Corrie flouting big SIDS guidelines...

It is annoying when they get things wrong (I remember yelling at the TV when watching knocked up when pregnant and realising that based on when she had sex and knowing the pregnancy are dated 2 weeks forward they gave her the wrong dates at her first scan lol)... but if I'm honest... any parent who puts thier child to bed based on what they saw on "Corrie" is a complete and utter muppet!

:thumbup: agree

Which mother would base their parenting on Fiz from Corrie anyway

It isn't the fact that they would base their parenting on that; it's because the media in all its forms conveys subtle messages and people pick these up. From girls taking the message that the only way to be beautiful is to be thin, to people seeing things on soaps and taking them to be normal - subtle drip drop effect!

People like us research and know the guidelines; not everyone does, but even those who do are susceptible to picking up messages.

It is sloppy of the producers but to be fair i dont really know anyone who copies parenting off of soaps.

<3

If it's so stupid to take notice of what happens in soaps then why are storylines sometimes used to raise awareness of different illnesses, public campaigns and other issues?

I noticed this too. I also noticed on Eastenders that Alfie made up the milk wrong. He put the powder in then the water!

I noticed it with Corrie, I sat pointing at my TV saying they were doing it all wrong!

With something so important and so simple, you'd have thought they'd have been able to manage that.

Yep i noticed this too when watching Corrie. And i also noticed the baby being put on their side on misbehaving mums to be.

Yep i noticed this too when watching Corrie. And i also noticed the baby being put on their side on misbehaving mums to be.

My sister lays my baby on her back whenever she lays her down as this is what she was told apparently at the hospital when she had her babies 19 months ago - she must have got it wrong though?

I always have to move her onto her back and strip blankets off too as I think my sister also puts too many layers on... I am a cool baby nut lol

yeh i wouldnt bother worrying about what happens on the telly as long as mothers in the real world are doing it properly.I know eastenders took the cot death story seriously and researched it really well,i dont think corrie did this.

If it's so stupid to take notice of what happens in soaps then why are storylines sometimes used to raise awareness of different illnesses, public campaigns and other issues?

The only reason I'm fully aware of the SIDS guidelines is because I went and researched them properly after the Eastenders cot death storyline.

yeah I noticed this too, I must admit Ellie has a bumper and we dont put her foot to foot in the cot, but she just cant move cause of her cast anyway

I do think that soaps should go with the guidelines as so many of us watch them x

You only have to look at product placement which has recently been allowed on UK TV for the first time. Big companies will pay literally hundreds of thousands of pounds to have their products appearing in the background on TV shows. I doubt if many people say 'Oh there's a Nescafe coffee machine, I had better run out and buy one' but the fact is product placement works because we are subliminally influenced all the time by what we see on our screens in ways we are not even aware of. The fact that companies are willing to pay such big money for product placement is testament to that, so maybe people don't consciously copy what they see on soaps but there is no doubt we take it all in, and of you have no other source of information then that is all you are exposed to. For that reason it's very irresponsible

I didn't see corrie but have noticed a few times the stupid way they do bottles on eastenders. RONnie was measuring with a table spoon once!

wow pleased it wasnt only me who noticed it. Actually made me pretty angry, but after losing a baby to SIDS I guess thats 'normal' it was like everything that shouldnt be done was!!

wow pleased it wasnt only me who noticed it. Actually made me pretty angry, but after losing a baby to SIDS I guess thats 'normal' it was like everything that shouldnt be done was!!
yeah cause its close to your heart you will have noticed it so so much more!!! my aunt lost a baby too and she is always saying I put Ellie to bed wrong but like is said she literally cant move!!! hugs for it being close to your heart xx

I noticed that, such a quiet baby too lol. I know it's a soap but come on, never a peep in that moses basket all day long!

Our soaps are so poor after they have babies we mysteriously never see them again, let alone in the wrong position in the cot, but if we did that would upset me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->