Confused by traditional weaning

Eleanor ace

Reaction score
LO is 19 weeks old, we are starting to wean him this weekend due to problems with weight gain.
Do I need to start him on baby rice before we try purees?
Also I've got some baby porridge for 4-6months but I'm confused about whether I can make the porridge with water as it says on the pack or whether it needs to be milk which I'm sure I read on one weaning site. I breast feed and it takes me 4 hours of pumping to get an ounce :dohh: so I'm really hoping water is OK!
If anyone knows please put me out of my misery! :haha: :flower:

For porridge follow the instructions on the pack - some already contain powdered baby milk so you add water, some you need to add the milk.

I weaned at 20weeks due to reflux and quickly introduced fruit and veg purees. Just try to leave 2 days between introducing new foods so if your little one reacts to a new food you know what has caused the problem.

Not sure if it will necessarily help with weight gain though as fruit and veg purees contain less calories than milk so try and kep babies milk intake up too. Good luck with it!!!

Thanks for the reply! He gets overly hungry when he's feeding and then get frustrated and won't feed properly so the HV said hopefully this will satisfy his hunger a bit and he'll feed more. Thanks for the luck, I think we need it! :haha:

That doesn't make sense - how will filling his tummy encourage him to eat? All rice or porridge will do is fill his tummy with stodge which is slow to digest so he feels full, but actually contains less calories than your milk!

I'm not really sure, it did sound a bit weird to me, but he's just had porridge and for the first time in weeks he's taken a proper feed :happydance: for the last few weeks he's been getting upset on the breast and not feeding for more than 5-10 minutes. I gave him a feed and then we gave him the porridge, which he LOVED- he was opening his mouth so wide after the first few mouthfuls and grabbing DH's hand and pulling the spoon towards his mouth :haha:. Then I fed him again, about 15 minutes later and he completely drained one side and made a good attempt at the other breast :happydance: I am so happy, he hasn't fed like this in ages :happydance:

5-10 minutes is a normal feeding time for a slightly older baby, so I wouldn't worry if that's all that's going on. As long as there are plenty of wet nappies and the poos are soft when they come, he's getting all the milk he needs. My LO can drain one side in 2/3 minutes these days if he really wants to!

I'm wary of weaning early for non-medical reasons, just because the evidence all points to waiting for as long as possible to avoid any ill-effects. You also don't want to encourage him to drop milk feeds prematurely.

I hope you find a balance that works for you. Don't worry about shorter feeds though-totally normal! If he fusses after 5 mins, swap sides. Your milk is all he needs for quite some time yet :hugs:

Eleanor - weaning is a mine-field and people argue passionately in all directions with it. There is evidennce quoted that weaning before 6months can cause problems, but also evidence that not having a wide and varied diet by 6months is wrong, so you can't win. Listen to advice but do what feels right for your baby - and if he enjoyed his porridge and fed well afterwards that's brilliant.

^^ all official guidelines state that weaning is not necessary before 6 months. The advised age for weaning has now been 6 months for about a decade. Early weaning is unnecessary in the vast, vast majority of cases. Formula fed babies are a slightly different issue, as formula milk is based on breastmilk for 3/4 month old babies, meaning it may not satisfy a slightly older baby (although it is perfectly possible that the normal 4 month growth spurt is misunderstood as a sign of no longer being satisfied with milk). Breastmilk is all a baby needs for 6 months, and most of what a baby needs until 12 months.

Formula is actually based on breastmilk for 1-3 month old babies, so its no wonder that some FF babies are not filled up well by it by 4 months+ and earlier weaning has to be considered. The latest NHS advice is that they should be on a wide variety of foods and 3 meals a day (when TW) by 8-9 months xx

LO has problems with weight gain, we have seen his doctor, lactation consultants, HV and a pediatrician, it has been quite stressful! He's dropped from the 98th centile to the 9th. He has had green mucousy nappies which the doctor said is due to milk imbalance (he was getting mostly the fore milk because he wouldn't feed long enough)
I have plenty of milk but he just didn't seem satisfied with it. I was advised to start him on porridge/fruit purees as a)he was showing signs of being ready to wean (waking every hour at night, sitting unaided, trying to take our food etc) and b)the pediatrician said it could make him feel a bit fuller so he'd be more content to take the breast.
I really haven't taken the decision lightly, (we were hoping to do BLW/TW combined at 6 months) and I know I'll probably get a lot of flack from it from people but at the end of the day I had to do what I (and his doctors) feel is best for him. If he didn't take the food we would have rethought it but so far it seems to be working for him.
He really enjoyed it, his tummy seems fine, he has fed from the breast for longer and he went 3 hours between feeds in the night so he seems so much more rested :thumbup:
The pediatrician also said that oats might help to prevent asthma in those who are particularly susceptible when given at 4-6 months.
Sorry for such a long post :blush:, I just wanted to make sure people know we're not just weaning him on a whim. Thanks for all the advice ladies x

:hugs: All any of us can do is what we feel is best for our babies. Our babies are all individual and will sit, roll, crawl and walk at different points in their lives, and in similar way they may be ready for weaning at different points too. If it's working for him keep going - he wil let you know what he wants and needs, and as his Mum it's only you who can decide what is best for him.

