Colds and baby groups

jimjams79

Reaction score
Can't decide whether I should take LO to baby group today.

She was full of cold last night but is better today in herself in terms of smiling, playing, crawling around and climbing if a little snotty. It's clear snot (sorry if TMI) so she would be able to go to the nursery we've signed her upto, and selfishly i'd quite like to go to catch up with the other mummies, but i'm concerned about the other babies.
Some are only 5-6 weeks old - she's not interacting with them but is in the same room.

What would you do? Obviously I would make sure I wipe any toys down that she plays with/chews and keep her hands clean but i'm still unsure

I guess it's how she seems/looks. Would you be offended if another baby was playing by your LO with the same symptoms? If she seems better maybe it was just a stuffy nose but if not then keep her home this week! The other moms might be upset with you if she seems too sick!

Can't decide whether I should take LO to baby group today.

She was full of cold last night but is better today in herself in terms of smiling, playing, crawling around and climbing if a little snotty. It's clear snot (sorry if TMI) so she would be able to go to the nursery we've signed her upto, and selfishly i'd quite like to go to catch up with the other mummies, but i'm concerned about the other babies.
Some are only 5-6 weeks old - she's not interacting with them but is in the same room.

What would you do? Obviously I would make sure I wipe any toys down that she plays with/chews and keep her hands clean but i'm still unsure

As a mum who has a kid with breathing problems ... a simple cold to you turns in to a 3 week breathing treatment ordeal for me. Clear snot can still carry the virus. I took my DD1 to her gym the other day and a mum brought her kid with 'clear snot' ... now we have an ill 2 year old who we have to give steroids and breathing treatments too .. I gotta try and prevent my newborn getting it.

Its not just a case of keeping the snotty kid away from the newborns there, every thing your kid touches can leave germs others a sibling of the newborns can touch and take home, even crawling on the floor and her hands touching it ... she sneezes or coughs and its airborne ... so my long winded answer is no, keep her at home until shes clear of snots .. you never know how something as simple as a cold can be serious to others in a kiddie group.

My DS has a cold and a slight temperature today.
I have stayed away from our regular sing and sign group because of a boy with special needs there.
Admittedly, he is the extreme (he has a trache, a feeding tube and a long line) but what if there are other children with reduced immunity that look OK to you or me? (as a previous poster stated - her LO has breathing problems)

I think it is best to stay away for 1 week. especially as you said there a little tiny babies there.

ETA: When Daniel had his first birthday party, a friend of mine brought her son along despite the fact that he had a high temp and was, as she put it, 'not himself' - the result? About a week after his birthday, my son spent the night in hospital on IV antibiotics for suspected meningitis. It turned out to be a VERY nasty bout of tonsillitis but the fact that he had a non-blanching rash with it made me take him to A&E.
what did my friend admit to after she found out? - that her son also developed tonsillitis just after the party!! However, she brought him cos she thought it would just be a cold!

thanks for the input.
I had decided not to go, but then LO decided herself by wanting to sleep about 15mins before we would have left anyway and then slept for 1hr 20 which is soooo long for her.

thanks for the input.
I had decided not to go, but then LO decided herself by wanting to sleep about 15mins before we would have left anyway and then slept for 1hr 20 which is soooo long for her.

Obviously feeling under the weather then.
Hope she feels better soon.

Honestly when my LO had a slight cold I took her to group, I felt bad but then my LO loves group so I felt bad not taking her, turned out over half the babies and toddlers there that week had colds anyway. Infact the whole group discussed bringing our LOs to group with colds and agreed its part of life and if they are well enough in themselves will didnt feel it was fair to keep them home. But as a young mums group we are all quite good friends so are prehaps more leniant towards eachother with things like that. Though we do keep the older babies and toddlers away from the little babies that come in xx

I'd personally take LO as long as he was in a good mood and not acting too badly. I appreciate that there might be babies who have difficulties, but surely there are risks anywhere where there are other people? If LO was really ill, I'd obviously keep him away. But if I didn't go out just because of a cold or a snotty nose, there are some times I wouldn't leave the house for a month!

My bubs got a cold from baby group the other week.an.i was a bit.peeved someone took there kids who were poorly. he's the youngest there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->