Clomid

Trinity

Reaction score
Was just reading about this on the internet and was wondering if anyone is/has taken it? And how long you had to have been ttc'ing before you got it. Its just that looking back over the last 8 cycles, TCOYF has only identified that i have ovulated 3 times .. and i reckon thats not particularly good.

Also .. has anyone had any side effects as some of them look quite scary Headache
Rash
Visual disturbances
Loss of contact with reality (psychosis) :wacko:
Nausea and vomiting
Over stimulation of the ovaries causing production of many ova (eggs) in the woman.
Hot flushes
Spotting of blood between menstrual periods in women
Abnormally heavy bleeding at menstruation, which may be associated with abnormally long periods.
Stroke (cerebrovascular accident)
Abdominal discomfort
Breast discomfort
Enlargement of the ovaries
Pain in the lower abdomen in the middle of the menstrual cycle (mittelschmerz).
Depression
Seizures (convulsions)
Dizziness

Just curious really as i dont think i have been ttc'ing long enough for the dr to do anything anyway.

Im hoping my consulant is going to put me on this when i go to see her, Im due to go and see her in 6 weeks ish, she asked me to do a blood test on day 21 of my cycle, if that came back low, which im sure it would have coz i havent ovulated this month, then she said she will give me fertility meds, whcih im really hopeing is clomid, not metformin!

I asked her wether she could give to me me then anyway (at my last apoinmtment) and she said no coz if i was ovulating then it would make me really ill, which is why she wanted the blood test taken first.

xx

I have a friend who is now on clomid. She has polycistic ovarian syndrome and her and her husband had been trying for 5 years - not once ovulating, but doctors told her to try heaps of different things and a few other drugs. Nothing worked.

She started on the clomid 2 months ago, first dose was 25mg, she didn't ovulate.

Last month she was on 50mg and she DID ovulate, so she is very happy and i'm very happy for her :)

She said the main side effects she has been getting are hot flushes and being REALLY moody.

Had she not have ovulated on the 50mg, it would've been uped to 100mg, then finally to 200mg.

If you want to know anything else, i'm happy to ask her :)

Thanks Fiona, went to the drs on Friday and they arent gonna do anything for me yet anyway so have to wait another 6 months and then they will do tests again.

I nearly dived into taking clomid off my own back which was really naughty! Got the tablets & locked them away .... :blush: The side effects do look scarey :wacko:

I know .. I was looking into if I could get them online aswell but OH has very bluntly told me that I am not allowed to take anything unless a dr has said its ok first. But after reading the side effects not sure if I want to :wacko:

Available alright but I have to say wish I hadn't. haha

x

Worst potential side-effect that I've heard about was an increased likelihood of developing ovarian cancer. Clomid is definitely not something to muck about with. That's why docs only put you on it for a max of 6 months.

Also, I have heard from others who've taken it that moodiness builds as each month goes on (your friend may not want to know this Fiona!). They said it's as though the drugs build up in your body making each month worse than the last.

Blimey :|

Some GPs push it though don't they & let women take this drug longer. All quite scarey. I would never go through with it so I think ur OH did right Trinity but some situations give many "but if I tried...." I think if faced with a GP recommending it I would though - You would wouldn't you regardless. Crazy world this TTC lark sometimes :wacko:

I think if faced with a GP recommending it I would though - You would wouldn't you regardless.

Oh yeah, absolutely. You have to take that risk (however small) just to be sure you'd explored every opportunity.

I think side effects are really scary thats for sure.

But just about on ALL medication - anti-depressants, the pill, etc there are really bad side effects, but you don't often get them.

I don't know much about clomid, though I don't mean for it to be sound that its something to be taken lightly, just that you mightn't get those bad symptoms.

If my doctor recomended I go on it, I would in a heartbeat I think...anything to get pregnant!

Oh yea definately .. if my gp said that he wanted me to try it then i would! Got to explore every avenue!

hi all jus joined hear still tring to suss it out:hi:

been on clomid now sine mon taken last one this mor been reading all the comments..must say i have no side affects at all i have been tying tc for about 2y now had all the tests every thig has come bak ok found out not ovulating prop so thats why ben but on clomid so jus wait and see how i get on now:thumbup:

I too startes clomid this month as I was not having a good enough O . I started it on Sun night at 7pm. and took my last pill on thur night at 7pm. I have heard that the side effect are not so bad if you take it at night. I got very dizzy about 45 mins after I took it and had some hot flashes but other then then I am fine. Hoping for a really good O this month and a BFP. I will on back to the doctors on Tue. the 25 to see how my follicals look it they are good I will get my trigger shot (hsg) to make me O right away. Sending you all :dust::dust::dust::dust::dust::dust::dust:

Hey I waz on clomid this cycle and I dint haf any side effects max I mght haf had mood swings dat's it.....Dnt get soo scared wid clomid ...as already said evry med 's got its own side effects n it depends on the person taking the tabs also...n I knw bout the ovarian cysts thing that happens if its continued for a long time...Evn I waz a bit scared before taking thm but heard a lot bout its success...can go 2 any extent for a BFP...
Good luck wid ur TTC sweetie...:hugs:

I'm in the middle of my first cycle on clomid.
Been trying for 3 years this Sept.

I don't know if I had side effects or caught a bug but I was vomiting
on the first day - but felt ok since then.
Taking pill #4 tonight.

Good luck

I'm on 50mgs.

hi neyney hard work isnt it feel really nervas about it now!!!

I was trying for a baby for over two years. Im 22. The doctor prescribed clomid. The first four cycles didn't work, but on the fifth I found out I was pregnant. Im now 7 weeks 1 day pregnant. Really excited. I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome. The side affects were worth it, headaches, abdominal cramps. Best thing I ever did.

I have been given Clomid by my old doctor (moved house and doctor now) after my FSH came back with a high level (24). However I was too chicken to take it and still have the prescription. I do ovulate so was nervous about taking medication to bring on ovulation without knowing more about it.

My new doctor has carried out another blood test and has confirmed that I ovulate. He has then said that he would not recommend going on any medication until both myself and my husband are checked out. He reckons IF there is a problem, even though I have had one high reading of FSH that the problem could be with my husband. He says that he should be tested first and the male factor ruled out before I consider taking Clomid.

The health nurse highly recommended it and said it should never be taken without some kind of medical counselling so that you know what you are putting into your body and how it will affect your OWN circumstances. It can be used on different people for different symptoms. In my case, it would be useful to ensure my eggs mature fully and actually 'pop' on ovulation. It would also ensure I produce good quality eggs as a result. As my FSH is high, it is likely I have less and poorer quality eggs than other women.

Whatever you do, if you are going to take Clomid do so under the supervision of your doctor. The good news I heard at my doctor's was from the health nurse who at 27 was having difficulty getting pregnant as she only ovulated once in 9 months. She took Clomid and was extremely lucky to get pregnant on the first round. Her daughter's photograph in the surgery said it all ... a beautiful 8 year old child looked at me from the frame. :big sigh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->