Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Mechanica, I'm impatient, so generally tested about 10 days after I ovulated, several days before AF was due. I bought early tests that could pick up just 10mIU, albeit the cheap ones (www.earlypregnancy.co.uk is a good source in the UK) and I got my first lines at both times I was pregnant at that time. Regular cheap ones (probably able to detect 25mIU) won't work until a day or two later but people do still get BFPs on them a few days before AF is due.

Good luck!

And Ember did have hair, but it was fine and blonde so not so visible. Given both the donor and I are both blonde I'd be surprised if this one is any different but there are red head genes on my side so you never know...

Erin - it's very exciting isn't it? I think the scan yesterday really brought it home to me that we're going to meet this little person soon. They're already estimated at 5.5lb which is bigger than I was when I was born, so it's very real and imminent all of a sudden. I'm sure the end of your semester will make a difference to how you feel. I know I've only started really getting into the swing of things very recently.

Ruby, I've got everything crossed for you! Keep us posted!

Best wishes to all,

Gina. x

i also tested at 10 dpo and got my bfp both times then.

8 weeks today so baby is now a fetus rather than an embryo, cant wait til thurs when i have a private scan.

Hello everyone. I am new to this board but I have a question if you all don't mind answering. My OPK was negative last night around ten when I tested and positive when I tested today about 5 minutes ago. Can you tell me when the best time is to inseminate at home using frozen sperm?

Quick background...
I have been ttc for 3 years. I have had numerous IUIs and two IVF cycles. I started out with at home inseminations using donor sperm for six months with no luck at all. I actually didn't get pregnant until my first IVF cycle which unfortunately ended in a miscarriage at 6 weeks. That was last August and I haven't been able to get pregnant again since. I went in on Nov 15th for a diagnostic lap which found endo and a kind of weird shaped tube though it is open. I have been told by my doctor that now is a great time to try because endo has been removed and they flushed everything while they were there.
That is all for now...good luck to everyone in this ttc struggle and congrats to those of you who have conceived.

Hi Ladies

Can I join you please, I'm married and my dh had a vasectomy 6 years ago, I have 2 little boys aged 6 and 8, and we sooo want another, unfortunately I am 43.

We try at home (well hotel) insemination on Sunday, and can't wait.

xx

Welcome Cheshire cat and Rainbow Baby10!

Rainbow-I'd say the best time to inseminate is ASAP after positive OPK and then again the next day. A third insem the day after is good if you can do it just to cover your bases.

Cheshire-good luck in Sunday!

Mechanica-I always started testing at 9-10 dpo too. Way too impatient.

Good luck Ruby and Cranberry! Fingers crossed the witch stays away.

Hi Rainbowbaby! Hi Cheshirecat!

Rainbowbaby, my understanding is that frozen sperm doesn't live very long, so you might actually want to wait 12 hours after + OPK to use it. If you have 2 vials of frozen sperm, I'd say inseminate 12 hours after + OPK then again 24 hours later. If you've been trying at home exclusively with frozen sperm and continuing to have no luck, I'd suggest considering finding a donor who will donate fresh sperm. The success rate with at home insemination with frozen sperm just isn't that high (3-5% per cycle). I don't mean to be discouraging, I have heard of it working, but usually in conjunction with a trigger shot and/or clomid (more eggs, more likely to succeed). Best of luck!

You're right Em-I wasn't considering the fact that the sperm was frozen when I gave my timing suggestions. I think docs like to try and do the insemination within 6 hours on either side of ovulation (i.e. six hours before or after) so if two inseminations, I'd say at 12 hours and 24 hours, and if only one insemination, maybe at 18 hours after + OPK.

You're right Em-I wasn't considering the fact that the sperm was frozen when I gave my timing suggestions. I think docs like to try and do the insemination within 6 hours on either side of ovulation (i.e. six hours before or after) so if two inseminations, I'd say at 12 hours and 24 hours, and if only one insemination, maybe at 18 hours after + OPK.

I agree with the timing they both recommended! Good luck!

