Cloth Nappy beginner =D

Twiglet

Mum to 2!
Reaction score
As from tomorrow my baby shall have a cloth bum :happydance::thumbup:

I finally won over my OH as I agreed to wash them so after a trip to mothercare [and on buy / sell on here] I am now the proud owner of 21 cloth nappies. I got bum genius, tots bots btp and a selection off of a lady on here.

Am so excited :wohoo::happydance::wohoo:

Any tips for me ladies?

I've already had a play and had them demonstrated at the baby show but I guess if anyone has any tips it'd be you ladies on here :flower:

Tips from me :)

Use a fleece liner as they keep LOs skin dry even when nappy is wet!

Use drops of tea tree or lavendar oil in your pails to to them fresh smalling.

Make sure you don't use softener and only use 1/4 to 1/2 the normal amount of washing powder!

Don't be scared!! Know that sounds weird but when I first started using cloth, I was scared about going out in case of leaks, scared of using cloth at night incase they leaked etc etc!! It really isn't as hard as you think :D

I'll post more as I think of them :D

O, and make sure you do plenty of washes on new nappies to get the absorbancy up :)

Yeah, I am just about to put them on their first cycle now, am going to do two tonight and then another one tomorrow.

Silly questions but I need the answers :blush:

When I wash the nappies, I wash the whole nappy yes? Obviously with the inserts and the fleece liners seperate.

Secondly, when washing for the first time, do I let them dry completely before I wash them again? or do you just put them onto a wash again? :shrug:

You don't need to let them dry when pre-washing, and yeah, wash the whole nappy :)

YAY!!!!!!

Diaper liners are a saviour - they are flushable and biodegradable and you can actually wash them and reuse them, or at least the kushies kind can (as I found out by accident when one went through the wash). They also make poo clean up nice and easy.

I have a mesh bag in my diaper pail (I wash every day with my HE washer - only uses 2 cups of H2O), and then I can just lift it out and throw it in the washer - so I don't have to touch the diapers a second time.

I second the polar fleece next to the skin thing :)

Have fun!!! Welcome to the fluffy bum club!!!!!!

:)
A

OH's tip is to remove my card from me :blush:

Yeah I bought some of those liners Adzuki as I was reading loads on here / another forum to get a good idea.

Am going to get a mesh bag next week when I have money again :blush: and a nappy bucket but for now am going to use an used bucket with lid that we have :)

Thanks for the tips ladies :thumbup:

We just use a cheapo garbage bucket with a foot opener pedal from Walmart, nothing fancy. Maybe if you tell your OH that he'll give you your cards back ;)

Have fun!

A

Can someone tell me a bit more about the fleece liner thing? You lay them inside the nappy before you put it on? What shape are they, and can you just make your own from cutting from a piece of fleece? Fleece doesn't need hemming, right?

Questions, questions, questions - sorry! :blush: I now know why pregnancy is 9 months...it takes that long to get your head round all the different permutations and combinations involved with cloth nappies. :haha:

That's right about the fleece, you just lay it in the nappy instead of a disposable/flushable liner. You can get hour glass shaped ones so they cover pretty much all of the nappy but I prefer plain rectangular ones - they cover the important/wettest bits and they're easier to lay flat. You can just make your own from an old fleece blanket or any fleece really. And no, it doesn't need hemming.

How's it going, Twiglet? Been thinking about you!!!!

A

Really well! On day 3, no leaks :thumbup: even through night time and Caitlyn is a heavy wetter so am very impressed!

Didn't know it'd be this easy otherwise I'd have changed sooner.

OH is very impressed and said he finds it easier to clean them up when she's done a poop as opposed to disposables and is now fully converted :D :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->