Cord stump & tub bath

OnErth&InHvn

Mom to 4
Reaction score
Im in the US. With my older kids (14, 13 and almost 12), the nurses sponge bathed the baby (they never told me I could) after birth and told me to sponge bathe at home until cord fell off. Then I could tub bathe.

This baby, they encourage parents to bathe the baby. I'm trying to find a clear answer on the subject!

So far I found tub bathing can cause infection, ok but what is the actual number of babies that get infected? I found babies who were tub bathed had better body temps and were more content vs sponge bathed.

Why cant I tub bathe the baby, dry him/her off really well, and watch for signs of infection? Is this another thing in the US that you're not supposed to question, just do it because that's the way it's always been?

D
Im in the US. With my older kids (14, 13 and almost 12), the nurses sponge bathed the baby (they never told me I could) after birth and told me to sponge bathe at home until cord fell off. Then I could tub bathe.

This baby, they encourage parents to bathe the baby. I'm trying to find a clear answer on the subject!

So far I found tub bathing can cause infection, ok but what is the actual number of babies that get infected? I found babies who were tub bathed had better body temps and were more content vs sponge bathed.

Why cant I tub bathe the baby, dry him/her off really well, and watch for signs of infection? Is this another thing in the US that you're not supposed to question, just do it because that's the way it's always been?

I m in Asia and we still do the way it was done fr your older kids, for the risk of infection. The stump fr my kids fell within 10days. I would advise stay old school.

I was never told this with my kids (7 & 5 in the UK), my youngest was actually given a wee bath in hospital and my son was given a bath with his still on. No infection for either of them but honestly I was never even told it was a risk.

That's good! I was gonna say, I'm from Canada, and at the hospital, he got a regular bath, and no one told us anything about infection and we bathed him regularly, not the sponge bath way and all was well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->