Cravings... Strange ones!!!

Erinsmummy

Pregnant with no6
Reaction score
So what r ur strange cravings? Non edible?

When I was preg with my daughter who is 3 now, I craved shake n vac!! U know the carpet powder!!! I loved the smell of it, the feel of it... It made my mouth water! I did eat a tiny bit at one point.... I have the same craving this time, although I havnt eaten any! Also last time I wanted to eat soap aswel haha.

So anyone else got anything odd they wanna share?

its called pica I think. basically, deficiency of some kind which makes you crave non edible things. you need to talk to your doc about it so they can check out what you are deficient in and add that to your prenatals. Please let your doc know.

with my first son i craved bricks and the dust/sut out of the chimney i used to even dream about eating it and chewing on the bricks lmaooo the midwife told me i was lacking on something lol

For all three of my previous pregnancies I craved mothballs.
For the last one I also craved chalk. Like an insane amount. I actually snuck into the kids' rooms a couple of times and nibbled bits of their drawing chalk.

Nothing weird so far for this pregnancy but there's still time yet I suppose.

Soap! Last time I brushed my teeth with it - I am trying really hard not to this time. It smells so good that I just want to taste it.

Oh my gosh this is crazy! I haven't even had any normal cravings and didn't last two times either, I wish I did though!

With my daughter towards the end, I had to stop myself licking the dirt off brushed potatoes. Yuck.

bath sponges, mmmm in all of my pregnancies haha, LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of the new sponges and like to suck water through them.....i know weird :)

its called pica I think. basically, deficiency of some kind which makes you crave non edible things. you need to talk to your doc about it so they can check out what you are deficient in and add that to your prenatals. Please let your doc know.
my midwife already knows and she didn't say anything! She thought it was funny!

That's so bad actually! She definitely should know better! Yes, it's a somewhat rare condition called pica and is almost always related to being deficient in some vitamin or mineral (often with iron deficiency anemia). You can get it whether you're pregnant or not, but it tends to pop up more in pregnant women because of all the extra nutrient demands on your body.

Are you taking a prenatal? Have your blood generally come back okay? You might want to bring it up again with either your GP or a different midwife as it's definitely something they should be helping you to fix to make sure you and baby are getting everything you need (and to make sure you don't get the urge to eat anything that could be harmful).

Another fun thread that's gone off on a tangent... I'm sure OP has the good sense not to eat anything too dangerous!!

That's so bad actually! She definitely should know better! Yes, it's a somewhat rare condition called pica and is almost always related to being deficient in some vitamin or mineral (often with iron deficiency anemia). You can get it whether you're pregnant or not, but it tends to pop up more in pregnant women because of all the extra nutrient demands on your body.

Are you taking a prenatal? Have your blood generally come back okay? You might want to bring it up again with either your GP or a different midwife as it's definitely something they should be helping you to fix to make sure you and baby are getting everything you need (and to make sure you don't get the urge to eat anything that could be harmful).

My bloods are always fine, and my midwife isn't concerned. No I don't take prenatals. I didn't make this thread to get advice, just for fun! There is nothing wrong with mine or my babes health.

Anyway, haha the dirt off potatoes!! Never heard of that 1! I think soap seems to b one a lot of women crave haha. Another one for me is bubbles! Like the bubbles in the bath haha. Dh thinks im so strange... :)

Another fun thread that's gone off on a tangent... I'm sure OP has the good sense not to eat anything too dangerous!!

Exactly, I crave pâté like there's no tomorrow but it doesn't mean I'm gona go eat it! And I really had the urge to smoke the other day but I wont be doing that either! (I never even smoked before) so god knows why I wanted that haha x

Exactly, I crave pâté like there's no tomorrow but it doesn't mean I'm gona go eat it! And I really had the urge to smoke the other day but I wont be doing that either! (I never even smoked before) so god knows why I wanted that haha x

So funny you should say that, I hadn't thought of it before but DH had a work party and there were ppl smoking outside and I thought, that smells lovely, I want one! Even though I've never smoked and never felt the urge before. I wonder what we're deficient in to want to smoke a fag lol! OBVIOUSLY I didn't try it but still..

ditto the pate omg all that blue cheese and pate in my fridge over xmas was torture lol :dohh:

God knows, my dh smokes, not in the house but outside and he always makes th effort to make sure it doesn't blow in my face ect but I found myself trying to sniff it hahaha. I usually think its gross! Pregnancy does odd things to u!

One of my friends used to eat stones!! She would chew on them lol. She had a few tests but nothing came back, just one of those things!

my craving was johnsons talc powder... still to this day i crave it badly!! even writing it i want some lol

xx

Lol at the talc. That stuff smells lovely though!! X

was just gunna say its a fun thread,:S i never actually sat there chewing on a brick lool i have common sence but craved it soo bad i did however have iron dificancy and needed 3 drips, ahaha soap and talc lol

the smell of cold...like the freezer, cold section of the supermarket, the air coming from the a/c. lol i also eat ice all day long. apparently even that is classed as pica but i'm not deficient in anything. :) i also love the smell of cigarette smoke even though i usually hate it and have never smoked. I only like it when i'm pregnant.

During my first pregnancy I would have been quite happy to spend entire days at the gas station, breathing in the gasoline smells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->