council houses and waiting times

My council doesnt show you online at all and wont even tell you on the phone grrr

Thats so strange! Mine gives you info on each property like this:

Capture.jpg

Then it changes during the week as and when other people bid.

Wish mine did that then i would know where we stand when we bid

Ours is online too. I don't pay much attention to the bids though, we were tenth on the flat we got!

Steph our site was really similar but wouldn't tell you how your position would be unless you bidded, otherwise it had the same 'look' as the site in your area. May have changed now as our log in was inactivated when we got this place so I could view places but not bid and when I tried to log in recently it wouldn't let me so I think my account got deleted xx

Mine was pretty similar would tell you how many bids it's had etc.. You wouldn't find out what position you was though until the bidding closed x

It does make it easier because you can bid more strategically. No point bidding on a house when you're no. 50, you can use your 3 bids to give you the best chance possible.

Position doesn't mean everything though, I was no. 5 in line for my house x

You only get three bids? Is that per week? We have unlimited bids but the area I am bidding for rarely has houses...maybe one three bed a fortnight if that!

There are loads of houses every thursday when tbey get advertised just in places i dont wanna live :haha: There was nothing last thursday so hoping there will be one to bid on this thursdah

I'm with South Northants Council, there are two councils in Northampton. One for the town and this one, which is all the surrounding villages.

I was in a 2 bed house, with my mum and dad, Jonny, and my sister and her BF were living there too. We were both pregnant.

We don't have points though so was just a case of waiting. My HV wrote a letter to the council for us, and as soon as they got that I was sent an aoplication from for the highest band, when I went to give it in they told me there was a house i could have. We got the keys the following week.

I'm very lucky really, my sister has been on the same list since before our babies were born so 5+ years ago and Still isn't housed, she privately rents now.

I guess I got lucky with mine but am also aware how much things have changed. .. I waited 6 months for my first flat as a childless couple, however once I was pregnant it became obvious the council would be no help and I exchanged twice to get my 3 bed house. Been here 12 years and no intention of moving again! Want to buy!

I got offered one a month ago after a year on the waiting list. At the time we just lost my dad and mum didn't want to be left alone so we didn't take it. I really regret it now because no matter what we do it is never enough for my mum, i love her to bits but you can't do right for doing wrong. We pay 200 a month which is a lot considering she gets everything paid for her through disability, we do the majority of the housework and we both work during the day/night. We can't watch what we want on TV when we get home, she gets first pck no matter what and we have to ask to record things in case it clashes with her programmes. She can be her own worst enemy, I don't want her to live alone, although she wil always have visiotrs daily, my neice comes down after school and doesnt leave till bed time (granny girl) and my brother and sister both live in the same area. We planned to stay until i finish my degree and get a mortgage so long term but now we think we will just have to go council, things are normally okay, we don't argue much but when she is in a mood she openly says we have to leave the house for the day and stay away from her. She can snap so badly sometimes. scream at you just for coming in from work and sitting down because it's lazy. And i found out she told my brother she doesn't get dig money from us which is a plain faced lie so it's like she wants everyone to think i'm a freeloader or something which is not true. I had to pay her the second i got a job which is fair but the price kept going up and up to the point e were better off moving out which we did private let. We then agreed we could move back and stay till we can afford a mortgage and have a fixed rent which was originally 30 a week (due to her rent getting paid, council tac mostly gets paid etc that was what was needed) but that went up to 40 and then 50 and thats in the space of 8 months. She has been hinting I should pay for dads funeral, i do have a bit of money in the bank (which she found out by accidently reading my bank statement) which is just enough to get by in college so I know this will sound selfish but i need to think of my future for a change. I wanted to go to uni after school but mum wanted me to work so I could help out financially at home. Now i'm in a job where the money isn't fab, dont particularly enjoy it etc and just wish i had done this years ago. I know i do sound selfish but If i give her all my savings then i can't do college again and then that is another year struggling and i can't keep doing it. She will always have a reason for me not to go to uni, next year it will be something else like maybe her benefits will get cutor something. I love her to bits but the second i started getting money working something changed like she started making up things i needed to pay, she said she got the movie channel which is an extra 20 a month i would need to pay but I saw the letter and it said its free for 6 months, she has said the bedroom tax was going to put her rent up 100 a month so we would have to pay it to her to pay to council. My friend works in council office and she said that was bullshit full stop. I just feel like no one cares where we end up in the future, like no one is on our side. If we get offered another house i know she will say don't take it and i don't htink i could leave mum when she doesn't want me too, im just so confused, sorry for hijacking your thread I just feel so rotten right now :cry:

Aww kiki thats really shit :( :( she sounds so controlling. Sorry but its plain selfish to stop you going to uni and make you pay for all the extras in her life. So wrong. I would defo accept a council house if you get offrred anothrt one. Like you said your mum will have plenty of help anyway. Think of yourself for a change.

