Cot Bumper or Cot Wrap?

MrsC10

Mummy
Reaction score
I've been looking at cot bumpers, but can't find any that I really like. The ones I do like are waaaaay to expensive! Lol

I came across cot wraps on my search and wondered if anyone had opted for this rather than the bumper and what they thought about it?

I wouldn't get a cot bumper, they are a suffocation risk when they are teeny and when they are bigger they can use them to climb out. I would wait until baby gets here and then if you do need one get an air wrap one that is mesh. I never had one at all for DS and never needed one. Saves you some money for other cute stuff.

I would only ever use a mesh liner.

https://breathablebaby.com

I'd skip it too. Given the risks, it kind of amazes me that they're even still sold. If you're concerned about baby sticking her arms and legs through the bars when she gets more mobile, try a mesh one.

Neither.
They are associated to increased risk of sids & accidental suffocation and strangulation.
They should be banned imo.

I wouldn't use a bumper but I got an Airwrap for my daughter's cot which she used from 6 months

No bumpers! Baby doesn't need anything but a fitted sheet and a sleeping bag/fitted blankets.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=229987167157257

Just take 2 minutes looking at this poor family's Facebook group and it will make anyone's mind up about bumpers. I wouldn't even use a mesh liner once they're mobile as they could become trapped.

Don't worry guys. I decided not long after posting this back in February to use neither.

I find it all so confusing.. The NHS don't recommend them, yet all of the stores stock them! It's ridiculous. We've opted not to use one, but my brother thinks it's stupid. He used one for his daughter, said he was more worried about the risk of his daughter getting an arm or leg stuck & really hurting herself. I'm more worried about the risk of SIDS :/

My son got his leg stuck in the bars twice I think. He cried pretty loudly and I pulled him free and he was fine, I think he was more upset that he was stuck. I had the breathable one for my son but I didn't use it because the doctors at the hospital said they don't recommend them either because it cuts down on basic airflow which can lead to sids even though if baby was pushed up against it they could breathe. They said it is better, but neither is best. I did set it up before I had him and it was very hard to get it on the crib tightly and the ties came untied easily posing a big strangulation hazard.

I don't think it's rocket science that they still sell them. If they can still make money off them and the gov't hasn't banned them they will continue lining their pockets. It's the same as a documentary that I watched last night, if they can sell women's products for more than they sell the exact same product to men, they will (and they do in regions that don't have gender equality pricing rules).

I also don't understand the bumpers! Why are they still sold? They are a known risk, and yet people still pay up the a$$ for cute ones. Sure they look pretty, but at the end of the day my babys safety comes first before the look of my crib.

PS: Glad the OP decided to go with neither! Good for you :)

They're a waste of money I think my DD got her legs stuck once in 2 years and she wasn't that bothered, won't be getting one this time!

I have an air wrap no chance of my son getting stuck in it as it is on VERY tight and very strong velcro but I will stay it stops him getting him limbs stuck and also from losing him dummy so often when asleep as it cannot fall through the bars!

We got one in our cot bedding set but will not be using it. Too much of a risk after horror stories I have read. We did use one for DS but we were young (18) and uneducated on the dangers.

We had the cot wrap with our first and I tried using it with our second (average size 9 month old) but she's more mischievous than her sister and managed to pull it clean off :wacko: So i'm not convinced they're as safe as they're made out to be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->