Cranberry -- Good luck at your appointment!

** We tested AGAIN -- and got a BFN again! :nope: Seemed like a good sign since AF was holding off. Still hasn't arrived... but sometimes arrives on CD 32/33. The last few months tho it's been coming on CD 27/28/29. Very disappointing but at least now it will push ovulation back until a few days after xmas... so maybe it will work better for meeting the donor. **

Thank you for all of the responses. I took clomid on days 5-9 and usually I ovulate within 36 hrs after my positive OPK so I think I may shoot for the 36 hour mark (no pun intended) just to be safe because I only have one vial so I would like to try to get as close as possible with my timing. I am currently on day 13 and normally I ovulate on day 14. The positive is that I have wicked Ov pains so I know that it will be soon.

Nimyra- Where in Maryland are you? I am in Maryland as well. I have no idea how to find a known donor that has been my problem for years after the first guy that we found whos gf offered him to us. Since then it has been difficult finding someone willing.

BFN from me too. I sorta knew it would be negative but its still a bit soul destroying. The summer baby is out of the window now too. I'm really disappointed.

that sounds good, Rainbowbaby. Assuming both your egg and the frozen sperm can make it for 24 hours you should have everything there at the right time. :) Are you doing anything to help your cervical mucus? Its not too late to start downing grapefruit juice or pick up some pasteurized egg whites.

Rainbowbaby, I'm in the greater DC area. After you have another few posts you will be able to send personal messages. You can then PM me. If you are nearby, send me a PM and I can give you my contact info. :flower:

Also see my signature block for a link to a how-to thread. People have shared how they found donors. My understanding is that vivastreet is something like craigslist.

Hi Ladies

Can I join you please, I'm married and my dh had a vasectomy 6 years ago, I have 2 little boys aged 6 and 8, and we sooo want another, unfortunately I am 43.

We try at home (well hotel) insemination on Sunday, and can't wait.

xx

Good luck on Sunday! My DH also had a vasectomy (before we met). He even went through reversal surgery (also before we met) but no luck. We were told we'd need IVF to conceive (and he'd need another surgery for that). We used a donor instead.

I feel really crampy and bloated, like i am about to come on, but its not even 2 weeks past donation yet. I'm worried that my luteal phase is too short. Does anyone know how to extend it?

I got a +opk on sunday and monday
donation - monday
more than likely ovulated late monday/tues.
If i come on today then my luteal phase is only 10 days, which is too short, isn't it?

Are there natural ways to extend it? I don't want to go to the GP because i am worried about their reaction about ttc as a single mother. I used preseed this cycle too, but didn't wait the recommened 15 minutes because i was worried the sperm were dying in the syringe!

BFN from me too. I sorta knew it would be negative but its still a bit soul destroying. The summer baby is out of the window now too. I'm really disappointed.

:hugs:

I just started thinking how awesome a fall baby would be! I love Autumn -- so beautiful! And so many great birthday party ideas every year! :winkwink:

On to next cycle!

We have an October baby and think it's fabulous. She has the advantage of being one of the older kids in her school year which I think can only be a good thing in terms of her confidence there. Plus her birthday falls right at the peak of all the beautiful changing colours in the trees which is just lovely. :)

Gina.

Rainbow-I think that at 36 hours you could be risking inseminating too late as it is best if the sperm are already up there waiting for the egg when it is released. I might suggest inseminating at 30 or 32 hours just to be on the safe side but that's just my two cents!

Nimyra- I live in the Baltimore metro area, work in Silver Spring though. It would be pretty cool to meet :)
I did use egg whites and an instead cup with my insemination this time. It was my first time doing so. I guess we will see how it goes.

EPd- I actually ended my insemination 28 hours post +OPK. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanka for your two cents...it is much appreciated :)

Mechanica- I am sorry, I wanted a July-August baby but that didn't happen for me. I think that when we finally get pregnant it won't matter the season. Good luck with your next cycle.

Do I have any cycle buddies? I would hate to go through this 2ww alone :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->