Cluster feeding and growth spurts

CharlieP

Mum to Charlie
Reaction score
Hi... Does anyone know... Will your LO be more likely to cluster feed as they approach a growth spurt?

My LO hasn't been cluster feeding as much over the last couple of weeks... But today it looks as if we're going back to hourly feeds... He is 5+4 weeks today and I know that a growth spurt happens around 6 weeks.

Can anyone remember their baby's feeding pattern when they apprached or were in their 6 week growth spurt?

I hoping it won't last too long as I don't fancy a Christmas of it!!

X

After a couple weeks of looking like he was going to regulate, midweek last week he started again. He is just now starting to regulate again.

I had an awful time of it with very frequent feeding when Thomas was nearly six weeks - I had a lot on the following week when he was exactly six weeks and I was dreading it, my college graduation, and a big family get-together the following day. The words 'six week growth spurt' kept going round and round my head and I was thinking that I already couldn't keep up with him, what was next week going to be like? I had visions of having him constantly fussing and fighting with me on the boob throughout both occasions. But actually by that time the constant feeding had stopped and he actually had a really calm sleepy week that week, it was probably one of the best weeks I've ever had with him. Even his wind/general fussiness didn't seem as bad that week!

We're in another growth spurt at the moment I think, and actually it's been useful for me thinking back to when he was 5 weeks because it has reminded me that they do pass. Hopefully both our LOs will be over it by Christmas and into that calm sleepy peaceful state again!

Aye! I think they do it to get your milk up. Last week Theakston spent some evenings on me for 3hours with the nipple held gently in his mouth whilst he slept and everytime I took it away cos he was asleep, he'd start rooting again and feed for a few mins as if to say "I'm still hungry!!". He's also gone from being able to last 3hours to being very hard to occupy inbetween feed/sleep. He'll wake up and OH will try to play with him but all he wants is to be on the boob or snoozing on me.

On the plus side, think of all the calories you'll burn over Christmas. I've eaten like a pig this last week and spent all day on the couch and still lost 1lb!

Aye! I think they do it to get your milk up. Last week Theakston spent some evenings on me for 3hours with the nipple held gently in his mouth whilst he slept and everytime I took it away cos he was asleep, he'd start rooting again and feed for a few mins as if to say "I'm still hungry!!". He's also gone from being able to last 3hours to being very hard to occupy inbetween feed/sleep. He'll wake up and OH will try to play with him but all he wants is to be on the boob or snoozing on me.

On the plus side, think of all the calories you'll burn over Christmas. I've eaten like a pig this last week and spent all day on the couch and still lost 1lb!

Quentin has been exactly the same with me, and to top it all off i had a cold which has now passed onto him. Thankfully the day after his massive feeding session he was almost back to his usual pattern.

Ooh lucky you! Sorry to hear about the cold though :( Hope he's well for Christmas!

Watching these videos on latching has been a useful reminder of what to be looking for to avoid 'inefficient' feeding ;)

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=13

OMG! This was soooooo Otter and me this weekend!!!!!!

And to answer the orginial question -- yes, my LO would ALWAYS cluster feed more leading into a growth spurt. The increased feeding would last 2-5 days... was 3 days this time... well assuming he doesn't start on me again when I get home from work tonight! :argh:

How do I know if my LO is actually hungry for a growth spurt or just being fussy (he's 5w+1) xx

How do I know if my LO is actually hungry for a growth spurt or just being fussy (he's 5w+1) xx

At that age Thomas was generally always hungry. Even when I thought he couldn't possibly be, he usually was. Sometimes I would get OH to take him for a bit to try to settle him, he could usually distract him for about half an hour or so and would then bring him back up to me because he just kept trying to latch on to him all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->