crappy government

Pregnant debates are always doomed :rofl: Apparently i did not read that bit...i have such a bad habit of skim reading :dohh:

Also, in regards to SS, I too would rather that the Gov struck up some sort of deal with tesco, mothercare, asda, babies r us, boots.. somewhere that would give them a discount and give them vouchers only redeemable for baby/mum to be stuff. People wouldnt be able to abuse it and spend it on nonessential baby stuff and the gov would get more bang for the tax payers buck.

I agree, just plonking £500 in someone's bank 'to spend on baby' is ridiculas IMO.

god knows how people managed 10 years ago without these things ...... oh hang on, they did:dohh:

my parents had little money when i was born and even less as i was growing up, people just have to learn to budget properly and plan better etc, *real* life isn't easy, they government have given people an easier time ..... when they could afford it, but we can't now, so time to take some responsibility for ourselves and the families we make

I quote as I read so often continue the debate after a mod has said stop :blush: (sorry wobbs :()

god knows how people managed 10 years ago without these things ...... oh hang on, they did:dohh:

my parents had little money when i was born and even less as i was growing up, people just have to learn to budget properly and plan better etc, *real* life isn't easy, they government have given people an easier time ..... when they could afford it, but we can't now, so time to take some responsibility for ourselves and the families we make

meh, the economy has changed. I dont think 'people managed before' is a particularly good arguement.

I'm a bit behind on what's is and isn't being scrapped. What about the £190 you can claim after 25wks of pregnancy?

But it's true, people did manage before and they would still manage now if they had to x

The HIP grant stays unfortunately.

i am pretty certain that people had it worse than now during the war and post war years, they managed then, we can manage now :shrug:

I agree with Blah, instead of handing £500 over to someone how about make deals with places like Mothercare, Argos, Mama's and papas.... that way these people would still get help with buying baby things but they couldn't go and spend it on a holiday or clothes

yes but it was a totally different situation. people were thankful to be alive :shock:

not to cause a ruckus but Child Trust funds were always a rubbish idea anyway.

I have never put my own money into it as no matter what your child grew into or how mature/immature they were at 18 they could get however many hundreds/thousands us hard working parents had put into it and probably squander it.

I was mature at 18 but even i would of wasted it on something back when i was that age.

At the end of the day labour got this country into a right friggin mess and if it carried on we would eventually be in real trouble-think Greece.

Someone had to sort it all out and a continuation of what was happening wouldnt work.

Maybe this new system will encourage thoses living on huge handout that they actually need to get out there and help themselves.

I hate when people blame labour for a GLOBAL RECESSION. It's just ignorance.

global recession???-no i meant just the UK. I wasnt saying labour had anything to do with greece, I'm just saying that could of happened-still could to us as a country

Blah means that the last recession was global, not just in UK so it wasn't Labour's fault...

I agree! people need to learn to live with in their means rather than moaning about not getting free money when they have over spent on non essentials. Over the last 18+ months I have HAD to learn to live without spending my money on crap because I have a child, a house and a husband to take care of. Granted it's not my money because DH earns it but I am the one who manages our finances, yes I claim CTC (I know this isn't about CTC etc but you will get my point) and yes it helps us live week to week but if that was taken away do you know what I and millions of others would do? We would cope because we have to! same as if HIP and SSMG was cut people would cope even those on low incomes

and i never said it was, that's why i dont get the bite back! At the end of the day things in this country are pretty shocking and sticking with labour nothing would of changed!
Besides it's about time someone else had a go!

will i get my hip grant then im due 28th septmeber but i will b 25 weeks in june :wacko: im not entitled 2 the 500 because i work but is entiltled 2 190 xx

No extra help for us then!! :growlmad:

I knew that Cameron was gonna be a c**t :growlmad:

Wonder what will go next...HIP grant no doubt!

and hes going to tax the money we put in to our childrens trust funds!

He's doing what? How and why? I must have missed this on the news, typical that the first people he goes after are babies with no vote.

great thread :thumbup:

I would be happy for them to scrap the HIP grant, I don't need it but will claim it- if someone offers me money I'm not going to say no. I'm hardly a millionare. We were always healthy and looked after as children and my parents had a very small income, we got by. TBH we grow our own veg anyway, and exercise etc. I'll probably use it to pay off some of my M&P bill- for the nursery furniture we bought for our mansion:haha: lol, not really, we got M&P 'cos we liked it and we can afford it- with our own money, not government hand outs. If we could not afford it- i.e. were relient on government hand outs, we wouldn've bought cheaper items and second hand.

My sister was a pregnant teenager, is now a single working mum who relies on help- I'm not sure how long ago these grants were introduced, but I don't remember her getting £500 when pregnant (I know, I know, thats not the one we're discussing, but just to add my bit:winkwink:). She bought everything second hand and scraped by on very little- I was v.proud of her:thumbup:

My husband and I are in a position (through our own hard work- not family money or anything like that) where we don't need the extra money and I accept that this is not so for everyone. However, babies can be provided for on a low income, and have been for many years on what people are able to save for themselves. As mentioned previously, in this country we are a lot better off than many other areas of the world- think yourselves lucky we have free health care etc. When you make a commitment to having a child, be that child planned or unplannes- you keep the pregnancy, you have decided to have a child- you must know you're going to have to tighten the belt a bit and should change your lifestyle accordingly. I know we've had to.

As for the child trust fund :shrug: I plan on saving for my child anyway, I don't like investment accounts, and if you never had it in the first place, what's there to miss:shrug:

As mentioned by lots of pp, the new government were always gonna get some stick, the country's in a mess. They need to sort it out, and we've just got to suck it up. There's no point getting in a tizz about it:flower:, but yes, I voted conservative, and I'd do it again:winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->