Condom Cards

C

carla15x

Condom Cards for 12-year-olds
Monday 08 June 2009
A new government scheme will see boys as young as 12 handed ‘condom cards’ – a system allowing them to get their hands on free contraceptives without their parents knowing.

The taxpayer-funded scheme will allow them to purchase condoms by showing their plastic “credit card” at football grounds, barber shops and scout huts – saving them the embarrassment of visiting a sex clinic or pharmacy.

The cards are only given to boys who have attended a safe-sex lesson.

The Government are hoping the condom cards will help to reduce teenage pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. They’re also hoping to make boys more responsible for contraception.

The voices of family campaigners, however tell a different story.

The growth of the condom cards, or C-Cards as they are now being called, have aggravated these campaigners, who believe they send the wrong message to impressionable teenage boys about underagwe sex.

Josephine Quintavalle, founder of the pressure group Comment on Reproductive Ethics, said: “We are just facilitating and encouraging sexuality without any deeper understanding of the emotional side of relationships.

“We used to talk about recreational sex among 18-year-olds – now it is 13-year-olds.”

Condom cards schemes are normally aimed at teenagers between the ages of 13 and 20.

However, these boundaries can be pushed a little lower - to younger children who may already be sexually active.

C-Card schemes run in Reading, Bath, Brighton, Bradford, Cambridgeshire and Kent.

A spokesman for the Department of Children, Schools and Families said: “The Government’s teenage pregnancy strategy is focused on encouraging young people to delay early sex but to practise safe sex as and when they do become sexually active.”

What do you make of this controversial new scheme? Do you have teenage children? Would you be happy knowing that they have access to contraceptives so young?

This was on the closer website = ]

My 17 year old daughters boyfriend has one of these cards and always makes sure he has got his condoms before they spend the night together.

In principle I like the idea of him taking as much responsibility as her, cause up until they got the card she always made sure they had condoms.

However I do have a 13 year old and im not sure i like the idea of him being sexually active, but do like the idea of protection.

OOOOh im just confusing myself now lol

To be honest, I don't think any parent would like the idea of their 13 year old son being sexually active! My dad isn't entirely at peace with the idea that his almost 21 year old daughter is sexually active and has explicitly fobidden my 17 year old brother from having sex in his house, especially as he doesn't have a steady girlfriend. However, I do like the idea of teenage boys being given the opportunity to be responsible for their own sexual activity and contraception. With the guy I lost my virginity to we went to the shops and bought the condoms together and it was mortifying (not to mention expensive!) so anything that makes it more likely for guys to get their hands on condoms is a good idea for me. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a scheme that encourages teenagers to have sex, more a way of saying 'look, we know you will at some point and want to make sure you're covered'. It's better than the scheme that was used at my secondary school which basically meant that all the Year 10 boys were given condoms in their sex ed seminar. These condoms ended up being blown up by most of the boys and played with as balloons in the playground. This inevitably meant that the Year 7s became interested. This scheme seems a lot more discreet and just builds on the systems already in place to allow teenagers to get hold of condoms free of charge. I can imagine that it would be particularly useful for the older end of the age group as it covers the age where young people are going off to university and could quite easily become more sexually aware, if they aren't already.

Beca :wave:

DH told me he was sexually active at 14. He always made sure they were "covered" but I think if that was the case, it would have been much better having it for free. Also for irresponsible youngsters, this is just right. Having a condom doesn't make you want to or be able to have sex sooner, you want if for other reasons... xxxxxx

I don't think it's encouraging sex underage either.
I don't know how I would stop kids from having sex = s
I would just want to make it safe if they are going to. . which is what I think the government is doing. . . .

xx

True better a kid that knows about it than one who just does it without having any idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->