Council Housing

A

AppleBlossom

How does it work? I was just looking at some houses and the cheapest is £73 a week for a 1 bedroomed flat in a block in the scummiest area of the wirral *shrug* they are all one bedroomed and only one of them has a lift. There's a 4 bed house but that's for a family with 2-4 kids

Im not sure how it works in wirral but in bolton its a bit different you express intrest on a house in the area you want to stay and it first come first serve, but we can only go for a 2 bed house, we have a 2 bed flat at the mo with the council so we prob stay here. rent is 69 a week xx

Your best bet is to contact the council and see how it works x

I worked out that if I go on income support I would get around £113 a week (i think) which would probably get me a decent house. I only need as its just me and grace. all the places i've seen on the internet are mainly for couples, singles or the elderly

i woldnt search for private, as the benifits wont pay a bond for you, youll have to get that your self, and that can be hard, espeacailly if its an estate agent then they want like £1000 up front, even if you are gonna claim housing for it. go and speak to the council, you wont have to pay a bond on a council house, and they will advise on there way of searching for council housing, near me its a biding system you register and you get pionts for your circumstances such as you will get pionts because you have grace, and you will get pionts because your soon to be homeless explain it to them and follow the process it shouldnt take to long, near me i went for my 1st 2 bed flat when i was 18 and i had no kids, and i just kept bidding on everything that was suitable and in a decent area, and with in 4 weeks i was offered the flat, good luck hun. xx

thanks, i'm hoping i can afford to stay here, my landlords pretty reasonable. fingers crossed

hope it works out for you, you should be entitled for a council one, prob be best to check your options just in case x

Bexy, are you down on the council waiting list?

What happens is you go on the list (it's council AND housing association all rolled into one) and when a property comes up which you are interested in, you apply for it.

Saying that though, I've been on the list for 11 years this July and been offered absolutely nothing lol! (So been in same private house for all that time).

Don';t forget, if you go it alone, you'll be entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit, so if it's a council/HA property and you're not working, you'll get all of that paid for you.

What area are you looking to live? xx

I'm in a 2 bed flat in Heswall at the minute and I'd like to stay in it and if not stay in Heswall

I'm in a 2 bed flat in Heswall at the minute and I'd like to stay in it and if not stay in Heswall

Is that council or private?

How are you paying the rent now?

Why can't you stay in that flat? If you OK it with your landlord and you live on your own, you can apply for HB and CTB and get the lot paid for you!

Saves the hassle of having to wait, look and move hun xx

It's private. At the minute my ex pays for it but he's paid the last installment today. We told the landlord we were moving out end of feb

It's private. At the minute my ex pays for it but he's paid the last installment today. We told the landlord we were moving out end of feb

Well can't you have a word with your LL and tell him you want to stay on, on your own with the baby and would it be a problem because you will be claiming HB?

If LL says no it's not a problem, there's nowt stopping you! You only need to ring the job centre and get a HB pack sent out, fill it in and take it back to the job centre, then just wait to hear back from them xx

I fyuo get a private rent you and get Housing Allowance to pay for it. Where Iam its up to £650 a month for a 2 bed provided you earn less than £150 a week - or have that to live on, cent remember which.

That is a lot for a 1 bed flat! We are £64 a week for a 2 bed!

where i am it's a bidding system.
you apply andyou are put in a band. a b c or d. a most neediest d opposite end of scale.
each fortnighthouses are 'released' in papers and on council website and you can choose up to 3. you just literally tick what you want and that is classed as 'bidding' house goes to most neediest band who been on list the longest. so ifyou are band d what chance have you got?! of course good areas are gona get many many 'bids' so there will of course be somebody higher than you, you never upgrade band nomatter how long you been on the list.

you can sometimes get housing bennefit and the council will have a list of landlords willing to accept housing bennefit people, if rent is under your bennefit apparntly you can keep the rest,if rentover you have to put the extra towards.

xXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->