Codeine use during pregnancy

amma

Reaction score
Hi all. Ive been taking codeine paracetomol throughout this pregnancy now 30 weeks, prescribed by my doctor as not long before i fell pregnant i had a shoulder operation that hasnt fixed my shoulder hence still in pain! The doctor assures me time and time again its fine to take and believe me if i could get away with not taking it i would. Wondering if anyone out there has taken it throughout there pregnancy and everything was fine, desperatly needing some reassurance here :cry:

:hugs: :hugs: :flower:

I had horrendous SPD and a leg injury throughout my pregnancy and used regular high doses of codeine, the only advice I got is to start weaning it down as much as you can over the last few weeks so the baby does not withdraw from its use or suffer any respiratory difficulties. I wasn't able to reduce it that much though.

Just remember to mention it to your midwives when you go in to deliver too.

I had no problems at all and neither has my bubba - stop worrying and enjoy your pregnancy chick :hugs::kiss:

:hugs: :hugs: :flower:

I had horrendous SPD and a leg injury throughout my pregnancy and used regular high doses of codeine, the only advice I got is to start weaning it down as much as you can over the last few weeks so the baby does not withdraw from its use or suffer any respiratory difficulties. I wasn't able to reduce it that much though.

Just remember to mention it to your midwives when you go in to deliver too.

I had no problems at all and neither has my bubba - stop worrying and enjoy your pregnancy chick :hugs::kiss:

oh hooray!!! thanks sooooo much that was just what i needed to hear!!! Yea ive been trying to cut them down and have halved them but ohhhh myyyyy godddd do i notice not having as much! Thanks again youve made my day :happydance:

:flower:
:blush: well...I do try...:haha:, just look after yourself - trust me, the worrying about stuff doubles once sproglet arrives :rofl: :wacko:

Seriously though - My hubby and I work in medical profession and also researched this massively during my pregnancy with Obstetricians and several pharmacists and am happy that this info is accurate, don't sit and google as you'll always find something that will tell you the baby will be born with 8 heads if you do AB or C! :hugs:

:flower:
:blush: well...I do try...:haha:, just look after yourself - trust me, the worrying about stuff doubles once sproglet arrives :rofl: :wacko:

Seriously though - My hubby and I work in medical profession and also researched this massively during my pregnancy with Obstetricians and several pharmacists and am happy that this info is accurate, don't sit and google as you'll always find something that will tell you the baby will be born with 8 heads if you do AB or C! :hugs:

lol i will most definatly take that info and be happy with it. I kinda figured the doc wouldnt prescribe if it wasnt ok but yea i googled.....:dohh: just out of curiousity and you dont need to tell me but what doses were you taking?

60mg along with 1g of paracetamol 4 hourly :wacko:

oh double yay thats the dose i was on when i fell preg and have slowly dwindled it down to 15mg cod and 1 para 4 hourly but honestly sometimes i just wana take the 60mg again and just be pain free for a while!!! thanks for all your info its helped immensly i will sleep well tonight (at 30weeks preg lol must be joking)

I responded in Pregnancy Club, but I thought I'd post here as well.

Codeine is an opiate, and with high doses or regular use in the third trimester, babies can have decreased respiration when born (even when kids/adults have codeine, it's a side effect to watch for) and be born addicted and suffer from Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. I'm sure your dose would be low enough for the doctor feel ok for you to keep taking it and/or feels that the benefit it gives to you outweighs any potential risk to the baby. But since the risk is higher in the third trimester, maybe it's worth seeing if you can come off it or at least only use it on an as needed basis rather than regularly?

Just double check with your doctor on the dose and frequency. I'm sure it's fine and that's why he's kept prescribing it, but also keep in mind that a withdrawing baby is the last stress you need (I've looked after plenty, obviously withdrawing from worse things than codeine but things in the same drug family) - a newborn is stressful enough.

To Amma,

I know it's been awhile since you posted on here, but I was wondering how everything turned out for you and your baby? Did the baby go through any withdrawls?

I was prescribed codeine 30mg x 3 a day by 2 consultants and a registrar in clinic on Monday, then yesterday by a neurologist and all the midwifes today at the hospital, it is perfectly safe if you take the dosage prescribed. Ignore the net, my doc always tells me never to believe what you read on the internet.

I takea para/codeine nearlty everyday. Its safe to use in pregnancy providing you dont go over the recommended doseage.

Hiya,

I take Co-Codamol because i have lupus and sometimes the pain is unmanagable. (funnily not in pregnancy tho)

However I am to stop taking it (or not take it because I havent needed it much) after 28 weeks as it can cause problems with babies breathing.

I would run it past your maternity care team, and see what they say. If anything they'll probably say keep taking it and just monitor bubs when they are here.

Good luck matey!

Delly xxx

i'm on codeine because of bad spd / si joint disfunction / degenerative disc disease...
my doctor prescribed it to me... 3 midwives have said its ok... they would not do that if there was a problem.
plus i don't think any pregnant woman would take any form of medication unless absolutely necessary... i have looked into the research about codeine on pregnant women... nd yes it does say that it may make baby drowsy... but so does pethidine nd other pain relievers given by doctos...
if i could get through a day without medication i would but its impossible... i live by myself with a very small support network nd if i did not take painkillers i could not get anythin done. period.
i really take offence to people who make out i'm harming or failing my child by takin painkillers... a doctor would not prescribe a dose that would cause a newborn to withdraw from the drug or cause them pain.

look how many dicks have drunk and smoked and had a healthy baby????
the only thng codine does is give the baby a HAIRLIP and if its fine now then you have gotten away with it xxx

Hey hon....I have severe migraines. I normally take Fioracet but since becoming pregnant that medication doesn't relieve the really bad ones. My doctor prescribed Loratab (which is tylenol and hydrocodone) and has told me over and over and OVER that it is ok. It is only bad when 1. it is abused for a long period of time and/or 2. used during the last 4wks of pregnancy due to the LO going through withdrawals after birth.

I do take it but not without guilt. It just seems like taboo. But times have changed I suppose and I trust my OB would never prescribe something that would harm the bean or the pregnancy.

And I hope your shoulder gets better FAST!! You have a new baby to hold soon!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->