• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Continuing To Use The Natural Parenting Section (After Yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that kinda defeats the purpose of this thread and it should be locked... or you can stop being petty and use the thread for what it is obviously intented.

for what? to say thanks and move on? some of us have a different opinion or is that frowned upon?

and you have voiced those opinions... now either you accept what has happened (along with Wobbles explaination) or you don't and move on.

I don't ever normally get involved in threads like this but I am going to this time as I have sat back and watched yesterday and today unfold into something I don't much like.

Wobbs and SC give a lot of time and energy to this entire forum and they run it really well with a team of Mods who do work that we have no idea about to protect us from all sorts of liars and people looking to cause trouble. They don't go around looking for thanks for it, they simply just do it which I again, am truly grateful for.

The rules are clearly there for everyone to see when they join and if other people are complaining about certain members or posts, what are the Mods expected to do? Of course they have to deal with it. Now, that may sometimes include friends that we have made on here but put the boot on the other foot - if you ever complain about someone, that is also someones friend so would you not want it dealt with? Of course you would.

I think it is a real shame that once again, a post that was well meant has turned into a debate over the rights and wrongs of how someone chooses to run THEIR forum.

I personally like it in here and would hate to see it closed down as I know would many others so I am genuinely grateful that Wobbs opened it again.

I'll probably get jumped on now too but there you go.....

xxx

I would just like to say that, I'm not sure I believe 90% of reported posts come from regular users of this section (mostly because most of them have been banned). I think that people need to stop being so offended by other opinions. For instance, someone I know has kittens and was trying to sell them I said, I'm not a cat person so wouldn't want one. She didn't fall out with me over or tell me how insulted she was that I didn't like cats because it's needless and if she did, she would be looking for an argument which is what most of the people who come here do. And people do feel the need to judge us because of our parenting tecniques (ie the 6 different people who all posted the same threads about how we were all going to suffocate our babies :dohh:). And it's threads from people outwith this section that I have seen most 'angst' from. And in all honesty, if people are happy whith their parenting decisions, why would they be upset by someone else?

BTW, I do still have two kittens to sell :haha:

Am glad NP is back up.

I am very uncomfortable about the idea that a whole section was closed down because of problems with a particular thread or because of the activity of a small number of members - I am not commenting on what that activity was as I have no idea.
There have been various threads in other sections that have contained offensive posts and posts by members who regularly contribute to the closure of threads by persisting in posting offensive material. These threads have simply been closed and, I am guessing, members warned.
As a regular poster in this section I now feel as though I am somehow part of some unruly minority that is here under sufferance. There have been some posts/threads/signatures in other sections recently that were blatantly intended as a dig at those who follow the various practices discussed in the NP section - and those threads were allowed to run their course. By closing a whole section off the back of a heated thread (and I hear what you say about other factors but people will probably tend to see it as heated thread = closure of section) I feel that a message has been sent out that it is acceptable to make digs at NP type practices but not acceptable for anyone one the NP side of one of those practices to make any sort of negative comment in the opposite direction.
I am a strong believer in courtesy, adult debate and freedom of choice - but I do feel that the courtesy that is expected of members active in the NP section towards those who stick mainly to the babyclub section, is not necessarily present in the opposite direction if you see what I mean.
The closure has happened and it can't be undone, but it has changed the whole feel of this section for me.

LOL you sniffed me out Chelle, hope you don't mind me using you as an example, just the first thing that popped in to me head :)

I don't post in here really but i do read loads of the posts here and across the rest of the forum. Its a shame that we have lost some members but i have seen how upsetting some comments from a couple of these banned members made in OTHER parts of the forum have been to people. I would rather loose a couple of people then loose a whole section on natural parenting, so thanks Wobbles for making IMO the right decision.
P.S. please don't hate me :)

I was back for a matter of hours after moving home and having to have a bnb break before I noticed a number of those girls putting people down and making myself (and I'm sure others) feel inferior.

Arguing with Admin and then saying something riduclous like "are you going to ban me now?" is stupid! It makes you look like an idiot to be honest. MOST people on here know it takes a lot for a member to be banned.

Kit;

I made a mistake although it was for a short period I acted on instinct what I thought was right at the time and think about what next ...at some point we have all been guilty of what seemed best at the time maybe wasn't. I admitted in the start of this thread that brain was second. Whist juggling a forum of thousands, own problems, own down days, home & 2 young children I am only human to make them. With that considered I hope in time you accept with some understanding my explanation and do not feel the use of NP is any different. Honest it could have been the same topic any where on the forum.

If you see any content on the forum that you see as offensive please report it, it's simply impossible to see them all and the same for signatures they are not to be used to make digs I simply hate it when people do this.

Why all the digs at the closure??? It was closed for a few hours...so what? Wobbles has explained that she needed to think about it and to me that is fair enough. We all need time to make sensible decisions. We ALL also make quick decisions that we change.

Get off your high horses and give the mods a break!!! like it has been said before - they give up so much time to make sure it all runs nicely for the rest of us and look out for us. So chill out!

