Conflicting views between H/V & Midwife

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
Hi
My daughter sometimes goes approx 3 hours between feeds but will often wake up in between and when she is awake she seems to expect a feed. Last night she woke every 2 hours for food.

My H/V told me to feed for about 10-15 mins on one breast and if she is still hungry (which she ALWAYS is) then to swap her to the other side. My midwife has now told me to only feed from one side at a time, even if she wants to feed for an hour!! Once she falls asleep, if she is still hungry she said to try an expressed bottle feed.

I am soooo confused and do not know what to do for the best. Also very tired and almost can't be bothered faffing about sterilising a bottle and warming up expresed milk (which is frozen).

Have other people had similar experiences to this?

xx

if you swap her, won't she be getting less hind milk?

i've been told, in the same siutuation, to feed on same breast until bubs has done.only swapping if a breast is empty. at the end of the day, i suppose you'll have to listen to both ideas and do what you think is right...

if you swap her, won't she be getting less hind milk?

i've been told, in the same siutuation, to feed on same breast until bubs has done.only swapping if a breast is empty. at the end of the day, i suppose you'll have to listen to both ideas and do what you think is right...

I agree if you keep her on the same breast she will be getting more hind milk.....so in theory can go longer between feeds xxx

Hi
My daughter sometimes goes approx 3 hours between feeds but will often wake up in between and when she is awake she seems to expect a feed. Last night she woke every 2 hours for food.

My H/V told me to feed for about 10-15 mins on one breast and if she is still hungry (which she ALWAYS is) then to swap her to the other side. My midwife has now told me to only feed from one side at a time, even if she wants to feed for an hour!!

xx

All babies are different but from the Breastmates training I did, I would advise to feed from one side...if baby stops and falls asleep etc. Take her off the breast, wind her etc then put her back on the same breast until she stops again, wind and put on other side.....next time you feed start on the opposite breast to which she started on the last time, even if she finished on that side.

i always feed on one boob until it is completly empty then if needed swap over to the other boob. The first bit of milk baby receives is what satisfies their thirst the hindmilk is the calorie rich milk

Thanks everyone. Might sound really stupid but how do you know if one breast is empty? I have no idea if mine are or not???

i normally try and hand express a little at the end to see if i get any milk. But most of the time i just go by how it feels and by my daughter she will cry to let me know there is nothing in there lol

Thanks everyone. Might sound really stupid but how do you know if one breast is empty? I have no idea if mine are or not???

When baby starts to muck about and play instead of feeding or doesn't seem content....you just have to play it by ear chick. Don't get too hung up on if it's definitely empty etc....just use your instincts chick:hugs::hugs:

Mummy knows best:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->