Confused after glucose blood test

lottiex

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and my midwife booked me in for a blood glucose test.
It's the one where you fast from the night before then in the morning drink a sugary energy drink and then have your blood sugar levels taken 2 hours after.
So I was surprised to get a call from a doctor a few hours later asking if I was ok as my level was very low at 2.4 apparently! He wasn't very helpful when I asked why this might be and just said call your midwife! So I did that and left a message but I'm now worrying like mad as I've been looking online for answers but have ended up even more confused.
It seems that diabetes would indicate high levels although I read something else saying your levels am drop when you have diabetes too.
If anyone has any understanding on this I would love to hear from you. Thanks ladies

The doctor was very unhelpful! Was the midwife able to reach you and answer your questions?

Was 2.4 your first reading? And did the number rise later on? It would be much more concerning if it was your second reading.

If it's your first reading, in the absence of any other medical conditions or medication you were taking, it would be low as you were fasting. Usually our bodies can release glycogen stores from liver/muscle to raise our sugars, and then later on free glucose from fat, so even with fasting in a normal person, you might not expect it to go below 3-4. But I have definitely had readings this low on a long shift when I had a headache (not pregnant)!!

The main time diabetes would make a number this low, is if they were on insulin or gliclazide treatment. I have never seen a diabetic have a number this low who wasn't on treatment. This is what diabetics call their 'hypo' and can make them appear drunk. Anyone can feel hypo though after not eating, and in a non-diabetic your body would tell you by feeling sweaty, nauseous, dizzy, light-headed.

Your doctor was acting responsibly to contact you to make sure you were OK, if you are in the UK, that dr might have just had a phone call from the lab with no other information about you and they have to ring to check you are not in a coma, or a diabetic on treatment who in that case would need urgent intervention (as their treatment might stop their body bringing up their glucose naturally). After that, he might have felt more appropriate for you to speak to someone in full possession of your medical details, but I personally would have not hung up leaving you confused.

Hope that helps
J x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"