Corrie flouting big SIDS guidelines...

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by LankyDoodle, Jun 5, 2011.

1. LankyDoodle

LankyDoodle Well-Known Member

Just watching the omnibus. I'm ignoring the fact hope was a preemie and if born on time would still only be a few weeks old but looks three months...

Hope is in a cot in head to head position, with a bumper round her and a loose diver over her. She's weeks old...

How are SIDS guidelines meant to get through clearly and stick, if they are flouted like this in the media? Makes me so cross.

2. LankyDoodle

LankyDoodle Well-Known Member

Duvet not diver. Sorry, on phone...

3. KayBea

KayBea Mummy to Xanthia Lily

I dont know.. soaps and things make everything wrong..
    Like casualty.. I always thought your waters broke before contractions, and always thought it was a gush of water... But obviously not!! - bit off topic i know but i know what your saying..

X

4. Mrs Doddy

Mrs Doddy 1 pink 1 blue

I saw that and was quite cross :-(

5. Sarah&Ady

Sarah&Ady Weight Watchers Champ!

It is very reckless of them not to address the correct way of LO in a cot. I think it should be pointed out to them...after all I have had 'debates' with people who because they saw it on TV it must be right and ok :dohh:

6. DJ987

DJ987 Well-Known Member

I noticed this too! I think it's very irresponsible of them.

7. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

id hope people woudlnt get parenting tips from just watching soaps (i havent watched corrie the past week, i cant stand the story line) but it is pretty stupid that the baby isnt being put in a cot correctly

8. Lellow

Lellow Déjà poo ... Get it?

Soaps are notorious for saying they ''research storylines first'' then portray it....But more often that not its all so very wrong!!!

The amount of following these soaps have, its imperetive that they should present the facts...

9. DanielleM

DanielleM Well-Known Member

I did see it and thought at the time it was wrong, but at the end of the day it is a soap and I don't copy what people do on there otherwise I would be murdering people and jumping off hospital roofs like John Stape!!! :rofl: Like moomin troll said, people dont get parenting tips off soaps and sids guidelines are always given to new mums by hopitals/mw/hv.

10. pinkie77

pinkie77 Mum of four!

Unfortunately some people do think that cos something is shown on tv then it must be right or ok :(

11. Lianne1986

Lianne1986 Well-Known Member

i dont watch corrie but does anyone watch misbehaving mums to be? they are dtrying to get the mums to give up stuff etc but didnt say owt and aired one of the dads puttin a newborn in the crib on his side? well it looked like tht anyway :shrug:

12. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

That's pretty bad. As we are all on this forum we are all the type of people who read and research and make our own decisions about how best to parent our kids but there are people out there for whom TV is the only access that they actually have to the experience of parenting so they really ought to take more care with how they present things like that.

13. xnewxmummyx

xnewxmummyx Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle

I saw it too and it did cross my mind to think "hmmm i was sure they couldnt use a duvet until 1year old?"

Oh and I was watching EastEnders a few weeks ago and noticed Alfie just scooping the powder up and tipping it in bottle without levelling it off, I couldn't help but laugh to myself...

xx

14. xnewxmummyx

xnewxmummyx Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle

i watch that and saw that part i thought "whats he doing???" lol!! craziness!!

oh and if you noticed on the work top of 1 girls house there was 2tins of different formula and ive always been told not to use 2 diff types at the same time...

xxx

15. Babushka99

Babushka99 Well-Known Member

Which mother would base their parenting on Fiz from Corrie anyway

16. v2007

v2007 Well-Known Member

Saw this on on the omnibus and was a bit :shock:

I would like to think people would know thats not the correct way for a baby to sleep but you never know.

V xxx

17. Char.due.jan

Char.due.jan Mummy to Luke

If people are getting their parenting tips from corrie then I'd be a little worried as to why they're becoming/are a parent :|

ETA: although I did love the Peppa Pig nursery :haha: and another SIDs guideline has been flouted there too, not having baby in the same room.

18. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I haven't watched this show, I'm not in the UK.

But I think sometimes people overestimate how 'knowledgeable' the average person is about SIDS guidelines. Personally, I didn't even know half of the rules, I think looking back I'm quite shocked about the things I did (let him cosleep under my winter comforters, I fell asleep with him in my arms, used a sleep positioner, head first position - which I admit didn't even know until this thread).

I don't think it's meant to be a blatant disregard, but truthfully, many people just don't know.

19. iceylou

iceylou Guest

i agree with u aliss. i knew some of the guidlines but didnt know all of them. if i was watching the soap before i read about sids on here i wouldnt have batted an eye lid on having a duvet in the cot, sleeping positions. i would have thought after the huge backlash eastenders got, that corrie would have researched it alot more in detail.

20. KittyVentura

KittyVentura Autism Mum

It is annoying when they get things wrong (I remember yelling at the TV when watching knocked up when pregnant and realising that based on when she had sex and knowing the pregnancy are dated 2 weeks forward they gave her the wrong dates at her first scan lol)... but if I'm honest... any parent who puts thier child to bed based on what they saw on "Corrie" is a complete and utter muppet!