Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Well donor arrives tomorrow for 2 days :) I just hope I've predicted timing well enough :) Man you have to be so precise when you have a donor! No last minute oh crap ovulating early or late BD!
I haven't ovulated yet and that would have been the worst case scenario lol Just fingers crossed for ovulation on Sat or Sun would be best case scenario.

I realized today that my basal thermometer is less accurate then I would like, and the last two mornings I have gotten 3 different reading in a row, differing in a whole .2 which is a lot when you wanna get it right!

How is everyone else finding the process?

I just hope I've predicted timing well enough :) Man you have to be so precise when you have a donor! No last minute oh crap ovulating early or late BD!

Aaah so true!! I predicted I'd ovulate Tuesday-Thursday so got my donation on Tuesday, but I think the stress and nerves affected my cycle and I still havent ovulated yet!

Good luck!!

I just hope I've predicted timing well enough :) Man you have to be so precise when you have a donor! No last minute oh crap ovulating early or late BD!

Aaah so true!! I predicted I'd ovulate Tuesday-Thursday so got my donation on Tuesday, but I think the stress and nerves affected my cycle and I still havent ovulated yet!

Good luck!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one worrying! I don't live near donor so it really is two day max each month. I just got a faint line on okp so hoping this means it will be nice and strong in a day or two! I think last month I was so stressed I'm not convinced I ovulated.
Well sperm live up to 5 days so there is time if you didn't ov yet.

I have been reading about soft cups and think I will grab a load of those lol

Good luck and lots of baby dust ladies!!

We've starting messaging a potential donor, and so far.......it's looking really promising!! I don't want to get my hopes up too high at this stage, I keep saying it's the first one, and they may turn out to be a dud LOL!

I've got some softcups, they don't work brilliantly for me...there's still some leakage, but I imagine it'd be worse without one!

Good luck oldnavygirl :)

Using a donor is stressful! We are lucky enough to have a friend donating who lives nearby. We still try not to do more than 3 donations a month, so we do every other day and hope it hits it! We also use softcups. I love them personally. I put the donation into the cup and put it in. The only time I've had leakage is when I used too much preseed. I try to tip it up and kind of scoop the bottom until it's all the way in. Good luck!

Exciting news to share, we have a frontrunner for our donor already! I am shocked at how fast we have made contacts, even had a few not so savory ones who wanted NI (no thanks!).

Yay for a donor! lol about the NI...there's always going to be at least one, right? lol

OMG Ticking, your avatar pic is SO cute!!!!!

Glad you got the donor sorted oldnavygirl :thumbup: NI does have its place, we've had some ladies in here who have chosen that route, me being one of them with one donor I felt comfortable with. Some guys are chancers and will ask, others just seem more comfortable with NI for whatever reason...you just need to stick to what you're comfortable with which is what you've done :thumbup: good luck :D

Thanks! I would agree, for some NI would be the right choice for them, but for us it's AI or nothing, which we were very clear about in our profiles. It was, nor would ever be, right for our situation, but I wouldn't judge anyone else's choices. I guess there are some chancers out there!

He has been really good to work with, he said straight off the bat that he wouldn't be offended if we didn't choose him, but he would help by answer any questions. He's shared his legal contract he uses, and all sorts -- we just kind of feel like it was fated, if that makes sense? Obviously we're going to really get to know him before we make any firm decisions, and have a back up as well -- but it seems like it may be all systems go!

I guess I never really though it would be this straightforward, we're discussing moving the TTC forward a few months since it's gone better than we anticipated, but we still may wait it out -- our concern is we've got a holiday planned for October so we're not sure if it's worth risking flying potentially newly pregnant or not, but I am going to take at least the next month or 2 getting my cycle nailed down so we know our best dates for sure.

OMG Ticking, your avatar pic is SO cute!!!!!

Glad you got the donor sorted oldnavygirl :thumbup: NI does have its place, we've had some ladies in here who have chosen that route, me being one of them with one donor I felt comfortable with. Some guys are chancers and will ask, others just seem more comfortable with NI for whatever reason...you just need to stick to what you're comfortable with which is what you've done :thumbup: good luck :D

And without NI I wouldn't have her, it was fine, nothing seedy about it at all :thumbup:

More positive news to report! We've confirmed with our chosen donor -- haven't signed a contract yet, but that's coming, and we're set to try our first cycle in August!! He's agreed to donate 4 times per cycle until the BFP, so it is true there are great donors out there -- it's just a matter of sifting thorough until you find the right one for you.

We've also started a blog to help others in a similar situation, which has been good for us, a place to get our thoughts and feelings out.

Now to decide syringe or cup.......

Hey ladies, need some practical advice.

Our donor said they will provide the sample straight into a syringe -- which is good, but not sure what would be easier, transfer to a soft cup or keep in in the syringe and try to use it that way -- can anyone talk me through (PMs are fine :) ) the process so we can figure out which will work best for us -- my DH is a bit wary of using a speculum, understandably, and I don't know if you can use a syringe without one.

oldnavygirl said:
-- my DH is a bit wary of using a speculum, understandably, and I don't know if you can use a syringe without one.

You can totally use a syringe without a speculum...just lay down, insert and slowly press the plunger. Insert softcup after if you wish and you're good to go :thumbup:

Our donor said they will provide the sample straight into a syringe -- which is good, but not sure what would be easier, transfer to a soft cup or keep in in the syringe and try to use it that way -- can anyone talk me through (PMs are fine :) ) the process so we can figure out which will work best for us -- my DH is a bit wary of using a speculum, understandably, and I don't know if you can use a syringe without one.

Our donor puts it directly into a softcups. It's all a bit of trial and error. We tried syringe our first cycle and DW was quite put off because of leakage. So we tried syringe and softcups but she still felt like she was "wasting" it with the little bit that managed to sneak away. Then, we found what works for us. Seems to be the way this journey goes. You grab little bits of info here and there along the way and if you don't like how it's going, you just switch it up. :thumbup:

I just just a syringe, nothing else. I left it in for a while to act as a kind of plug. As the ladies have said though, it's about finding the method you find most at ease with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->