Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

I always left the syringe in for an hour as a plug and had the soft cup, unwrapped on the bed next to me. I had the soft cup in one hand and, still lying down, would slowly remove the syringe and then insert soft cup straight away, like I say, still lying down with hips elevated with a pillow under my bum. I would then stand up, wash hands and then resume position on bed and have an orgasm. The soft cup would then be left in for 12 hours, over night basically in my case. Very little, if any, spillage this way, for me anyway :thumbup:

I inserted the swimmers with the syringe, then inserted the soft cup still lying on my back, and had baby wipes handy for any mess, but there never was any!

I did it all whilst lying down, hips elevated too...didn't find it any different to inserting it for AF :shrug:

I see a line and I'm really excited!!!!! Keeping everything crossed and sending oodles of baby :dust:

Thank you! Praying it is darker tomorrow with FMU!

Hi ladies -- I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am 'practising' using my soft cups now that AF is here -- so I can get the hang of them before we start our insems in August. I didn't have a problem getting it in, although there was slight leakage so I don't think I've got the positioning down just yet.

My question is, I can do this just fine on the toilet -- but for those of you who use a syringe, then put a soft cup in afterward -- how do you do it? Do you get up? Do you do it laying down? Sorry if that seems really dumb but I have no idea if you could easily insert one if you're not sitting down. :shrug:

Thanks in advance! :hugs:

I bought softcups from the US & they arrived last week. I haven't tried them yet... Bit scared!!!!! : ) they look awfully big to be putting up there??!? Feel a bit squeamish about it.. AF is due end of week so I guess I'll have a go. Hate to sound stupid but I'm nervous about it getting stuck up there either in the right OR wrong position!!!

Oldnavygirl did u find it easy to put in? Any tips.. The FS I saw told me to try using cups bcos he said that's one of the methods they use with patients before IUI. So I figure ill give it a go. But I don't know whether to put the 'goods' straight into the cup, or use the syringe first??

I'm worried if we only use the cup that (like Nimyra has said) it could be a disaster, but I'm also worried that if I do the syringe first, then put in the cup, that ill 'trap' some of the sperm 'outside' the cup!!!

Juniper,

I've used the cup alone with good success. My disaster was when combining syringe plus cup after. I think my technique was poor though.

I was also scared to use soft cups! I was very hesitant and also practiced during AF. I still using them toward the end of AF and sometimes I do have a little leakage. For insems I use a syringe to suck it up and then put it directly in the cup, then insert the cup. I put preseed in before our donor goes in to do his thing. That way it gets to body temp. I also put a little in the syringe after sperm is in the cup to "empty" out the syringe.

Words of advice: 1. I have used too much preseed in the cup and had leakage that way...so beware of using too much. 2. I try to kind of scoop the bottom of my canal so the cup stays tipped up, I usually get less leakage that way, if at all. 3. If you lose a little, it's ok! Try not to freak out! lol There are millions of little guys in there, try and relax :)

Nimyra-I definitely see a second line! It's hard to see color for sure, by I definitely see a line :) I really hope it is darker tomorrow!

Re the cups being too big, there's er, hopefully going to be a baby coming out of there for you all in the future and that'll be bigger than any soft cup ever will be :winkwink::haha:

Understandable to be nervous but for all the women I've heard of who've used the SCs, they've never gotten stuck, they're actually quite soft and bendy and, for me, unlike tampons, I never felt them once they were inserted which suggests that they're quite easy to get in the right place up there...and if you think bout it, there are SO many women who use them for their original purpose, for AF :thumbup:

Re trapping some of the sperm outside of the cup, as some of us ladies have said, we've had no or little spillage with the cups so no trapping them outside and as jury rightly says, there's plenty of them little guys, lol :thumbup::D

Nim, look forward to your next update, I deffo see colour on the line, just pray for you that it gets darker.

Well guys, we've decided to try for this and 2 more cycles before taking a 'time out'. DW nearly threw in the towel this cycle but we decided to mutually agree on a stopping point to avoid blame down the road. We also decided to take a more laid back approach this cycle at least. Limited insems and less focus on TTC but more on maintaining our home and relationship. I don't know if a BFP is ever going to happen for us but I am glad to have a few more months to try.

Leah, that sounds like a sensible approach, TTC can be so stressful when you've been doing it long-term. So many times we hear of people taking a more relaxed approach and then getting they're BFP - it happened to me, I was certain I wouldn't get pregnant 2 months after my MC even though I know you can be more fertile then...this led to me taking so much pressure off myself, mentally, and my body and would you believe it, I got my sticky BFP.

