, the data quoted is from a study of the "average success rate" ...from 1998.

Regardless, if considering those stats alone, even an increase from 1.3% per cycle to 5.6% is huge. I mean if that was the only chance I had, I would much rather have a 5.6% chance each cycle if given the option between the two. We all have our reasons for taking Clomid. We're all doing what we can and within our means. The only other course of action is injectables and insemination, or IVF... and I personally rather take my chances on Clomid then going that more costly route, and with even more chemicals in my body.

I think the most important thing is a positive mindset. And support! I think we should be supporting each other and providing hope. And baby dust. Lots and lots of baby dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->