crappy government

Maggie sold all our council houses instead! wonder why we have 10 year waiting lists for a house, eh?

And on the flip side she helped alot of people onto the property ladder that may well have not been there now if it wasn't for her. Also there are other ways and means of getting social housing such as housing associations

I'd be interested in knowing how many of you that are against the HIP and SSG will claim for it anyway[/B]. :coffee:

I agree we live in a country where people who are struggling to pay for baby things shouldn't have to struggle, and yes people managed without it. BUT the main reason people managed without it before is becasue they learnt to get by! Instead, we have become a society who relys on paying for things via credit or hand outs of cash benefits from the government.

My parents NEVER had any kind of hands out from the government, nor did they have any kind of debt other than a mortgage.....and they got by on just my dads wage and bought up 4 children. It took my mum and dad 10years to fully carpet their house (they had plain floor boards as previous owners ripped out the carpets), and they sacrificed that so they could afford to buy things for their children! This was in the 70's when too, things where hard and resessions where too taking place.

I'm neither for or against the HIP and SSG, whilst its being given out and i'm eligable for it, i will calim for the free cash - just like anyone else would. Once it gets cut and i'm not eligable for it, then i change my lifestyle to make up for the cash i'm not getting, if that means missing a night out with the girls every week then thats fine! My unborn child getting what they need is by far more important.

Whilst i no we don't all live in an ideal world of planning for children, but before my husdand and i decided to try for a baby, we discussed the cash side of it and getting by, and we both decided if you look at it like that we will never afford to have a baby.....we will learn to get by and sacrifice others things, and as soon as we found out i was expecting we did just that! We wasn't even aware of any government hand outs at this stage.

I think a lot of it is down to the people of the country rather than the government.

I plan to spend any money I get on my baby. If the baby doesn't need anything yet, then it will be kept in an account where it will be there to be used for what it's given. That's the way I think it should be.

i agree no child should go without HOWEVER the government didn't tell people to go have babies ......

YOU have a child YOU take responsibility

if I go out next week and get a dog, i don't expect the government to pay for it, so why should the government pay for my child?

I asked in a earlier post but funny enough noone answered so i'll try again lol

I would LOVE to know what areas people deem as 'ok' to have cuts in and save as much as cutting the CTF would save? .... guess this is aimed at those so dead against the CTF being stopped,

Like I said, why not scrap spending on trident? Why spend millions on replacing submarines, while axing university placements? Where is the justice in that? I'm not against the CTF being stopped, but I do think they could have made better cuts.

To the people who feel that people managed without the HIP and SSGs years ago, the point is, we live in a country where people who are struggling to pay for baby things shouldn't have to struggle. No child should have to go without.

Perhaps the grants should be means tested, and a system set up to make sure they are spent on the right things, but I do not think they should be scrapped because some people really do need them. I don't care if people years ago managed to get by somehow, we live in a completely different economic climate now. We don't live in a country who will let a child suffer, just because their mother was too young and can't support them and "should have used to use a condom with the pill" (who says everybody can use the pill, huh??), and to me, that's something to be proud of. Don't like it, move out of the country maybe?

I'd be interested in knowing how many of you that are against the HIP and SSG will claim for it anyway. :coffee:

:dohh:

I'm sorry you have a problem with supporting young mothers. Hope you like all those shiny new submarines they're going to buy instead! :dohh:

Oh, and I noticed you didn't answer my question. Are you claiming the HIP and SSG? Because I believe if you believe it's wrong to hand those out, then you shouldn't be claiming for them.

I have a problem with your comments re: contraception. A) We'd moved on from that topic B) There are far more methods of contraception than just the pill - that for the record I cannot take the pill myself!

I have a problem with supporting young mothers - yes I do. If you cannot afford children, then don't have them. (As I described previously - my thoughts on this do not include families that have an unexpected change of circumstances).

No I won't be applying for the SSG becuase I wouldn't be entitled to it.
Yes I will be applying for the HIP grant, as I have worked since the age of 16 as well as put myself through college & university - I do not have rich parents. They struggled to bring up four children without the help of the state & I had to pay my own university fees.

I have paid my taxes & if I am entitled to that money then I would be a fool to turn it down, I'm not rolling in money - that £190 will be useful. Doesn't mean I agree with it. It's a complete waste and if it didn't exist I wouldn't be on here moaning about how hard done by I am.

Why should I turn it down? When the devious little tart that ruined by brother's life gets a flat and £100's every month for sitting on her backside (and yes he should have put a condom on the end of it!!) with the rest of her family - that also sit on their backside's all day!

Sorry, but when I see this first hand, you will never, ever be able to persuade me into thinking that giving out money for getting pregnant is a good thing!

im really not fussed about the child trust fund as i didnt use mine anyway they opened one for him but i have a private savings account for him, but i was relying on the maternity grant as as a mommy on benefits it is hard been able to afford the big things, maybe they should have changed it to vouchers as i know some people just waste it on everything but the baby but £100? not much help for people like me really.

Some people DO need help. Some people DON'T need help but get it anyway. Some people are arguing about something that hasn't even been announced yet.

On the subject of CTF and not benfits, it doesn't benefit anyone. Least of all an 18 year old who's probably going to spend it on booze :)

Caitlyn will get her CTF (£1000) when she is 18. We've set up a different account that she won't know about until I see fit.

we won't be getting the SSG, as for HIP, I doubt we will get that either, as someone else pointed out a apple costs the same as a packet of crisps, I can afford crisps therefore i can afford to buy an apple and give my baby what it needs

maybe I am 'stupid' for not taking it when they hand it out but i don't see it as stupid, instead I see it as standing up for what I believe is right, I am not a sheep so i am not gonna 'follow' others 'just because'

Some people DO need help. Some people DON'T need help but get it anyway. Some people are arguing about something that hasn't even been announced yet.

