confused re christening please help

MrsQ

Mummy to Mikey and bump
Reaction score
right hope i have posted this in the right section?
Hubby is a roman catholic.
He wants mikey to be a roman catholic too and has asked me to look into the local churches.

Now i am nothing lol and have no idea.

We have a church of england church opposite where we live which is beautiful but whats that? Can they be a catholic and get christened/baptised there?
Does it have to be a baptist church or catholic church?

I am so confused and hes not answering the phone.

Also how much roughly is it to get them christened?
xxxx

If you want your son to be a RC then he will have to be christened in a RC church, there are a lot of differences between a Baptist and Catholic church and beliefs

ah ok. i have no idea.
thank you.
xxx

Doesn't cost anything in a Catholic Church to get LO christened, we gave a donation of £20 to the priest.

At least 1 of the parents has to be RC, and also 1 of the godparents. You also have to to use the local RC parish church, or get something from the local parish priest if you want to use a different church - a lot don't agree to doing that.

Other things will be dependant on the priest. Mine is very old fashioned so we could only have 1 female and 1 male godparent (which was what I wanted anyway) and the non-catholics were not made to feel welcome in church which was sad. My niece christening was a lot better and she had numerous godparents and everyone felt very welcome.

You'll need to get him baptised in a Catholic church (Catholics are baptised rather than christened but you can call it either really!).

We gave a donation of £100 to the priest.

The best thing would be for your hubby to call the parish priest and have a chat with them.

lol he wouldnt call it always has to be me that organises these things.
I may ask his mum for help.
x

Im not RC but my OH is and our LO is being being christened RC. It has to be in an RC church, normally the one in your parish. And one parent and godparent has to be practicing RC. Obv if only your OH is RC then they do make execptions as long as their christian.
I had to go to a baptism course, i dont know if everyone has to do that but we did in our parish and as the non catholic there i was made to feel uncomfortable until i told them that i was doing it for my son and husband and that as a christian our beliefs werent all that different.
In our parish they've only ever refused one person to be welcomed to the church and that was because although the parents were RC they only had muslim friends and couldnt provide godparents that would teach the christian way. TBH i think they were really wrong in there decision but thats another discussion.
IF you have any questions PM me. :D

Yep my hubby is the same!! Good idea to get his Mum on the case though.

If you want LO to be RE he has to be christenend in a RE church, otherwise he would be C of E. lol

Normally RE just wants donations. Our wedding was 70% for the church and 30% for the priest of whatever you decide to donate.

I think asking his mum will be a good idea cause she has done it before and knows who to call and what to do.

Enjoy organizing the party hun. x

We are getting LO christened in a RC church so you can pm me if you like with any questions. There are many differences between RC and Baptist, C of E etc, but essentially they are all branches of Christianity so the fundamental beliefs are the same. Xx

also does anyone know if he is a catholic, does that mean he can go to a catholic school?
Theres a catholic school near me and has only 5 teachers and 80 pupils in which i think is really nice a quaint. Its also got really good results in the local papers too
I know its a long way off but it will come round soon. x

Yes it should mean that he would get preference over a child that is not christened to get a place in that school. x

If you do a Yell.com search for churches in your area then the Catholic one will either have 'Catholic' or 'RC' in the title and you can see which is closest to you.

We had to do a baptism course at the church too but everyone was made to feel like they had something valuable to contribute, Catholic or not. Non-Catholics were also made very welcome by the priest at the service too.

If your LO is baptised Catholic then they should have priority to get a place in their local Catholic school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->