Crying/sceaming hunger?

Heavenx

Reaction score
I'm hoping for any advice on why my baby is screaming.

Sophia is 2 months and has been fed every 4 hours pretty much since day 1, she's currently on 5oz which the HV recommend she be on and Sophia is happy taking it all, sometimes she may not finish it all, leaving an oz or half.
I've noticed this past week that she's been wanting her bottle earlier than usual but we've managed to keep her to every 4 hours on the 5oz.

Tonight she woke 2hours after a last feed, she was crying and screaming blue murder, we checked her nappy, temperature and if it was colic but it didn't appear to be any of those, we decided to give her a bottle and she guzzled it down.

Do you think she was screaming blue murder simply through hunger? Am I naive in not understanding why she was hungry for another bottle just 2 hours after her last. If I start feeding on demand, how much would I give her, surely not the full 5 oz?

Thanks in advance for any replies x

She could have hit a growth spurt. It never hurts to try feeding her. If it is a growth spurt her eating will settle down after a few days. I know when Hannah's hit her growth spurts she'd eat 17 ounces in a 6 hour period in the evenings :shock:

Also if it isn't that she's hungry maybe she has trapped gas? Or is a bit constipated (has she had a bowel movement lately). She could also be overly tired (Hannah screams bloody murder if she gets overly tired).

Thanks for replying, I think constipation probably has something to do with it as this will be the 3rd day if she doesn't have a movement today, think I'll try to see the Dr tomorrow and mention it and about her crying/screaming outbursts. It's just worse when you can't pin point what is causing it.

Thanks again.

it sounds like she is having a growth spurt, i wouldn't worry just feed on demand (if she wants 5oz every couple of hours then give it to her) she will soon settle down

I agree,if it's a growth spurt,no harm in giving her more.Lola is also 2 months and I've noticed she's been craving more too...:)
Once she gets throught it she'll get back to normal.

Hi My little boy is 12 weeks now and he has never gone four hours for a feed he is every three hours and he is on 7oz in his bottles. What I used to do with him is when he was finishing his bottles on a regular basis down to the last drop and still seemed hungry I would add an extra oz to his bottles. But like the other mums have said she could be having a growth spurt. Good luck x

Never hurts to try feeding again, if it is a growth spurt her feeds will settle back down. Feed on demand, your baby will not eat if not hungry. Hope she feels better soon.

My LO had a phase last week where she ate 18oz in two hours - every night for five days. We would give her her usual 5oz so she would cry, then give her another 5 and she would cry, go to sleep for half an hour, then she would cry and take a full 5oz, then 2 or 3 and then she slpt through til morning. Asked the HV who said it is normal - just like a BF'ed baby cluster feeding during a growth spurt.

Also thought I would add that some babies don't do a BM during a growth spurt - they use as much of the milk you give them to help them grow and will get back to normal after

I'm hoping for any advice on why my baby is screaming.

Sophia is 2 months and has been fed every 4 hours pretty much since day 1, she's currently on 5oz which the HV recommend she be on and Sophia is happy taking it all, sometimes she may not finish it all, leaving an oz or half.
I've noticed this past week that she's been wanting her bottle earlier than usual but we've managed to keep her to every 4 hours on the 5oz.

Tonight she woke 2hours after a last feed, she was crying and screaming blue murder, we checked her nappy, temperature and if it was colic but it didn't appear to be any of those, we decided to give her a bottle and she guzzled it down.

Do you think she was screaming blue murder simply through hunger? Am I naive in not understanding why she was hungry for another bottle just 2 hours after her last. If I start feeding on demand, how much would I give her, surely not the full 5 oz?

Thanks in advance for any replies x

jack was not drinking all his milk either & moaning a couple of hrs after his last feed hv told me to buy new teats with bigger holes & he is so much better & now drinking most of his bottle & he isn,t moaning for more . violet x

I tried feeding on dmand and it was a nightmare, for both of us....

She is on a schedule and we are stickng to it... Id see if you can get her to drink a little more then 5oz...

tom always guzzled his 5oz so one day i did 6, he guzzled that, the next day i did 7oz, he guzzled that, the next day i did 8 and he left half an oz. he has always drunk that much since! just because the HV says 5oz every 4 hours, doesnt mean that is what your LO wants. If you make up your bottles in advance, make an extra one up and she drinks the whole bottle, pour in another oz. If she drinks that, pour in another and so on until you find just how much she wants to drink. When she starts leaving milk in the bottom regularly, then you know her growth spurt is over.

If she was bfing, then she would simply drink as much as she could. as often as she could. So don't limit her. If she wants more, give her more.

As for teats, if your lo is taking 20 mins plus to drink a bottle then she needs to go up a stage. Stage one doesnt last very long at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->