On the subject of CTF and not benfits, it doesn't benefit anyone. Least of all an 18 year old who's probably going to spend it on booze :)

Caitlyn will get her CTF (£1000) when she is 18. We've set up a different account that she won't know about until I see fit.

You are right £250 in 18 years time?!! What will they be able to do with that? Probably won't even be enough to fill a car with petrol by then.

I just can't understand how that could ever have been seen as good use of the country's money.

to save the same amount that a CTF would be worth in 18 years time (if nothing else is paid in but the £500) you would have to save £1.39 a week, thats a magazine a week, one 6 pack of crisps a week, walking to the local shop for that pint of milk instead of starting the car, getting off the bus a couple stops earlier :shrug:

I asked in a earlier post but funny enough noone answered so i'll try again lol

I would LOVE to know what areas people deem as 'ok' to have cuts in and save as much as cutting the CTF would save? .... guess this is aimed at those so dead against the CTF being stopped,

Like I said, why not scrap spending on trident? Why spend millions on replacing submarines, while axing university placements? Where is the justice in that? I'm not against the CTF being stopped, but I do think they could have made better cuts.

To the people who feel that people managed without the HIP and SSGs years ago, the point is, we live in a country where people who are struggling to pay for baby things shouldn't have to struggle. No child should have to go without.

Perhaps the grants should be means tested, and a system set up to make sure they are spent on the right things, but I do not think they should be scrapped because some people really do need them. I don't care if people years ago managed to get by somehow, we live in a completely different economic climate now. We don't live in a country who will let a child suffer, just because their mother was too young and can't support them and "should have used to use a condom with the pill" (who says everybody can use the pill, huh??), and to me, that's something to be proud of. Don't like it, move out of the country maybe?

I'd be interested in knowing how many of you that are against the HIP and SSG will claim for it anyway. :coffee:

:dohh:

I'm sorry you have a problem with supporting young mothers. Hope you like all those shiny new submarines they're going to buy instead! :dohh:

Oh, and I noticed you didn't answer my question. Are you claiming the HIP and SSG? Because I believe if you believe it's wrong to hand those out, then you shouldn't be claiming for them.

I have a problem with your comments re: contraception. A) We'd moved on from that topic B) There are far more methods of contraception than just the pill - that for the record I cannot take the pill myself!

I have a problem with supporting young mothers - yes I do. If you cannot afford children, then don't have them. (As I described previously - my thoughts on this do not include families that have an unexpected change of circumstances).

No I won't be applying for the SSG becuase I wouldn't be entitled to it.
Yes I will be applying for the HIP grant, as I have worked since the age of 16 as well as put myself through college & university - I do not have rich parents. They struggled to bring up four children without the help of the state & I had to pay my own university fees.

I have paid my taxes & if I am entitled to that money then I would be a fool to turn it down, I'm not rolling in money - that £190 will be useful. Doesn't mean I agree with it. It's a complete waste and if it didn't exist I wouldn't be on here moaning about how hard done by I am.

Why should I turn it down? When the devious little tart that ruined by brother's life gets a flat and £100's every month for sitting on her backside (and yes he should have put a condom on the end of it!!) with the rest of her family - that also sit on their backside's all day!

Sorry, but when I see this first hand, you will never, ever be able to persuade me into thinking that giving out money for getting pregnant is a good thing!

I'm sorry, but I think you have extreme double standards. People who desperately need the HIP grant shouldn't get it, but it would be useful to you, and you paid your taxes, and blah blah blah so you should claim it? Why not forgo claiming it and save the government a bit of money, hey? I'm definitely against people like you claiming it if in the same breath you condemn people that need it.

So you've seen someone who sits on their ass while claiming, that doesn't mean that people who really really NEED it shouldn't get it. It should be means tested, and there should be strict guidelines on what it's spent on, but that doesn't mean that you should be out in the cold if you suddenly find yourself in the position of expecting a child with no money. I'm truly appalled that you have the gall to claim it at all when you would expect someone in that position to go without.

Imagine if the taxpayers only cared about what directly effected them? There would be no money for benefeits ... we look after one another as a country, we all help out where we can so that those who need it do :shrug:

SSG should stay and HIP should go IMO

Not that this is happening so i dont know why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist :confused:

out of interested i would LOVE to know what areas people deem 'ok' to make cuts in? i am guessing it is a case of 'as long as it don't effect me then i don't give a damn

Yep, me. If something doesn't directly affect me, i don't care about it.

This statement sums up why this country is in the Sh*t to me :growlmad:

wow, i cannot believe someone would actually own up to having that kind of attitude!

i'm so shocked i am actually laughing! oh my goodness!

as much as it pains me to say this! I think we should respect the government, they are doing a very difficult job in very difficult times, They have to look at the 'bigger' picture which many of us fail to do, we refuse to look past the end of our noses, but we have to, if we care for our children we can't look at the here and now, we have to look to their future!

also much respect to them, they all took a pay cut the day they came into power, they are cutting back on their own expenditures as well (expenses/first class travel tickets etc) They are leading by example which in my opinion is what we need from a government

yeah i agree with polo princess.. i may be a mother whos on benefits now but that doesnt mean i think i should get every penny, as i said the child trust fund has no affect on me as i wont be using it, the health in pregnancy grant is a stupid thing anyway as how many will actually spend it on what it is for? but the maternty grant does make a big difference to women who will struggle with having the money for big items e.g bedroom furniture...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->