I pray that the relaxed approach helps for you guys; if anyone 'deserves' their BFPs, it's you ladies :hugs::hugs:

Re the cups being too big, there's er, hopefully going to be a baby coming out of there for you all in the future and that'll be bigger than any soft cup ever will be :winkwink::haha:

Understandable to be nervous but for all the women I've heard of who've used the SCs, they've never gotten stuck, they're actually quite soft and bendy and, for me, unlike tampons, I never felt them once they were inserted which suggests that they're quite easy to get in the right place up there...and if you think bout it, there are SO many women who use them for their original purpose, for AF :thumbup:

Re trapping some of the sperm outside of the cup, as some of us ladies have said, we've had no or little spillage with the cups so no trapping them outside and as jury rightly says, there's plenty of them little guys, lol :thumbup::D

Nim, look forward to your next update, I deffo see colour on the line, just pray for you that it gets darker.

Thanks c30! Yes I know ur right about all of the above! Logically I know it's unlikely to get stuck.. I'm a nurse.. So common sense & knowledge should prevail!! ; ) ..but sadly doesn't always!! But I'm gonna start practising using them when AF starts this weekend.

Thanks girls for all the details. I think maybe ill use the syringe & insert the cup afterwards first time round & see how it goes.

Nimyra, I also see a faint line!!!! Got fingers & toes crossed for you!! Can't wait to hear how u go with FMU!

Leah, this ttc is really hard going. My OH & I ended up having a break for about 5 months. We also 'almost' ended our relationship. Life's pressures are hard enough, but add ttc & it's a total pressure cooker. So take the time you need, make the most of it & just enjoy a normal lifestyle with ur DW without all the ttc stuff. Thankfully my OH & I made it thru (but not unscathed), & here we are ttc again. And I'm doing my absolute darnedest to try & keep it positive (he's better at that than me.. I'm a bit of a pessimist!). It would be lovely if u just got ur bfp in the next 2 months though ; )

AFM, I think I'm probably 11dpo. Trying not to symptom spot.. which is impossible. but im also staying cool in my observations bcos i cant honestly imagine getting a bfp anyway. but here goes..Strangely I've basically had NO post Ov CM this month, which is unusual for me. Usually I have fairly consistent CM until AF starts. But not this month. Nada! Today I have also felt really quite tired & at times kind of 'off', keep getting this weird little head spin kind of feeling that makes me feel dizzy for a few seconds. Lastly, usually bb tenderness has well and truly kicked in 7 days prior to AF.. But didn't. But today I have suddenly got VERY painful stabbing type pains in bb's, mostly the right one where I have cysts. Anyway, they're all 'nothing' type of symptoms, the ones that mean everything & nothing!

Thanks everyone.

So, I saw another faint line this morning on the Wondfo and a very faint thin line on a FRER. Honestly they weren't much darker than the ones from last night so I'm nervous, but going to try to wait and hope to see a progression in the next few days.

Also, I'm not 100% sure when I ovulated. I had an LH surge on day 15 (suggesting ovulation on day 16) but Fertility Friend gives me an ovulation date of cd 18. If Fertility Friend is correct then I'd only be at 11 dpo so faintness wouldn't be a huge concern. I guess time will tell.

Prayers welcome.

TTC makes me crazy and anxious.

Thanks everyone.

So, I saw another faint line this morning on the Wondfo and a very faint thin line on a FRER. Honestly they weren't much darker than the ones from last night so I'm nervous, but going to try to wait and hope to see a progression in the next few days.

Also, I'm not 100% sure when I ovulated. I had an LH surge on day 15 (suggesting ovulation on day 16) but Fertility Friend gives me an ovulation date of cd 18. If Fertility Friend is correct then I'd only be at 11 dpo so faintness wouldn't be a huge concern. I guess time will tell.

Prayers welcome

Prayers coming from here! :flower:

fx crossed here for u to :)

I just finished insem at weekend and waiting to see, again!I forgot to pack grapefruit and preseed :( But we did get in 4 tries so that was great.
Off to try some acupuncture today too.

Only one more try left with this donor before he moves out of province :( Really don't wanna look for a new donor, fx crossed

Thanks everyone.

Prayers welcome.

Fingers crossed for you -- just try to relax as much as you can :)

hi girls well I got some instead/soft cups 16 for 99p plus £8 p+p a lot cheaper than amazon. also got another great deal the new clearblue digitals £15 for 10 pack with free p+p - so im well prepared lol xxx also starting this week insems

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->