Eleanor - weaning is a mine-field and people argue passionately in all directions with it. There is evidennce quoted that weaning before 6months can cause problems, but also evidence that not having a wide and varied diet by 6months is wrong, so you can't win. Listen to advice but do what feels right for your baby - and if he enjoyed his porridge and fed well afterwards that's brilliant.

I agree 100%. I have seen research both ways. At the end of the day moms need to make an informed choice as to what they feel is best for their babies.

I agree 100%. I have seen research both ways. At the end of the day moms need to make an informed choice as to what they feel is best for their babies.

The problem is that there is basically a scientific consensus for waiting. It's only people saying they were weaned early and it 'did them no harm' who dissent from scientific and governmental guidelines.

To Eleanor - If a bit of solid food helps your LO, and you're happy with your decision, then who are we to question? :) In your situation, I would still see if BFing could be tweaked, rather than solids introduced, especially if they suspect a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which isn't impossible to rectify. Some doctors think milk supply is static and can't be adjusted. You might want to find an LC anyway, just to see if there is anything that can be done to help your LO feed more efficiently :flower:

I agree too and have also read research both ways. My LO has just started weaning at 23 weeks and is so far loving it! I am planning on baby led weaning at 6 months but wanted her to taste foods first. Do what is right for your baby, guidelines are there for everything but they are ONLY guidelines and don't necessarily mean that everyone should follow them to a T.

I agree too and have also read research both ways. My LO has just started weaning at 23 weeks and is so far loving it! I am planning on baby led weaning at 6 months but wanted her to taste foods first. Do what is right for your baby, guidelines are there for everything but they are ONLY guidelines and don't necessarily mean that everyone should follow them to a T.

We started BLW at 23 weeks (accidentally-we gave LO banana to see what he'd do, and he ate it!) If you want to BLW, go for it! :)

My lo started porridge and has not since decreased her bfing. She still drains me 100%. I still feel that she could use more. I have always had supply issues with both my children and a bit of porridge gives me a few more hours more sleep. I know she was ready. Do your research and make your own choice. Based on my research, the government may uturn on it's guidance very shortly.

Emmea my LO is the same. His milk feeds are up significantly, he is happier and able to nap more, it's fab! The pediatrician said guidelines will be changing soon as the recent studies show staring weaning from 20 weeks from their due date decreases the chance of children developing allergies and respiratory disorders. He also said that the guidelines change every few years and it's important to see them as just a guideline since every baby has different needs.
We have introduced pureed banana today, he loved it and fed himself with the spoon a bit, it was horribly messy :)

Emmea my LO is the same. His milk feeds are up significantly, he is happier and able to nap more, it's fab! The pediatrician said guidelines will be changing soon as the recent studies show staring weaning from 20 weeks from their due date decreases the chance of children developing allergies and respiratory disorders. He also said that the guidelines change every few years and it's important to see them as just a guideline since every baby has different needs.
We have introduced pureed banana today, he loved it and fed himself with the spoon a bit, it was horribly messy :)

Oh god, finally someone who agrees with me! I am having a bit of a heated discussion in another thread. Do you know about banana poo? I found out this morning :/ was a shock! She only had it once.

The guidelines have been the same for around a decade. As far as I know, there was a review of weaning guidelines earlier this year, and they decided to leave them at 6 months, as there was no evidence that weaning before 6 months was beneficial, and quite a bit saying it's harmful.

I do agree though, that they're only guidelines. I just wish people knew the true signs of readiness to wean (sitting up, loss of tongue thrust and hand eye co-ordination well developed) rather than just assuming a baby who wakes in the night or watches you eat is ready for food. We weaned at 23 weeks, so 3 weeks early officially. LO was 18 days late, and was sitting up and he picked the food up and ate it. We followed his lead. I don't see a problem with that :thumbup:

The guidelines have been the same for around a decade. As far as I know, there was a review of weaning guidelines earlier this year, and they decided to leave them at 6 months, as there was no evidence that weaning before 6 months was beneficial, and quite a bit saying it's harmful.

I do agree though, that they're only guidelines. I just wish people knew the true signs of readiness to wean (sitting up, loss of tongue thrust and hand eye co-ordination well developed) rather than just assuming a baby who wakes in the night or watches you eat is ready for food. We weaned at 23 weeks, so 3 weeks early officially. LO was 18 days late, and was sitting up and he picked the food up and ate it. We followed his lead. I don't see a problem with that :thumbup:

if Ellie wasnt prem we would still have been waiting a long long time for her to show readiness specially with sitting up and hand eye coordination she doesnt them still, she can sit for limited times only and not really herself

Also when Mia was 4 month thats when guidelines were to wean at 4 month and that was only 6 years ago

to the OP we had to wean Ellie very early for weight issues and iron problems and with prems its 6 month by corrected age and some of the very rude things said to me on here have been unreal but at the end of the day I took advice from all Ellies medical team x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->