Could someone please help with understanding sperm analysis results?

Layla_b1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping somebody familiar with sperm analysis could help shed some light on what seems like a really confusing (and potentially worrying) sperm analysis my husband just received. (we are only trying a few months but I was keen to get tested as I had an eating disorder for many years and was really worried it had affected my fertility).

They told us over the phone his results were "all fine" with no elaboration, so we didn't ask further questions. When we got the report and I started to go through it though, I'm not too sure!

A) His sperm count is 416.2 million. That seem incredibly high (abnormally high)....there's a condition called polyzoospermia where there are too many sperm for them to move forward successfully (although his progressive motility is 55% so I'm not sure). It's just way above any range I've seen that I'm wondering if it was calculated wrong?

B) his morphology is only 4%. I know under the new strict criteria that 4+ is considered normal but surely it's still really really low and would have warranted more than a comment saying it's "fine?" Especially since under 4 is, from what I can tell from my research, grounds for going forward with IVF?

So there's what seems to be an abnormally high spern count but also with a high number of abnormal sperm, or so I think.

I am going to email the clinic too but would be so grateful if anyone could help. Thanks so so much and good luck to you all x

Sorry just to clarify, the studies I've read on polyzoospermia classify it as being a count of over 250 million so we are well over that x

Yes the issue with too high of a sperm count is the over crowding makes it more difficult for the healthy sperm to reach the egg, I would try IUI because the sperm washing they do before the IUI would get rid of the non progressive and abnormal sperm leaving only the healthy sperm and would lower the total count so there is less crowding.

Hi Layla,
I suggest you repeat the test. Sometimes they make mistakes. Believe me on this. I have seen it happen very often with friends.
Of course you should contact them and ask for clarification but also try the test in another clinic.
Hope everything will be fine for you soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->