Coping with an axiety disorder and pregnancy hormones

BrittRashel

Momma + Expecting #2
Reaction score
Has anyone else dealt with generalized anxiety disorder during pregnancy? Not anxiety because of pregnancy but been diagnosed with anxiety and then gotten pregnant later on. I was diagnosed with GAD several months back and was put on medication. I went off my meds about 3 months ago because I knew we were going to start TTC. I have been doing really well, that is up until I got pregnant. Almost immediately after getting my BFP, I regressed a lot. I'm assuming it's the hormones but my anxiety levels are extremely high lately. Now I feel like I'm back to square one and there's nothing that I can do about it. I am not sure if there are any meds that I can take while pregnant but even if there are, I would really rather not take anything. I want to manage this as naturally as possible. Is there anyone who has successfully been able to manage their anxiety while pregnant and would care to share some advice with me?

Hi :) sorry to hear you're having a hard time with your anxiety.. I have a variety of mental health issues including panic attacks, anxiety and social anxiety disorder.. I came off all my medication before Christmas because we were TTC but if I'm honest the medication I was on wasn't helping me anyway.. I was particularly 'stressed out' for the first 9 weeks of this pregnancy (my first) but now things are settling down a bit so maybe they will settle down again eventually for you too? I'd make sure you talk to someone as much as you can about your condition if it's possible.. Hope you're okay :)

Sorry I have no personal experience but could you arrange counselling rather than medication? Hopefully once the hormones settle down a bit you will start to feel a little better.

Hi :) sorry to hear you're having a hard time with your anxiety.. I have a variety of mental health issues including panic attacks, anxiety and social anxiety disorder.. I came off all my medication before Christmas because we were TTC but if I'm honest the medication I was on wasn't helping me anyway.. I was particularly 'stressed out' for the first 9 weeks of this pregnancy (my first) but now things are settling down a bit so maybe they will settle down again eventually for you too? I'd make sure you talk to someone as much as you can about your condition if it's possible.. Hope you're okay :)

I was suffering from panic attacks as well. I haven't had one since December, thank goodness. Those were the worst. It's reassuring to hear that someone else has gone through this and is doing better now. I hope it settles down in a few weeks. I was seeing a counselor for a while but her rates were a little too steep for me so I stopped about a month ago. Maybe I'll look into seeing someone at the office where I take my son for his ADHD as they are more in my price range.

I have not been diagnosed, but also suffer from anxiety and relatively frequent panic attacks. First trimester definitely amplified the feelings of anxiety for me (last pregnancy and this one). I've been reasoning about it like this: the reason you feel anxious is that historically, your ancestors needed to be super aware of their surroundings, especially when they were pregnant. Your body is going to make you feel hyper-attention to everything, and it may be easier for you to go into that fight-or-flight mode. BUT, this is just horomones (heck, our regular anxiety is also probably just horomones) that are telling your body to do something (be hyper-safe) that you don't actually need to do. So, I just imagine some organ in me squirting a "freak out now" horomone, and that helps me contextualize the way I'm feeling and reduce my anxiety. Good luck!

I have an NHS therapist I see once a week and my midwife has booked me in to see a consultant to discuss my 'needs' which are largely to do with my anxiety issues.. I think the main thing is that you are supported as much as possible particularly throughout pregnancy and afterwards :)

Yes! I've had GAD since I was 12. I am still shocked, to this day, that I even got pregnant with my son because my anxiety was so bad for about 6 months before conception (had a m/c that caused a huge trigger, both emotionally and hormonally). Anyway, the month he was conceived we only had sex once, and it was on Valentine's day. I had about two weeks of being relatively calm, then was back in full-on anxiety mode. As soon as I took a test my brain was able to somewhat rationalize what was happening, and I felt a bit better, but still had crazy waves of anxiety for the majority of my pregnancy with him. I wasn't ever on any medication--considering using them gave me anxiety! I was truly a hot mess, lol.

I have had anxiety all my life and after having my third child i had pretty bad post postpartum depression and after a year of trying to put up with it I finally got on Cymbalta and was feeling so good and better than ever actually.. then I was surprised with this pregnancy! and had to reduce so much of it and now im on only 20 gms every other day and I am feeling the difference so much!!! I don't know how I am going to put up with things and im terrified of postpartum depression again!! I really want to breastfeed and I know I don't have many options medicine wise then...
sorry I didn't really offer much but It feels good to vent and to know I'm not alone in this

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->