Cotbed, swinging cot or moses basket?

caz_hills

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pregnant with my first and currently 15 weeks, 2 days. I'm trying to decide whether we should get a moses basket or swinging cot for the first few months before baby is in a proper cot.

Any advice would be greatly received!!!

Thanks everyone. x

:thumbup:

We've inherited a swinging crib, which my hubby was in as a baby, and we've bought a cotbed for when the baby moves. My sister had a Moses basket for her boy. He slept really well in that but once they put him in the cot, he was an awful sleeper. We're hoping that the similarities between the crib & cotbed will help with the transition.

we have decided on a moses basket and then a cot bed for when bubs is too big for the moses basket.

a moses basket, i borrowed one of a friend with my last one but will be using a proper cotbed for this one as i think they are a waste of money.

Just wondering ladies,is it worth getting the swinging cot and putting the Moses basket inside at night? I wantedto get both as all my family had trouble with getting babies to settled in a Moses basket but I like they can be wherever u are xx

Iv gone swinging crib and cot bed, my last two children wouldnt settle in a moses basket, so i have also gone for a carrycot on the pram so the baby has some where to sleep downstairs through the day too.

re putting moses basket in crib, im not sure it will fit think it may be a bit of a squeeze, if your going to do that just have a cot in your room and put baby in that in moses basket or get a stand for the moses basket for baby to sleep in overnight ?

I would advise against anything swinging as baby will get used to the movement and always expect it. Later on there could be issues with baby settling themselves in a cot and I think that is an important skill for them to develop.
Personally, I think anyone who buys anything swinging is making a rod for their own back but that is my opinion.
I plan on using a moses basket and then straight into a cot.

We've got a crib for upstairs and will have a moses basket for daytime downstairs.

I don't see a problem with the swinging crib, I would've loved one with my first, so I bought one this time round. In the early days you do what you can for a few hours kip and if that's by using a swinging crib then great! :thumbup:

I would advise against anything swinging as baby will get used to the movement and always expect it. Later on there could be issues with baby settling themselves in a cot and I think that is an important skill for them to develop.
Personally, I think anyone who buys anything swinging is making a rod for their own back but that is my opinion.
I plan on using a moses basket and then straight into a cot.

I think that Baby will sleep or it won't. I don't feel I'm making a rod for my own back by having a swinging cot. It has already been used by other family members (4 children, who certainly don't have sleeping problems) and as I said in my previous post, my sister used a Moses basket, her boy slept very well but when she transferred him to the cot he was a terrible sleeper until he moved into a bed.

We've gone for a moses basket - reasons were really because 1) they're cheaper than a crib, the baby's only going to be in it for a short time and 2) doesn't take up as much space as a crib, we're in a flat so a bit limited on space.

Question for the ladies who've used them--how does a swinging crib compare with a moses basket on size? We're only living in a one bed flat now and don't have plans to move till after the baby comes, and we'd be stretched to fit a full-sized cot in our room. I was thinking we might get some extra use out of a swinging crib, but considering how much more expensive they are compared to moses baskets I'm not sure if it's worth it. :shrug:

We'll have a moses basket and then a cot bed :)

We're using a swinging crib and then a cotbed once the baby is big enough.
The crib has been in my family for over 20 years, was used for me, my 3 siblings and a few cousins. We all slept very well in it, never had any problems when transferring to a cot & we all still love our beds! :D

We've opted for a moses basket on a rocking stand, much more portable.

Question for the ladies who've used them--how does a swinging crib compare with a moses basket on size? We're only living in a one bed flat now and don't have plans to move till after the baby comes, and we'd be stretched to fit a full-sized cot in our room. I was thinking we might get some extra use out of a swinging crib, but considering how much more expensive they are compared to moses baskets I'm not sure if it's worth it. :shrug:

We have gone for the swinging crib for the same reasons you have said. We would be pushed to fit a cot in our room and our daughters room is not big enough to share.

The cribs are quite a bit bigger than a moses basket. my daughter only fitted in her basket for 8 weeks and she was so long.

moses basket and cradles are only meant for 1st six weeks. really just there as an easy option next to your bed and can move around the house.
ill be using my moses basket but ill be putting baby in cot when he/she gets too big.
x

The biggest problem for a swinging crib would be the cost...the ones I've seen cost near as much as a cot. I could pick up a moses basket for around £30 but they do look smaller. Plenty of time to think this one through!

we had a moses basket and will this time too and a cotbed after that, my little girl hated moses basket though so ended up in her own cot at 8 weeks!!
hoping we can keep this one in the basket a little longer
Lou
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back