Completely new to BFing, any advice?

NewMummyx

mummy to 1 and WTT
Reaction score
I am only 5mths atm but I really really want to breastfeed my LO.
My MW is hopeless, just tells me we'll talk about it next time I see her :dohh:

Are there any books you can recommend?
How early can you pump so my OH can get some time in with LO?
Can you freeze the milk for later use and if so for how long?

Sorry for all the questions, just keen lol :flower:

The womanly art of Breastfeeding is meant to be a good book, though I haven't read it myself.

You can express straight away, but its best to wait until LO is about 6 weeks old before introducing a bottle. They can get confused switching between nipples and bottles.

Milk can be frozen for later use:
* At room temperature (no more than 25 degrees C) for up to six hours.
* In a cold box with ice packs for up to 24 hours.
* In a fridge (at four degrees C or colder) for up to five days.
* In a fridge’s freezer compartment for two weeks.
* In a home freezer (at -18 degrees C or lower) for up to six months.

well not sure, its my 1st lo to of been bf and so far now she's 8 wks it has got easier :) its something you have to get used to, try not feel shy. you also have to rem that bf is the most natural thing in the world, although it might not feel that way lol that's one thing i still struggle with. also i have not had much support esp from family esp hubby :( the feeling of engorged boobs lol leaky boobs but the best thing of all really and truly the bond between you and lo.

i have 3 other children and i never felt quite so close as i do this time :) and watching your baby thrive on something you have made is truly amazing.
rem to take each day as it comes, each day is diff lol and whatever happens you are not a failure in any which way!!
good luck and hope all goes well with your baby xxx
ps i just started to pump its diff lol good luck

hey hun!!! I have bfed four and am still learning (also doing my diploma as a councillor) we use the womanly art of breastfeeding for reference.....also the breast feeding network is worth looking up as they will give all the info on milk storage but a rough guide 3days (up to 8 if cold enough) in fridge. 3--6mnths depending on temp...All milk thawed at room temp must be used within 24hrs so try to defrost in the fridge as will last longer. Never heat in microwave as it will destroy all the living cells, nutrients and antibodies that your clever milk makes! use warm water instead.You can add bits to already frozen milk little at a time, but make sure not to add more than the amount already frozen as top layer may thaw (some babies can be a bit fussy with frozen milk also...mine wouldn't take it!) Get yourself a good electric pump is my advise...it made it sooo much easier for me, personally i use medela but there are plenty of good ones around. Yoy can start pumping as soon as you have baby, and it's great if ur breasts get a bit engorged or full...but on the other hand you may not feel like it right after, so just do what you can in the early days as having the energy to feed LO is the most important thing. Get in touch with your local NCT branch hun and find some local groups as there will be plenty of friendly faces to have a cupa with, and share tips.

Hope your pregnancy is going well!
x x x

From experience your best resource is here. I read books and went to a class, but the reality was a bit of a shock.

Odd things happen like cluster feeding, growth spurts, green poo, etc etc, none of which you are really expecting and you do think something odd is going on. Success for us (we've just finished @ 13.5 months) was due 90% to the ladies on here who give advice to any question, no matter how silly, long or trivial and really just make you feel secure in what you're doing or offer advice where needed.

So I'd not worry too much about books, rather ensure you have a good internet connection when bubba arrives and just keep coming on here!

I am only 5mths atm but I really really want to breastfeed my LO.
My MW is hopeless, just tells me we'll talk about it next time I see her :dohh:

Are there any books you can recommend?
How early can you pump so my OH can get some time in with LO?
Can you freeze the milk for later use and if so for how long?

Sorry for all the questions, just keen lol :flower:

I don't know any books off hand. I recommend waiting at least 6-8 weeks before introducing a bottle because offering it too early can affect your milk supply. It's good to wait until breastfeeding is well established.

Yes you can freeze the milk. The pamphlet that came with my hospital pump says it's good at room temp for 6-8 hours. You can keep it in the refridgerator for 6 days, in your freezer for 6 months or in a deep freezer for up to a year.

I second The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding It seems to have every answer I've ever needed!

thankyou all for your responses, im very lucky that my OH is extremely supportive (he suggested it!) :)
great to know i can get some advice here xxx

I agree with all of the above.

My tips are:

Make sure you have a bottle of water, some snacks and some cloths in case LO dribbles milk out - all next to you on a table. Also keep the phone near you as well if you worry about it ringing and not being able to answer it.

Don't line dry the towels you use after you wash, as stiff dry towels bloody hurt on sensitive nipples in those first couple of weeks!

Really try to perfect your latch and a good comfy position in the first few days. Find one that works for you, your breast size and your baby.

Always bring the baby to the breast, don't ever hunch over or go a bit sideways to get baby to latch on. Reposition yourself and baby if you find that happening.

Invest in a bunch of very comfy nursing bras. You leak when you least expect it, and having to wait for them to be washed and dried is a pain in the ass.

Get a nice firm pillow and a bunch of pillowcases. I find it easier to feed LO if I have him on a pillow on my lap.

The old fashioned cloth nappies with the red stripe down the side make awesome burping cloths. You can throw one over your shoulder and if LO sicks up a bit of feed, you wont get your clothes wrecked.

Babies usually tend to fall asleep while breastfeeding. It's both the comfort and the oxytocin in your milk, it makes them sleepy. Then you go to put baby down and they wake crying 10 minutes later - a bad trap! The oxytocin effect wears off after around 10-15 minutes.

Get things like nipple cream now. They can help stop sore nipples sticking to the inside of your bra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->