Cutting down BF when returning to work

Cattia

Reaction score
OK, this is a little way off as my DD is only 4 months old. When I return to work she will be just 7 months. When I went back to work with the older two I pumped at work twice a day. I'm a teacher and I was pumping through break and lunch, it was too much. I didn't get a break, didn't get to see my colleagues at all as I was stuck in a room and was always rushing to get my admin done. This time when I go back, I want to wean her onto formula during the day but carry on BF morning and night (she currently sleeps through). Do you think this will be possible? If it means my supply dries up I would rather pump at work, much as I don't want to. I also wonder whether I would be able to re-introduce the odd daytime feed at weekends / holidays or would that just be too difficult with supply?

I'm not sure about 7 months but at 1year I went back to work and just fed my LO 3times a day (morning, nursery pick up and before bed). My supply was fine.

If your LO is still feeding quite a lot you need to be careful about Mastitis if you suddenly swap to bottles during the day. To avoid mastitis you might want to pump once a day and gradually reduce how long you do it for. Letting your employers know that mastitis can cause illness absence and allowing you time and space to pump will reduce that likelihood might help?

I'm a bit surprised your work hasn't made better allowances for pumping your breastmilk. Had you told them prior to returning that you were still bf and needed pumping arrangements?

If going back part time you could request non-consecutive days or half days for a few months...it all depends on how flexible they can be. I often find women assume their workplace won't be flexible, so don't ask. But actually some places just don't think to be proactively flexible because no-one ever asked. So basically "don't ask, don't get" so you may as well ask for your most perfect solution and see how far they will go to accommodate you.

I'm not sure about 7 months but at 1year I went back to work and just fed my LO 3times a day (morning, nursery pick up and before bed). My supply was fine.

If your LO is still feeding quite a lot you need to be careful about Mastitis if you suddenly swap to bottles during the day. To avoid mastitis you might want to pump once a day and gradually reduce how long you do it for. Letting your employers know that mastitis can cause illness absence and allowing you time and space to pump will reduce that likelihood might help?

I'm a bit surprised your work hasn't made better allowances for pumping your breastmilk. Had you told them prior to returning that you were still bf and needed pumping arrangements?

If going back part time you could request non-consecutive days or half days for a few months...it all depends on how flexible they can be. I often find women assume their workplace won't be flexible, so don't ask. But actually some places just don't think to be proactively flexible because no-one ever asked. So basically "don't ask, don't get" so you may as well ask for your most perfect solution and see how far they will go to accommodate you.

Thanks for this. I'm a teacher so I can only have breaks at set times during the day, when the students don't have lessons. I didn't enjoy pumping at all, and don't really want to do it again. I think I will cut down gradually as you suggest, and maybe pump for a week or so until I adjust. I had mastitis a lot with my older two so I know how horrible it can be!

You may want to start formula or frozen milk during the day a couple of weeks before you go back to "train" your body to a new breastfeeding schedule. Give that BFing supply is all about demand, you may be able to make it work the way you need it to. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->