Cyst on ovary????

Kasia

Reaction score
I was in a car accident in beg of April and my chiro ordered an MRI. Well, he was looking closer at the results yesterday, and told me they see a cyst on my left ovary almost an inch big. I have never experienced this before so I'm freaking out! I called my ob, faxed over the report, and she said they compared my ultrasounds and it looks like it's gone??? They said it's common to have a 1st tri cyst? My concern is that I had 2 u/s prior to my mri and 2 after, and they didn't see it on any of them? Has anyone experienced this. I shouldn't have, but I googled it, and scared myself even more. Any input would be greatly appreciated:flower:

When i was pregnant last year (ended in MMC) they found a cyst on my ovary, they said it shouldnt cause any problems but that they would monitor it. In the end i had to have it removed afterwards beacuse it was causing me pain but mine was quite a bit bigger than that, generally they don't cause any issues as far as i'm aware.

I have one, too. It's called a corpus lutum cyst. My ultrasound tech told me that it's actually a good sign, as it helps support the pregnancy. It usually disappears in 2nd tri. Mine was much smaller from my first scan to my second. Nothing to worry about! Especially since yours is gone. :)

I had a few before my pregnancy I wouldn't compare them coz mine were bad to the point of needing two people to lift it out weighing hospital scales and over spilling massive hospital sinks BUT I trained as a nurse mainly on epau and gynae, I had loads of pregnant patients with cysts most bigger than yours and they all had healthy babies. Cysts are so common most people don't know they've even had them, you have to be really unlucky for them robe really bad.

Weird Kasia...did they agree it was a cyst on the MRI? Was it fluid filled? Did they miss a cyst on your previous ultrasounds (they shouldn't have.) Did you have any symptoms that could have been the cyst rupturing?

Without dates of all your imaging it is hard to put a possible scenario together. The only thing I can think is that they saw a small one on an early first tri ultrasound and didn't say anything because it was small (commonly if a cyst is detected at, say, the 8 wk ultrasound they will bring you in for a follow up to monitor it's growth, although many do disappear on their own). Maybe in the meantime, between your ultrasounds it grew (MRI picked it up) and then ruptured or disappeared.

If it were me I would ask your OB more questions, now that the info has sunk in a bit. There are certain things that are harder to visualize on ultrasound and but may be picked up on MRI. I'm sure your OB knows this stuff and has evaluated your situation, but I might ask if it was possible that there is something the MRI is picking up and the ultrasound is missing.

Cysts on your ovaries are VERY common, and actually an inch is not big at all. I had one the size of a baseball! And in the first tri most women should have a cyst (corpus lutum)- It helps support the hormones needed in early pregnancy!

I'm going for my 20week u/s a week from Monday so they will double check everything. Thanks for the replies ladies:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->