Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

I'm sorry oldnavy. Like you said it may be for the best if you weren't 100% about him...did he give a reason?

Thanks Jury

He did give a reason, I don't want to go into details publicly, but needless to say the reason wasn't something that could just 'come up' last minute. I was really upset, but now I'm just angry for being messed around. The upside is I know I can have a drink on vacation if I want to, and relax. :thumbup:

Just joint this thread - catching up! Navygirl - try enjoy your trip as much as possible; maybe a relaxing vacation might be good - and then you can come back - and start looking for a donor again? :) All the best anyway, and hopefully someone else is just around the corner once you get home x

Anyway - Hiya everyone else. New(ish) to the whole at home-insemination thing so thought I'd give this thread a try, 4 months going (had a two month break inbetween), and still no positive - still hopeful though!

10DPO BFN this am, ugh not taking another test until the 6th day after AF suppose to show her ugly face

Welcome, K.N.! 4 months isn't so long. My doc never wanted to talk to me unless I had been trying at least 8 months. Hope you get your lucky egg soon!

So sorry Old Navy girl... We are quite at the mercy of our donors. A reliable donor is worth his weight in gold.

My one suggestion is to pick a donor who has donated/conceived a donor child before. Those donors usually understand better that it can take more than 1 or 2 months to conceive and are accustomed to working around recipient schedules. I think of 1st time donors as "wild cards" - they might be great, but they might flake when they realize it isn't easy or requires a bit of sacrifice on their part.

...This doesn't count close friends who are donating to you of course, the relationship is often strong enough to make them try harder.

Welcome kn! It took me 7 months (w a month off in there)...good luck!

Oldnavy-That's a crappy situation...I'm sure it's for the better. Enjoy vacation and come reenergized to find a better donor!

Our donor is a close friend. He has 2 kids already, so he understood how it can take a while. They tried for a year with their first. Plus we already knew his sperm worked which saved us on the testing. Good luck ladies!

Oldnavy, I'm sorry -- how disappointing :( enjoy your vacation, relax, and everything will fall into place <3 it stinks to be at the mercy of your donor. We had planned three donations this cycle but were only able to get two, due to unforeseen circumstances with our donor. Blah.

Welcome, kn :)

I finally got my +OPK yesterday morning at 10:30am. That was CD14. We got a donation early am on CD12, early am CD14, and I'm due to o today. OPK still + as of 9:20am. We missed our scheduled donation for this am. Still have a chance, do you think? I'm trying not to feel discouraged.

They say it takes 7 hours for the sperm to travel and get ready to fertilize an egg. I read you have a better chance of fertilization if the sperm is already waiting for the egg than trying to catch the egg after it releases. Good luck!!!

Thanks, ladies. I was really banking on that 3rd donation... was feeling ok without it until I read that, while sperm can live up to 5 days, most die in 1-2. I swear google is bad news lol.

But nothing I can do about it now, so I'll just wait, hope, and fx for strong, healthy swimmers :)

Seriously, don't be discouraged! While it's normal for most of the sperm to die off on the way to the egg (that's why there are SO many sperms), the ones that make it will indeed hang out for a few days. They are the tough ones! You are totally in the game!

I'm pretty sure there's a lady on here who conceived from 1 donation that was 4 or 5 days before ovulation, and there's also successes from the day after ov, so there's always hope :thumbup:

day_dreamer, I read somewhere recently that there was a study that found that out of "X" number of pregnancies tracked, NONE conceived after ovulation. Now, how exactly really do they know that??? I think that can't really be true!!

I'm pretty sure there's a lady on here who conceived from 1 donation that was 4 or 5 days before ovulation, and there's also successes from the day after ov, so there's always hope :thumbup:

That was me :thumbup:
1 donation 5 days before ovulation ....... Wasn't planned that way I just ovulated later than normal, and my lil girl is 7 months old now

NEVER ever give up hope :flower:

Thanks, ladies. I was really banking on that 3rd donation... was feeling ok without it until I read that, while sperm can live up to 5 days, most die in 1-2. I swear google is bad news lol.

But nothing I can do about it now, so I'll just wait, hope, and fx for strong, healthy swimmers :)

Sperm can live up to 7 days, my daughter was conceived with 1 donation 5 days before ovulation :thumbup:

That was me :thumbup:
1 donation 5 days before ovulation ....... Wasn't planned that way I just ovulated later than normal, and my lil girl is 7 months old now

NEVER ever give up hope :flower:

I needed to read that..

I was convinced it wouldn't work, had even spoken with donor about the following months donations so imagine my shock at getting a BFP

I was convinced it wouldn't work, had even spoken with donor about the following months donations so imagine my shock at getting a BFP

I keep hoping I did all I could.. This is my first month at TTC after taking off for 4 years after a year of no luck.. Different donor and more AI and actually know. Round about when I O.. But man that BFN hurt my feelings this morning.. But still holding on to hope 10 DPO today so going to try an wait it out and see

Thanks for the support ladies!

He isn't a first time donor so he should know the score -- but after a bit of digging, he's actually working with someone else, not other committments as he said. He's flat out lied about a number of things with us and I'm just so angry I could scream! If anyone is still looking I can discuss the particulars in a PM because I honestly would say if he contacts you -- run a mile!! In a way I'm glad the last cycle was unsuccessful now because I wouldn't have wanted to be 'tied' to him in any way whatsoever.

Welcome, K.N.! 4 months isn't so long. My doc never wanted to talk to me unless I had been trying at least 8 months. Hope you get your lucky egg soon!

So sorry Old Navy girl... We are quite at the mercy of our donors. A reliable donor is worth his weight in gold.

My one suggestion is to pick a donor who has donated/conceived a donor child before. Those donors usually understand better that it can take more than 1 or 2 months to conceive and are accustomed to working around recipient schedules. I think of 1st time donors as "wild cards" - they might be great, but they might flake when they realize it isn't easy or requires a bit of sacrifice on their part.

...This doesn't count close friends who are donating to you of course, the relationship is often strong enough to make them try harder.

Thanks :). Just in the 2ww now, so hoping for a bfp soon. Time will tell, you're right though - 4 months isn't long at all :).

Totally agree though about finding a donor who has helped someone conceive before; and who is prepared for the long haul rather than just a 3 month stint - then hoping it'll be over. ttc can take a long time sometimes. I think really, I just got lucky with my donor - he is so easy to get on with; and he does regular fertility checks etc. They need more of him scattered around the world!!

And wow; I can imagine the excitement of your bfp - just goes to show that it really is 'random' selection huh, whether egg and sperm meet or not! I usually attempt two days before O, the day of and the day after. But sometimes we only get one chance, so we do the day before and the day after O day.

Uggg it can be annoying having a donor who doesn't cooperate on some level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->