D and C, Medical Evac or Natural Miscarriage?

Lizbet12

Reaction score
I should be 11wks pregnant but have miscarried the sac and embryo haven't passed yet and I've been bleeding for 2 weeks. Does anyone have experience of the above and is able to give thoughts on which avenue to pursue?

I'm so sorry hun :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I had a mmc last year and found out at my dating scan, I was given the same options and I had a D&C the following day. I still had pregnancy symptoms and honestly couldn't have coped with waiting to miscarry naturally.

:hugs:

I had a natural MC but it only took 1 day to have everything pass, if its being dragged out perhaps youll end up needing a d&C anyway, so maybe opt for that?

Hi hun, sorry for your loss :(, i've had a natural mc which happened approx 2 weeks after I found out my baby had died at 8 weeks, I had only light spotting and then when i finally miscarried it took around 30-45 mins for everything to pass, I had mild cramping then for a few days and bleeding for 4 weeks, this time I opted for a d&c as I didnt think I could go through a natural emotionally again. I bled almost about a week after finding out my pregnancy wasnt valid, for a week until my scheduled d&c, I have found recovery worse from the d&c I think mainly as I am not too good with anethesic, also 2 days later I have no bleeding, everyone is different. I think it is entirely how you think you will cope, I found my natural really emotionally draining and this time i just wanted it over without worrying when it might happen. If you think you will be ok, maybe wait another week but if you think it will be too difficult for you opt for a d&c, it is sad either way, I cried buckets when I came round from op, but still not found it so hard as a natural, good luck, whatever you decide:hugs:

I should be 11wks pregnant but have miscarried the sac and embryo haven't passed yet and I've been bleeding for 2 weeks. Does anyone have experience of the above and is able to give thoughts on which avenue to pursue?

hi hun so sorry for your loss, i to should of been 11 weeks when i found out my baby didn't progress past 6-8weeks (last week) i tried to go for the natural option and bled with contraction type pains all last week i went for my re-scan today and found nothing has really past, the sac is still visable so there for i booked in for a d&c on monday, i had that with my last mmc in dec i recovered well from it but everyone is different its not an easy decision to make either way, i wish you all the best :thumbup:

I should have been 11 weeks this week as well. I was given the same options as you, and at first decided to wait it out -- I like to try and take natural options whenever possible. I waited 5 days and couldn't take it anymore. I miscarried naturally a few years ago and it was quite painful, not to mention a big mess....and the thought of waiting for that to happen and knowing it could happen while I was at work, at the gym, at the grocery store -- anywhere! -- drove me nuts. Also, I'm leaving the country next week for vacation and the last thing I wanted to worry about was miscarrying and bleeding in another country, or having complications.

Long story short, I called last week and they got me in for a D&C. I was VERY nervous, but the procedure went well, I was completely asleep and afterward they were very, very good/considerate about pain management and making sure I was okay. I had no bleeding afterward -- just some spotting that didn't even fill a pantyliner. They also gave me a prescription for 800mg motrin and hyrocodone. I don't think I was ever in enough pain to warrant taking the hydrocodone, but I took it anyway because I was on medical leave from work and just wanted to feel numb. I know this sounds strange, but oddly enough it really helped with the emotional pain....I was still really sad, but it made me tired and out of it so I wasn't hysterical or crying all the time. For the first two days after the procedure it *really* helped me not obsess over the situation.

Anyway, after having a natural MC and now a D&C, I would probably go for a D&C again. It's more expensive, but the process of having a MC is already so physically and emotionally painful, having the D&C really makes the whole process easier to bear I think. I bled very heavily for 5 weeks with my natural MC -- it was awful. I had also considered taking the medication they offer to induce the miscarriage, but sometimes women still have to get a D&C because all the "products of conception" are still in the uterus. If you've already been bleeding for 2 weeks, I would recommend the D&C to get everything taken care of.....then you're not waiting and wondering every day if you've passed everything or not, and then you can just move on.

Sorry for my VERY long response, I just wanted to help. Having agonized over this decision myself, I wanted to share the information/experiences I have. Hope it helps, and best wishes with everything. xoxo

id vote for d&c, quick, painless except for the cramps afterwards, but you get pills for that! and its not as emotional, the pills help keep you a bit calm too. i only shed a few tears right when i woke up from the surgery, not even sure why, i think just happy i was awake and my husband was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->