Aww kiki thats really shit :( :( she sounds so controlling. Sorry but its plain selfish to stop you going to uni and make you pay for all the extras in her life. So wrong. I would defo accept a council house if you get offrred anothrt one. Like you said your mum will have plenty of help anyway. Think of yourself for a change.

Thanks always think im the selfish one because my brother always sides with mum, we dont argue that much and when we do it's more she shouts and i leave the room. I brought it up today and she said "do what you want" and i asked if she wants us to leave and she wouldn't say anything, but she said before we left so if you leave i have a 3 bedroom to myself and would have to move the second you leave" .. i really want to own a house, somewhere that is our own, my OH was planning on going to college but he has very kindly and i love him so much for this, has said he will just try get an apprenticeship while he continues working in his job just now so we have one working income coming in just in case we do end up having to get a council house/and so we can pay mum digs still. I can't believe he has been so selfless to do that for me :cloud9: but he knew uni was always a dream of mine and he wants me to go and do it , he is so sweet can't stop thanking him. Since mum has found out one will stil be working she has seemed to cheer up a bit. I brought up, because her and my brother kept going on about most 20 year olds move out, i said actually a lot of my friends still live at home, and some dont pay anything and some of my friends even have a flat their parents pay for. They were like throwing that in my face etc but if they are throwing in my face that some 20 year olds live away then why shouldn't I? They act like it is so wierd but thats because where im from, its normal to get pregnant at 16 and get council so in that respect yeah but why move out and struggle to then get a mrotgage later when we could do it easier with a bit of help. It's not like we are mooching of her, we pay our way, buy our food, we actually paid double what we normally do this week because we had extra money to spare. Wha really bugs me is I feel like im thoughtful, I never forget a birthday in my family. For mums i got her a kindle, cake, ballons etc and surprised her, my brother and sister got her nothing. For my brothers birthday i got him aftershave and he forgot about mine. I don't give to recieve but why do i put so much effort to make them happy when they had me in tears all night last night resulting in me having a head ache all today. My family is so dysfunctional it is unbelievable, if i typed EVERYTHING you would think we belong in an institution. It's the fact my brother threw the fact i got bullied at work in my face, i was bullied for 2 years by management, to the point where i was losing my hair from stress, my blood pressure was very high etc. I quit after they did something unforgiveable without a job to go into but i went to 5 interviews and got offered 4/5 and took 2. But one is only temp until i go back to college/uni. So he threw in my face that if i had stayed and put up with it i would have a full time permannt job still and could pay mum more money. Whhy would my own family want me to go through that misery for the sake of money. My mum disagreed with him on that because she saw me come home and cry about it, she saw when clumps of my hair fell out so she supported me on that. I just want the perfect family life, mortgage, marriage then kids. I would be the first in my whole family to do it that way around. I just hope my OH gets the apprenticeship off shore he applied for. If he gets that we could be in a place to afford a mortgage in 2 years which isn't that long in the grand scheme. If he gets that we could have the typical family life i have dreamed off :blush:

I have absolutely no experiance but where I live alot of people bought there council houses off the council so theres very little left. Waiting lists are horrendous and sometimes they have to put the homeless up in hotels as theres nowhere.
My flat is an ex council flat, the prvious owner bought it off the council in 2006 for £13 ,000 and in 2012 I bought it off them for £117,000. Could not believe how much they made!!

There is a huge shortage of flats in the new forest area and 3bed go right away. I was so so so lucky to get my 3 bed on a private estate sods lae neighbours from hell moved in. They were not even council. Horrific time of my life and so sad I had to give up my home :(

The owner of our house bought it off the council for 52000 in 2003 and we bought it off him for 109000 last year

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->