D&C pros and cons?

xloulabellex

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
If/when the time comes and I'm asked if I want a D&C... Does anyone have any opinions, views? Pros? Cons? Do you bleed less, is it painful, are you asleep when they do it?

Any info would be great, thanks!

Hi Hun, sorry you're going through this.
I had a D&C yesterday so can only comment on how I'm feeling right now.
But I'm feeling ok. When I first went to discuss my options, I had my heart set on medical management, involving the tablets. I was devastated because my hospital said they don't offer it there. So had no choice but to go in for the D&C

Right now I'm feeling that actually it was the best way. Minimal pain, I've only had a very small amount of period pain so far. The bleeding was quite heavy after the first hour, but it tapered off quite quickly. Now I'm only on a period like bleed, that isn't too heavy.
I was asleep whilst they done it. It took about 10/15 minutes and I woke up about 30 minutes after they finished.
Was a little tired for about 20 minutes after but then felt like I had had a good rest and wasn't tired after that till bed time.
It's not nice not being able to eat before hand, but that doesn't really matter because I was able to eat pretty much straight after.
Xx

I'm so sorry that you are going through this.
I haven't had my D&C yet but I started the miscarriage process 6 1/2 weeks ago and I am still bleeding from it. Depending on what the blood results say on monday I'm going to have to have a D&C anyway. I guess the pros are that you know everything will be out of your system, from what I hear there is hardly any heavy bleeding and you bleeding a lot less. When my mother had a D&C she bled for a few days....I have been bleeding for six weeks. You have to deal with tissue passing through you and the risk of hemorrhaging (like I did).
If I had to do it all over again I would get the D&C

Sorry both of you going through this :(

I'm not entirely sure what is going on with my body right now but I've got a scan on Monday and not assuming good news. Low betas, spotting/bleeding and cramping the past two days. Bla.

Thanks for the opinions! Sorry you ladies are having a sucky time too. Sending u love xx

Well I'm praying for you Hun. Really hope you get a miracle. Let us know how it goes, or if you just need to chat. You're never alone xx

Thanks Hun, appreciate it! Back at you!
Feeling so low atm :( going to Harry Potter tour tomorrow in London so that should help keep me busy til my scan on Monday which is thankfully nice and early at 8:30am Monday morning.. Just going through the typical "why me" atm! Xxx

Hope everything turns out alright with you, but just wanted to add my two cents.

I had a d&c and I would definitely do it again if I had to. I only bled for a few days. I was asleep and had no pain at all. I had actually started bleeding and cramping the night before I was scheduled to go in for my d&c at 6am. It was the worst pain of my life. I thought I was going to pass out. Once I had my procedure done the next morning, there was no more pain. I didn't really even have to take the pain pills she gave me.

For me, it was all about just moving on and getting that part over with. I didn't want to be one of those people that just kept bleeding and bleeding and then had to have a d&c anyway. I was ready to start over. We started ttc again right after my first period.

I agree with kdmalk. I had a mmc and waited two weeks for baby to pass (which was 4 weeks after hb stopped) and then opted for the D&C, I was terrified but wish Id done it beforehand. I was very uncomfortable for 24 hours post op and had horrid gas pain but minimal bleeding and went back to work after 4 days x

Sorry for your losses ladies! I had a miscarriage also 5 weeks ago almost. I opted for a d&c or ercp which they call it now involves them putting catheter through cervix and sucking out contents of conception. I have had a natural miscarriage too at 10 weeks and I found that really dramatic the pain was similar to labour pains and bleeding was bad. After the D&C I had minimal pain and minimal bleeding just spotting really! I would defo have one again if unfortunate enough to be in that position! It gave me closure and helped me heal emotionally and physically. I have just got my first period since procedure and it feels good to be back on track again! Let us know what you decide xx

Good luck this cycle issacralph! Hope yourr doing ok hun x

Thanks blu but we are ntnp for a while so we shall see xx hope your pregnancy is going well

I'm so sorry, everyone.

I had a d&c after trying to mc naturally for two weeks. I didn't bleed for a few days after the d&c, but then had almost two weeks of bleeding that was like a mod-heavy period.

I had wanted to do it naturally bc my doc said I could ttc sooner (Idk if all docs agree with that). But many women have pregnancies very soon after a d&c, so it's up to the individual. I will say that the d&c was great for emotional closure. Waiting is difficult.

I just had my D&C done today and I wish I would have done it sooner. I went in at 10 and I was out by 1 that afternoon. I had some mild cramping after everything was said and done and a little bleeding. But my bleeding is incredibly light. I don't even remember being put under lol (yes you are asleep when they do it). I just remember getting wheeled into a room and asked to switch over to another bed and then that was it XD.

This minor surgery would have saved me so much pain and heartache and it sure beats the 2 months of bleeding I had. I would recommend getting the D&C over a natural miscarriage any day after this experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->