Cloth questions pretty please *smiles sweetly*

Lucy_lu_84

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I am sure you have been asked these questions a million times, but I’m tired and can’t be bothered to plough through posts so if you would be so kind as to answer a few questions for me?

I’ve used disposable nappies for Joshua, but I’ve thought about cloth a few times ... I even bought one flip nappy and used it a few times. So with baby number 2 coming this year I was considering swapping over to cloth.

So there goes?

1. What was the reason you decided cloth?
2. How do you dry nappies in winter? (cos drying anything is a pain.)
3. How many do you need?
4. What are your favourite kind? (obviously I will research into them more)
5. How do you remove stains? Do they clean easily?
6. How do you deal with a dirty cloth nappy when you are out for the day?
7. Is nappy rash more or less common? And how would you treat it? Can you use creams etc same as you would with disposable nappies?
8. Does it work out better value for money in the long run?

Okay I can’t think of anymore right now, but if I come up with anything else I want to ask I hope you don’t mind me asking away. I want to be armed with as much information as I can to take to my DH to talk to him about it.
Huge huge thanks in advance
Lucy xx

Cos they are pretty! and smell less than sposies

I've only just started in cloth but I use a tumble dryer

3. How many do you need?
I've only got 5 just now which just lasts mea day but I'm aiming for 20 eventually so I've a decent stash so i can wash every 3rd day.

Dont have a scooby as I've only got 2 type so far

On the window sill! I read somewhere here to leave them in sunlight and it really does work! I left mine on the window sill and the stains disappeared.

Wet bag!

7. Is nappy rash more or less common? And how would you treat it? Can you
use creams etc same as you would with disposable nappies?
I've not had any rash so don't know

Yup!
:kiss:

I'm tired too honey been up since 4am with a teething lil man!

in my siggy there are a few articles that will answer some of your q's for you. if does link to examples of the different styles of nappies, the FAQ's should answer a good few of the q's you posted above - just too tired to type it all out again! :)

Thanks!

Littlestar those links are awesome :) I have bookmarked them to read back through again!

Okay i think the only quesion left would be how the hell will i ever decide which to go for?! LMAO

Im tempted with birth to potty then I can use on both kids at once! But maybe buy a couple of different ones and see which i prefer?! Or should i just buy a whole load of one type?

Personally I'd buy a few different types to see which suits you best. Birth to potty are the best way to save £'s, but may be a lil' bulky on a newborn, so you could maybe consider getting a few small nappies (or muslins and wraps).
Personally, I'm a massive Flip fan (I use the Staydry inserts) as I find they are so practical and not too bulky.
I also like Blueberrys and WeeNotions pockets too.
If you buy any wraps, it's worth looking at Little Lambs as their wraps are such an amazing fit and work well with Flip inserts too - they've also just launched coloured wraps, which are just gawjusssssss!! Hehe - HTH honey xxxx

1. Cost. 2. Environment. 3. Prefer not to have chemicals next to LO's skin all the time. 4. They're cute and comfy for LO.

Next to the radiator (bamboo), on the radiator (everything else other than fleece liners and PUL-lined wraps, which dry quickly anyway). It's not winter that's the problem, it's between the seasons when it's too warm for the radiators to be on but not warm enough for things to dry quickly on racks. I use the dryer more than I'd ideally like in the in between season.

3. How many do you need?
Depends on how often you wash and how long yours take to dry. I have about 25 but could manage with 20. I wash every 3rd day, use 4-5 nappies a day, and have never run out.

Flips and Little Lamb bamboo fitted. Flips because the wrap is great and can be used with other inserts, even though I like the stay dry insert a lot and it's very slim, LLs because they are really comfy, fluffy and absorbant.

Pre-weaning: I rinsed the pooey nappies with the shower head in the bath, rarely got stains and thos I did get faded in a few washes without any special treatment. Post-weaning is different - I use a fleece liner, which catches most of the solids, so not much if any gets on the nappy itself, however, I do still get stains because I have a baby who doesn't whine when he's pooed so I often do not know, and the poo is squished in and dark liquid stains the nappy. I dry pail and only treat the stain right before washing, with a Vanish bar. If that fails, sun is the answer; I have no drying space outside but I have a sunny window and a rack.

I wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in my bag, deal with it later. Not nice but it doesn't bother me.

7. Is nappy rash more or less common? And how would you treat it? Can you use creams etc same as you would with disposable nappies?
Adam has had nappy rash a few times, we treat it same way as we would if he was in disposables, with fresh air as much as poss, and cream. I always use a liner with cream, so as not to clog the nappy, and I am sparing with cream. I don't use it at all if it isn't necessary.

I am pretty sure it will for me because I have a lot of preloved (second-hand) nappies, which are a lot cheaper than new. I have spent more than I needed to because I have wanted to try different types of nappy for diferent requirements (when out and about, overnight, etc). I am not a fan of decorated/patterned nappies/wraps, so I have saved myself a lot there. It can be cheaper but it could, I can see, cost quite a lot more if you want it to. But they are an investment, the lovelier nappies have a value in the preloved market, and if used on more than one child there is potential for huge savings.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me ladies :)

The more research i do the more I really want to convert. Im currently writing a list of pros and cons... on the cons at the moment and my list is longer for cloth than disposable - then I will take it to hubby and say LOOK!

Thanks for link for pre loved I will sure be taking a look at that!

I currently own on 'flip' and I dug it out this morning and Joshua is wearing it right now - looks too cute! He looks dead comfy in it to. So I know I like them - I did worry that they might be a bit bulky on a newborn tho. So a few sized ones might work!

Im getting super excited! Just hope I can concinve DH but I am can be very persauaive if i want!

Any tips to throw at me to convert him? He's not adverse to the idea but I need good reason :)

Lucy I uszed the agrument that I change most of the nappies anyway lol

haha could work, although he does his fair share! lol Maybe if i promise to change more :p

Why do I bloody bother?!

Wrote a list of pros and cons to show him, let him have a read. Asked what his thoughts were, did he had any opinions and he huffed and puffed and said 'you want to I dont care'" Really moodily! Honestly I dont get how someone can't have an opinion on something that will affect them to!

Grrrrrrrrrrr

haha didnt mean to come in here and rant! Whoops

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"