OK I kept my mouth shut ...... which take alot some times lol even surprise myself at times!

but

IMHO

This is getting all rather childish and pathetic now, neither sides are going to agree, so why not just agree to disagree and move on

Seriously there are more important things to think about in life than fighting over something that happened on a forum, yes it is just a forum at the end of the day, yesterday while these arguments were going on, there were people in cumbria being told their loved ones had been shot dead ...... really puts things into prespective

I think the reason we don't report other things is because instead of getting on our high horse about them,we just leave people to it. Their kids, their lives up them what they do IMO. If someone says I don't pick my baby up every time he/she cries I think it's OK to let them cry it out and don't like picking them up all the time. I don't jump in and say well, that means that I'm wrong for picking my baby up and your out of order and should be thinking of others feeling. I think meh, that's up to them and leave them to it. I wish the same coutesy would be extended. If someone said I hate cloth nappies I wouldn't care either cos it's nothing to do with me :shrug:

I think the reason we don't report other things is because instead of getting on our high horse about them,we just leave people to it. Their kids, their lives up them what they do IMO. If someone says I don't pick my baby up every time he/she cries I think it's OK to let them cry it out and don't like picking them up all the time. I don't jump in and say well, that means that I'm wrong for picking my baby up and your out of order and should be thinking of others feeling. I think meh, that's up to them and them to it. I wisjh the same coutesy would be extended. If someone said I hate cloth nappies I wouldn't care either cos it's nothing to do with me :shrug:

But, if someone said I hate cloth nappies because cloth nappy babies smell like wee, get sore bums, and I don't know, for examples sake, get autism! You wouldn't even be a little peeved at them saying your baby smells, is going to get a sore bum and could get autism when all of the above ARE NOT TRUE?

i think people came into the np forum just to cause trouble, so people should just butt out of it and mind their own business and get on with things.

Buttonnose;

I understand what your saying but whist we say nothing at all people create their own stories (and have been). So putting up an explanation without locking it (or we'd be slammed for that lol) is quite helpful and sets a couple of things straight.

x

MOST people on here know it takes a lot for a member to be banned.

Honestly I don't think that's the case for alot of us here. I for one feel as though I'm walking on eggshells because if I disagree, my fate will be the same as the others. I was under the impression that this thread was started in order to allow some debate on what went on yesterday so there could be some level of understanding but to be perfectly honest, I have been keeping an eye on the thread and have not felt comfortable posting in case it means the end of my BnB membership. I have a number of non NP friends on this site and don't want to lose track of them.

I'm fine with the kitten example...now you sure you dont want one? Anyone? :haha:

Toria I dont think anyone was aiming to make you feel inferior, I used disposables at night till a few nights ago...and once you have used cloth you do notice that sposies have a smell. Still didn't put me off using them though :shrug: I'm not aiming to bring up the whole issue again though.

Oh and I dont mind if someone says cloth smells as sometimes it does.

I think the reason we don't report other things is because instead of getting on our high horse about them,we just leave people to it. Their kids, their lives up them what they do IMO. If someone says I don't pick my baby up every time he/she cries I think it's OK to let them cry it out and don't like picking them up all the time. I don't jump in and say well, that means that I'm wrong for picking my baby up and your out of order and should be thinking of others feeling. I think meh, that's up to them and them to it. I wisjh the same coutesy would be extended. If someone said I hate cloth nappies I wouldn't care either cos it's nothing to do with me :shrug:

You don't know what other people find offensive though - everyone is different, what you can ignore others can not - a forum cant just allow people to say what they like no matter who it offends in the hope that anyone who is offended will simply ignore it!

I do spend a fair amount of time reading the NP forum and I really do not get the people who claim that they are victims of the non NP forum members picking on them - if I am completly honest i will say that sometimes it feels a little bit the other way around - that some folk, some of who aren't here, posted in a manner that came across of rather superior. Almost laughing at anyone's reasoning for not using NP methods.

But, if someone said I hate cloth nappies because cloth nappy babies smell like wee, get sore bums, and I don't know, for examples sake, get autism! You wouldn't even be a little peeved at them saying your baby smells, is going to get a sore bum and could get autism when all of the above ARE NOT TRUE?

I don't think any of us would be peeved because as you say all the abobve are not true! We're grown up enough to see something which to us is ridiculous, sigh, and move on.

MOST people on here know it takes a lot for a member to be banned.

Honestly I don't think that's the case for alot of us here. I for one feel as though I'm walking on eggshells because if I disagree, my fate will be the same as the others. I was under the impression that this thread was started in order to allow some debate on what went on yesterday so there could be some level of understanding but to be perfectly honest, I have been keeping an eye on the thread and have not felt comfortable posting in case it means the end of my BnB membership. I have a number of non NP friends on this site and don't want to lose track of them.

I hear what you're saying, but you can have your own opinion on things without belittling people if that makes sense. There are millions of ways of wording things and sometimes people just have abrupt and insensitive approaches to most things....

I'm not trying to argue I just don't think you should be worried if you're a nice person x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back